Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Kingdom vs. Proteus Vex Round 3 Heat 20

Started by Colin YNWA, 24 May, 2022, 06:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Week 3 of Round 3 is 'One and Done' week with no fewer than 3 of the surviving Future Shockesque stories appearing. They all have very interesting ties and ... well we'll see. In my mind though, intriguing as those clashes are, is a modern masters face-off that is one of the ties of the Round for me, not everyone I imagine, but for me...

Two modern classics in one of the ties of the round for me. Kingdom has got Whet with Carver Hale in Round 2. Proteus Vex saw off Zippy Couriers. Now they meet in a tie that will leave at least one Tournament organiser in tears.

Kingdom - more info

Vs

Proteus Vex - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 27th May and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

Huey2

abelardsnazz

Aaron A Aardvark

Proteus has made a strong start but Kindom may be the perfect 2000 Ad story.

Kingdom

IndigoPrime

A harsh draw. We may look back on Proteus Vex as a Nikolai Dante-style classic in years to come. It's already among the best modern thrills in the Prog. But Kingdom for me is one of the best strips to ever appear in the weekly.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Kingdom, which effortlessly created a character and world to rank among the true classics of 2000AD.

Proteus Vex has done nearly enough to join that pantheon... but needs a little more. I feel absolutely sure it will get there very soon.

SBT

Blue Cactus

I want to like Proteus Vex more than I do but for some reason I struggle with it. Maybe a reread would help get my head around it.

Anyway, Kingdom, which I have adored since the first episode.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 24 May, 2022, 08:45:12 AM
Kingdom, which effortlessly created a character and world to rank among the true classics of 2000AD.

A character, a world, and a language!
@jamesfeistdraws

rogue69

Magnetica

Oh man!

I just love Dan Abnett and the fact that Kingdom is my 7th or 8th favourite of his just shows how brilliant he is.

I really want Proteus Vex to be brilliant. It's exactly the kind of thrill we need in the Prog. A modern classic space opera with weird aliens. A spiritual successor to Nemesis (albeit with a different message) or Shakara.

But I'm torn. Dan's strips just have a certain quality in the reading experience, which Is kind of effortless. Very few 2000AD writers can match that (e.g. Wagner, Mills, Alan Moore....).

But this is looking like a landslide and there is no way I'll be voting Kingdom over Brink, Lawless or Insurrection so it's not a final contender for me. So given that I'll give a bit of love to Proteus Vex.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

AlexF

Proteus Vex is full of things to admire, but it's a bowl of all-bran compared to the crunchy nut cornflakes that is Kingdom. Goes down easy, and always room for a second bowl!

Kingdom.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith