Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2022

Started by Dash Decent, 20 July, 2021, 01:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Mm. See also Dan Dare Corp, which is sitting on a bunch of stuff that will never see the light of day again. There's also nothing to stop Oink creators licensing a strip to a publisher, but then they'd have to find a publisher that's interested and the deal would have to be viable. I suspect a lot of people suddenly find their IP isn't really worth that much in the cold light of day.

Richard

How do the Dan Dare Corporation expect to make any money? Tossers!

IndigoPrime

Richard

Yeah because they're always releasing new Dan Dare stuff all the time.

13school

My guess is that the Dan Dare Corp (and some of the other IP owners who seem to just be sitting on material) refuse to accept a lot of (what seem to be reasonable) offers because if they did accept they'd be setting a price below what they've valued their IP at.

They'd rather bring in zero income and claim it's worth X million pounds than make at least some money but have to admit that they previously over-estimated the value. I'm assuming there's a tax advantage or similar involved somewhere along the line.

GordonR

Quote from: 13school on 23 May, 2022, 05:46:04 AM
My guess is that the Dan Dare Corp (and some of the other IP owners who seem to just be sitting on material) refuse to accept a lot of (what seem to be reasonable) offers because if they did accept they'd be setting a price below what they've valued their IP at.

They'd rather bring in zero income and claim it's worth X million pounds than make at least some money but have to admit that they previously over-estimated the value. I'm assuming there's a tax advantage or similar involved somewhere along the line.

if you look at the Companies House info on the rather grandly-titled Dan Dare Corporation, you see its only two personnel  have the same surname (husband and wife team, I'm guessing) and that the company address is a private residence in a very leafy part of Surrey.

There's little to no money actually moving through the company, and. yeah, the impression I get is someone just sitting on their IP in the fading hope it might be worth something again as a film or TV property.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: GordonR on 23 May, 2022, 09:37:28 AM
the company address is a private residence in a very leafy part of Surrey.

Fuck me, you need a few quid to live in that neighbourhood!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

GordonR

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 May, 2022, 09:52:26 AM
Quote from: GordonR on 23 May, 2022, 09:37:28 AM
the company address is a private residence in a very leafy part of Surrey.

Fuck me, you need a few quid to live in that neighbourhood!

Yes. Check out how many of the houses there have private pools, on Google Maps...

broodblik

So Frank Hampson wanted to kill of Dan Dare he could have just handed it to DDC and the task would have been done
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Art

There was a TV show in the early 2000s (CGI, so probably holds up as well as anything CGI around then holds up) and a film announcement a few years back that just kind of disappeared. Though it's theoretically a big IP I'm honestly not sure it's the world really cares that much about stiff upper lip British officers defending the space commonwealth anymore, and if you move too far from that it stops being Dare.

nxylas

Quote from: Art on 23 May, 2022, 03:11:44 PM
There was a TV show in the early 2000s (CGI, so probably holds up as well as anything CGI around then holds up) and a film announcement a few years back that just kind of disappeared. Though it's theoretically a big IP I'm honestly not sure it's the world really cares that much about stiff upper lip British officers defending the space commonwealth anymore, and if you move too far from that it stops being Dare.
Yeah, Pat Mills now says he regrets resurrecting the character in name only for the launch of 2000AD in 1977, even though commercially, it made perfect sense.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

CalHab

I doubt there are many people under 40 who have a clue who Dan Dare is. Its telling that my first exposure to him was through a ZX Spectrum game, not a comic.

IndigoPrime

I had the C64 version of the original Dan Dare. It's a very different game from the other 8-bit versions, with a nicely comic book feel. I never did manage to finish the thing, mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j1uLyWwskc

broodblik

In reality if people do not know about your brand it will eventually disappear in obscurity. I do not see any new material related to DD so I can not see the brand surviving.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

we've had the garth ennis and pete milligan revivals, both of which were problematic in different ways.