2000 AD > General

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Rogue Trooper vs. Time Twister Round 3 Heat 19

<< < (2/4) > >>

Blue Cactus:
Rogue Trooper

IndigoPrime:
Rogue for me just doesn’t hold up. I found the original run paled in comparison to the likes of Sláine, Nemesis and other classic thrills. It was… just there. It felt contrived and old-fashioned, like it had arrived from the earliest era of 2000 AD. There were glimmers of brilliance within, but beyond the premise and one-offs like Cinnabar and that Alan Moore one-off, it never fully clicked for me (and went properly off the deep end during The Hit).

Time Twisters… while I’m unconvinced this kind of series should be in these face-offs, I recall enjoying most of them, and the highs (notably Moore’s) are well beyond anything from Rogue Trooper. So: Time Twisters.

rogue69:
Rogue Trooper

Trooper McFad:
Rogue Trooper

AlexF:
It is weird comparing one-off shorts to a mega-long-running series, but frankly in this case both are SUCH a big part of the Prog, both with their heydays around the same time, that it feels like a fair fight. That said, I find it hard to get as excited about a set of one-offs compared to getting lost in the glory of 'one-man's mission' narratives. I would also say that, for all that Rogue Trooper is an action series, his whole thing of being a grumpy loner who is better at soldeiring than anyone he encounters, really makes the point that WAR IS HELL so effectively I give it a lot of bonus points. I might've wanted to be Johnny Alpha, or Nemesis, or even, in darker momnets, Judge Dredd, but I've never wanted to actually be Rogue - no thanks!

All by way of saying, I'm votin' Rogue Trooper

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version