Main Menu

4k or not?

Started by richerthanyou, 20 March, 2016, 08:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richerthanyou

Anyone here got 4k yet? I've been following the reviews on blu-ray.com and some of them are pretty disappointing. Seems that the computer effects in Mad Max Fury Road (in particular the fire effects) have ended up looking quite fake in the 4k transfer. Also the latest xmen film has been plagued with "artificial and cartoonish" vfx on its 4k disc.

Is 4k too much? Does anyone really notice a difference from normal bluray? Right now I'm not at all inclined to take the leap to 4k. I'd like to know what everyone else thinks about 4k.
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

Old Tankie

Steve Green

Personally I wouldn't bother yet.

I don't have 4K, but from what I've read you need a pretty large screen to even see the difference.

As an acquistition format, great - but as a delivery format I'm dubious whether it will catch on, unless the price drops to the same as HD.

People seem to say HDR makes a bigger difference, but again I think it will take a bit of settling down.

JamesC

I wish someone would make a TV with a CRT effect mode so that old console games looked good on them. If they could find a way of making old light guns work with them too then even better.

I, Cosh

Can't say I care particularly about pin-sharp picture quality, just as long as I can see what's going on. I own precisely one Blu-Ray (Fury Road) and I sometimes think that re-packaging older material, which was filmed with the expectation of being seen in a more forgiving light, can be detrimental to enjoying the finished product rather than beneficial.

So it's a no from me. It'll be a while before I need to buy a new tv anyway.
We never really die.

von Boom

I've been looking at 4k televisions as I'm in the market for a new one. They do look good if they're big enough, but unless you have a 4k signal or 4k player it doesn't add much. And to be honest the 4k film they were playing at the moment was Pixels. No one needs to see Adam Sandler that clearly.

SuperSurfer

I can't help as I still have a Sony CRT TV which will be 20-years-old this year. Blasted thing is too reliable and won't pack in. I can't justify buying a new one as I just don't think the picture quality is as good on new TVs.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Cosh on 20 March, 2016, 02:07:59 PM
I own precisely one Blu-Ray (Fury Road)

The thing that sold me on Blu-Ray wasn't the picture, it was the sound. Compare the opening of Dredd on DVD to Blu-Ray — when he guns that bike, the difference in the sound is just amazing.*

Cheers

Jim

*Of course, this pre-supposes that you have your TV hooked up to a halfway decent set of speakers. I'm not a 5.1 Surround type of guy, but I do have the sound coming out of my TV via a set of Harmon Kardon speakers that do a really nice job.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 March, 2016, 07:58:03 PM
...I do have the sound coming out of my TV via a set of Harmon Kardon speakers that do a really nice job.
My computer is plugged in to Harmon Kardon speakers on your recommendation. Damn fine speakers they are.

Zenith 666

Surround sound makes incredible difference to home movie experience but I've to turn it off and watch movies with headphones because the subwoofer freaks the dog out so much he hides under my bed.Bloody coward.

Buttonman

Is this the new name for 200ad under discussion? It would certainly future proof the old mag for a while.

COMMANDO FORCES

I've not seen any issues of 200ad Buttonman!  Where can I grab a few copies ;)

Buttonman

In my cellar - all you want - just watch the loose step on the way down...

Steve Green

Buttonman needed to hone his letter writing skills on something.