Main Menu

EXCLUSIVE - FIRST STILL FROM DREDD!

Started by Cyber-Matt, 19 November, 2010, 05:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Looks good - helmet is totally authentic, gloves are right, shoulder pad looks very McMahon '77 (shame we can't see if the other has the eagle design), bit more body armour than we're used to for Joe, but that's only to be expected. Quite grungy looking, but it's Dredd all right.

bluemeanie

Very cool. Obviously gone less "costume" and more "riot gear" which works for me and will work for the movie I'm sure

I'm just happy to see the f*cking thing. I mean... they're ACTUALLY MAKING IT!!
:P

Steve Green

The big problem I have with it is the scale of the helmet - it swamps the actor, and looks like he's been given the wrong size, almost like a kid in the helmet.

Maybe it's just a bad angle.

locustsofdeath!

Not to be negative but my first thought was: 'Helmet's too big, look like Judge Helmet' and the second thought was 'Too much stubble', but who knows how it'll all look in the film and in better production stills. I do like the uniform overall though.

uncle fester

davethomson

It is just a rehearsal photo, so maybe Karl will have a shave before filming and the props bunch can give him a ruddy great prosthetic chin.
Everything I know about life, I learnt from old school hip-hop. Don't sweat the technique!

Mike Carroll

Quote from: KarlUrbanschin on 19 November, 2010, 05:15:28 PM
Another major weakness (sorry to be unduly negative)...

So, you registered as a user of this site just to nit-pick the costume design, right? How nice!

Paul faplad Finch

It works for me, definitely.  It was never going to be an exact copy of the comic but considering some of the paranoid horror stories people were stressing about this is close enough.

It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Mike Carroll

Quote from: KarlUrbanschin on 19 November, 2010, 05:19:10 PM
The shoulderpads look rubbish - ...

See, people would take you more seriously if you weren't always so negative!

RandomFactor

I think as long as it sticks to the main themes of the uniform, then fair play.  If I want a true and faithful representation on the comic uniform, I'll read the comic.

It's much easier to just think of the films as a different continuity.  Don't get me wrong, I totally understand why some people are so protective of Dredd, but look at all the different Batman costumes there have been over the years, all totally different from each other, but instantly recognisable as Batman.  I think the uniform will have achieved it's purpose if it looks plausible in the context of the film, and is recognisable to casual observers. 

(Though we can't see over 50% of it, so the jury's still out!)

Beeks

Quote from: KarlUrbanschin on 19 November, 2010, 05:19:10 PMcan't even see the eagle on his right side.

erm..that's because you can't see that side of his body at all maybe?
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

zombemybabynow

QuoteOh looks awful

Agreed and où est le menton ?
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

LARF

You know what. It would be really nice if some people join the board and say 'hello' first rather than just bounding in and being negative.

...and if you are Scojo, sling your hook.

Beeks

Quote from: KarlUrbanschin on 19 November, 2010, 05:27:37 PM
Does it look better than this:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4386307946_ca9284b63f.jpg

I thought the film was going to be faithful to the character?

If you want to make changes, make them better. Since when did any fan or anyone associated with Judge Dredd ever say "Ezquerra's Dredd design is kind of rubbish." No-one has ever said that. It's never needed change. It's perfect for the character. Change like this, with reduced shoulderpads and a copy of the original Stallone badge, doesn't enhance the look of the character.

Badge aside it's nothing like Stallones Dredd
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens