Main Menu

Just saw the movie: What references did you notice?

Started by marcusninja, 07 September, 2012, 04:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Speaking of the gun, I noticed Dredd loading a clip into the grip/handle* rather than changing that chunky magazine at the front. I assume that's where the standard rounds are stored, and the chunky one is for the special things? (I'm not suggesting an error there by the way. I understand that's how the gun works - this is just an interesting thing that I noticed.)

[spoiler]Incidentally, I never quite saw the point of the Hot Shot round at the start, except as a cool (well okay, hot literally speaking) effect. He shot straight - wouldn't a standard round have done?

Of course this is mainly based ont he fact that I don't really know what a hot shot round does. Maybe it's a mixture of incendiary and heatseeker, except it homes in on a particular persons heat signature - i.e. Dredd wasn't risking hitting the hostage.[/spoiler]

*The bit you hold.

COMMANDO FORCES

I suppose he used that round as any other may have hit bone and ricocheted off towards the hostage.

judda fett

there was a 20 seconds to comply line which is from robocop which i took to be a ref to the original robocop using dredd lines.

A.Cow

Quote from: Mardroid on 09 September, 2012, 03:56:02 AM
[spoiler]Incidentally, I never quite saw the point of the Hot Shot round at the start, except as a cool (well okay, hot literally speaking) effect. He shot straight - wouldn't a standard round have done?

I'd presumed that the shock effect of the burning will stop the perp from pulling the trigger.  With a standard round he may still've had enough reflex to kill the hostage.

A.Cow

Oops -- darn this lack of edit function!

Presuming that plot stuff should be spoiler-tagged like Mardroid's, please could a mod obscure my response?  Many thanks.

HdE

Quote from: judgefett on 09 September, 2012, 04:39:34 AM
there was a 20 seconds to comply line which is from robocop which i took to be a ref to the original robocop using dredd lines.

I took it as a reference to the Dredd movie using Dredd lines.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

judda fett

Quote from: HdE on 09 September, 2012, 05:25:11 AM
Quote from: judgefett on 09 September, 2012, 04:39:34 AM

I took it as a reference to the Dredd movie using Dredd lines.
you have 20 seconds to comply is an ed209 line from robocop, seeing as its well known that robocop used a dredd line from a 2000ad cover id be suprised if that line turning up in dredd was a coincidence.

shaolin_monkey

There was another movie poster by the Owen Krysler one, featuring a woman with a bald head. Did anyone get a good look at it, or figure out the reference?

Eric Plumrose

Dirty Harry's "Do I feel lucky?" monologue gets riffed by Dredd at some point. Buggered if I can remember where or exactly what he says.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Brian21

It was quick but im sure at the beginning during the riot the text said something about a Fergee memorial service.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: JPMaybe on 08 September, 2012, 11:50:24 PM
Quote from: marcusninja
- The fact that there were only two hi ex rounds

Was that established in the comic somewhere?

In the Games Workshop RPG, the Hi-Ex round was an 'extra' piece that was placed on top of a standard shell before firing, so when you ran out of standard rounds, you couldn't use Hi-Ex either. Maybe this is the same?

Psidude

volt was a big lad! loved all the little reference to the prog great stuff :D

atp

Quote from: spireite68 on 08 September, 2012, 01:46:05 AM
The word DROKK painted on a leather jacket belonging to the perps in the van at the very start.

Spot on I was just watching here's Johnny the other day.
The freedom of choice should be compulsory

atp

Quote from: HdE on 08 September, 2012, 01:36:44 AM
I saw the name 'Hicklenton' on a block, and let out an audible 'aw', which my buddy's girlfriend noticed, and I had to later explain.

A nice tribute to a unique artist.

Spot on I was just watching here's Johnny the other day.
Sorry wrong quote post before.
The freedom of choice should be compulsory

JPMaybe

Quote from: Mardroid on 09 September, 2012, 03:56:02 AM
Speaking of the gun, I noticed Dredd loading a clip into the grip/handle* rather than changing that chunky magazine at the front. I assume that's where the standard rounds are stored, and the chunky one is for the special things?

I loved that little detail. A particularly fine example of how much thought and care was put into the film.

Regarding the stun rounds, am I right in thinking they first showed up in (the Wagner scripted?) Judge Dredd:Lawman of the Future?
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation