Main Menu

Prog 2356 - Thrill-power reaches new heights!

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 October, 2023, 08:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Normally when I download the prog I read it immediately but this years regen's I am struggling to get into. I actually did find that Lowborn was not too bad but the rest I just could not get into it. I see a lot of people like Currie's art  but I am not a big fan. I never like any sport strips because they all are based from the same premises, the underdog that has nothing wins against all odds etc...
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Hawkmumbler

Richard

Yes, I'm entirely in favour of more violence in the Regened prog, but animal cruelty is a different beast (ahem) altogether.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Richard on 02 November, 2023, 10:28:17 PMYes, I'm entirely in favour of more violence in the Regened prog, but animal cruelty is a different beast (ahem) altogether.

Isn't that what shooting robots is for?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Blue Cactus

I don't have much to add to the above comments. Shooting the seriously endangered creature whose habitat you happen to be in and then everyone being happy about it didn't sit well with me. That aside I didn't mind Lowborn too much but that closing line is so cliched I cringed very very hard when I read it. It's not a strip I'm in a rush to see continue.

I couldn't really tell much about the sport in Bladers - is it they skate around in a circle and try to hit each other?

Rolled my eyes at the 'what's Rico gone and done this time' plot but actually having Dredd kind of break the rules a bit might have been an interesting way for Cadet Dredd to start in the first place - what if they had both started off a bit rebellious? I also liked the suggestion that they might get booted out of the Academy if they were found out. Then future episodes would just be Joe and Rico getting a flat together, being unemployed, finding ways to pass the time...

Without debating the decision making around the Regened issues, I will see the frequency of four a year mean it's never quite long enough between each issue that I don't roll my eyes and think 'it's that time again already?' when they come around. Especially in this case because for the third time this year my previous prog hasn't been delivered!

Just time to check in with Joko-jargo to see what madcap youthful scrapes he's up to... oh, he's going to a marketing conference. What a wild and exciting kid you are, Joko!

PS Bring back Renk!

IndigoPrime

QuoteThen future episodes would just be Joe and Rico getting a flat together, being unemployed, finding ways to pass the time...
Cadet Dredd meets Peep Show.

Bad City Blue

Another THRILLING Regened issue!

Nah, just kidding, it was okay - as it usually is these days.

Dredd was okay, his bind with Rico overriding the daystick he has up his butt.

The Future Shock I liked, a nice idea.

Lowborn High was okay, less shite than usual but when you consider what COULD be packed into twenty pages you realise that it drags like a RuPaul convention.

Bladers was like a half assed Inferno, not a patch on the roller derby comic "Fast & Frightening" (Freaktowncomics - well worth a look) which has actual characterisation.

The bosses could easily adapt some genuine early thrills to give them young protagonists, like Invasion, Robo Hunter, Ace Trucking (adventures of young Ace!) and more. They have some incredible IP that I feel would work with the right writers, giving the comics proper action and humour.

But what do I know, eh
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Proudhuff

Nothing here worked for me except the cover. I really want these to work and I realise I'm not the target audience but they really are below par and a pale imitation of the Prog. I wouldn't hand this to a sprog as a intro to comics, especially 2K. These stories lacks darkness, humour, depth and feels like the worse kind of tokenism.

Hopefully we'll get a curmudgeonly misanthrope issue for the likes o me :lol:
DDT did a job on me

Robin Low

Having a bit of a Prog/Meg catch up. I'm not automatically hostile to the idea of the Regened issues, but I was reminded of a strip in Bloom County where Opus is reviewing a movie...

George Phblat's new film 'Bengi Saves the Universe', has brought the word 'bad' to new levels of badness.

Bad acting. Bad effects. Bad everything. This bad film oozed rottenness from every bad scene... simply bad beyond all infinite dimensions of possible badness.

Well maybe not that bad, but Lord, it wasn't good.

As others have noted, great cover. Really great cover.

Regards,
Robin