Main Menu

Treasury of British Comics Annual 2024?

Started by rogue69, 29 May, 2023, 10:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

Would be great if they could start doing 2000ad annuals

nxylas

Quote from: moly on 02 June, 2023, 08:51:58 PMWould be great if they could start doing 2000ad annuals
Depends on whether anything has changed since they stopped doing them the last time. Though I suppose if this annual sells well, it might show that there's a market for annuals aimed at an audience which probably overlaps considerably with 2000AD's readership.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

The Enigmatic Dr X

I just want an annual.

I used to get a Beano, Cor! and Monster Fun - plus Dredd and 2000ad (and Rogue etc when there was an outlier.)

They were my most precious presents. Looking back, I realise my parents bought them and gave them to my grandparents to pass to me as gifts. They are therefore associated with family.

I still have every annual I got and I really love them. They're great reads if you need a poo quick read.
Lock up your spoons!

The Corinthian

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 June, 2023, 04:53:41 PMMost annuals are loss leaders. They are not profitable.

TPO says exactly the opposite: "These hardcover books were hugely lucrative for the company, selling large numbers at a high cover price. But the projects had such limited budgets a third of the pages had to be filled with reprints." (2007 edition, p76).

Dash Decent

Quote from: J.Ware on 02 June, 2023, 05:42:14 PMBut what about the next generation?
Don't they have a right to read Phantom Patrol?
And how will they learn about the space shuttle (which is going to change everything by the year 2000)?

That's all covered.  I'm sure they'll all be rushing out next week to buy the re-release of The Usborne Book of the Future.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Ahem, let's try that again.

I'm sure they'll all be rushing out next week to buy the re-release of The Usborne Book of the Future!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Futurep?

Aarrgh!  Can we PLEASE get a longer edit window?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

AlexF

I'll take an accidental double-post if it generates a tiny bit more publicity!  :lol:

Barrington Boots

This looks great! And it contains new material you say?

'The Leopard from Lime Street Vs The Spider by Simon Furman, David Roach and Mike Collins'

This sounds like it could be very cool...

'Black Beth by Alec Worley and DaNi'

Very excited by this...

'Gustav of the Bearmacht'

OMG AUTO BUY.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dash Decent

My copy arrived a couple of days ago, thus being with me in Australia before the release date!  But now it goes away into hiding until Christmas.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Doomlord66

The story Final Victim has triggered a memory of reading this as a child. Can anyone tell me where this is reprinted from?

Funt Solo

Quote from: Doomlord66 on 12 January, 2024, 10:47:47 PMThe story Final Victim has triggered a memory of reading this as a child. Can anyone tell me where this is reprinted from?

QuoteTHE FINAL VICTIM – by Pat Mills, Derek Cribbling, and Joe Colquhoun. Originally published in Valiant Book of Mystery & Magic 1976
- from link.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

I thought this annual was superb. If Rebellion can do this every year it's a surefire sale from me.

Excellent selection of reprints, and because the individiual stories were so short, I could be halfway through the book and it still felt like I had hundreds of stories to go, which for me recaptured a crucial bit of Christmas annual nostalgia - that feeling that the book could last forever, that almost unlimited reading stretched out before me. Some of the stories were a bit weak to the modern-in-his-40s reader but the wonderful artwork and pure nostalgia carries them.

Hugely enjoyed all three new strips: the Spider / Leopard story was an old school delight, whilst the other two didn't fit into the nostalgic theme, which made them feel quite special: Black Beth is too good to be relegated to annuals and specials imo - it looks incredible, and whilst each story is self contained, there's a real slow burn plot across them all. Gustav is also ridiculously fun and I hope it continues to pop up here and there, I can't really see enough nazis eaten by bears (although I did think it was slightly more adult pitched than the rest of the annual with its content).

Great stuff really, I hope we can get another one this year.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

My sentiment as well, I would even extend it to ask if we can get a 2000AD, Judge Dredd, Battle/Action, Treasury annuals every year
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Swerty

I'd love to get more Annuals.This one now of stock I thought they might of tried shifting any remaining copies in a sale.