Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Journal of Luke Kirby vs. Amazing Maze Dumoir Rd 3 Heat 29

Started by Colin YNWA, 01 June, 2022, 07:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Week 4 has the full range of ties. From probably one of the most one sided match-ups we will see this round... and when I say probably, I mean definitely. To a couple of absolute stinkers. There is as you might imagine plenty in between as well.

This might not be a mismatch on the scale of yesterday's but Luke Kirby, who saw off Armitage last round is just so much more present than Maze Dumoir, amazing or otherwise. The short lived thrill saw off another tiny contenter Darkness Visible last Round but is a giant killer a step too far this time?

Journals of Luke Kirby - more info

Vs

Amazing Maze Dumoir - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 4th June and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

abelardsnazz

BPP

Kirby was of zero interest to me. Whereas maze had peak Gibson so it gets my vote.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Aaron A Aardvark

rogue69

AlexF

Ian Gibson is great but nothiing he did on Maze Dumoir touches the glorious heights of John Ridgway showing us preteens in various stages of absolute terror.

Luke Kirby, gotta be.

credo

Luke Kirby

Why there isn't a stableful of BBC 2000ad adaptations I'll never know. Luke Kirby would be amazing in that format (as would Cradlegrave).

IndigoPrime

Maze feels like nothing more than a pilot to something that then never happened. If you like Gibson's ladies, I guess it's something. Otherwise...

Luke Kirby was always a great strip, to the point I'm still surprised it's by McKenzie (whose other 2000 AD work ranges from just about readable to woeful). It's a pity it just stopped, although it at least did so in a good place. It easily wins here.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

AlexF

Luke Kirby does suffer from that McKenzie-ism where it has this great set-up, some fun characters... and then just fails to go anywhere, slowly. First book: amazng; second book: fine; but byt the time he starts looking for Daddy in Hell it has rather run out of things to say, and we never get anywhere closer to learning what grown-up Kirby might've been up to, beyond reminiscing, and presumably, waiting to age up into grumpy tramp status so he can start finding and mentoring impressionable young lads.

Am now half-tempted to write som fan fic where Luke Kirby is the old man and the story is narrated by a 40-something still stuck in the 90s, with loads of Britpop needle-drops in each panel.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Luke Kirby, which coulda woulda shoulda been Harry Potter - years before its time
Lock up your spoons!

Proudhuff

Journals of Luke Kirby the only boy wizard of any note, don't remember tuther thrill.
DDT did a job on me