Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 15/04/06, 7.15pm, NEW EARTH...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 15 April, 2006, 05:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

I reckon the ending would've been just as moving if Past-Cassandra had just gone swishing off after their conversation. It was the conversation between Past and Future selves that was most moving, not the compassion that the Past version showed the Future version.
STRIKE !!!

paulvonscott

It was all a bit of a shambles story wise, but looked great and was enjoyable enough.  Tennant was great, look forward to seeing some calm bits though.

Also, I'm guessing RTD has read a few Alan Moore comics as I've seen various things lifted from his stuff, Halo Jones moments in the first one, Constantine Bo in this one.  Could be my imagination, but I've had that dejavu a few times now.  Also, wasn't Moore the first one to mention Time War in his Dr Who strips?

Regardless, I don't see these as flaws.  But as far as the general writing goes, I'm also looking forward to the non RTD stories, sorry!

Leigh S

and look out for the Iron Legion references in episode 3?

wrighty47

Good, enjoyable, light-weight fun imho. Just right for tea-time family entertainment. The kids, especially the 3 year old, loved it.

Plotwise a bit of a mess but looked good, had some great (and some not so great) dialogue, and was mostly well performed, especially from DT & BP.

Thought the cat-nuns were great (if  a little underused). The zombie scenes I enjoyed (a couple of nods to Romero??). Most of the fx were very well done, and the whole 45 mins just flew by. Can't grumble, just didn't blow me away. A solid 6 out of 10 for me.

Alan!

Devons Daddy

so its a winner then?
expecting my copy to arrive by wednesday.
if i paid license fees i would say the BBC are spending them well recently.

Dr who, life on mars,SCI FI on the beeb. wonderful .
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

The Monarch

fun but as many others said not the best really looking foward to a werewolf in (victorian) scotland though

paulvonscott

The Sarah Jane Smith and K9 stuff on the trailer gave me goosebumps.

Eric Plumrose

Yeah, kinda enjoyed it probably 'cos I knew it was written by Russ and wasn't expecting much.

Bits i did'nt like, by DumbLad (age 31 and 3 kwortas):

hhat bizzy insidentl musik they always use in the prolllog when hey're tryna make fings urjent.

Aliens wot look like animals.

doctor Who's racist 'Go play wiv a balla string' indeedy.

fings wot almost worked:

MrTennant. i fink he is be brilliant if only the produkshun teem had'nt make him speek like Mikal Cain. I am wanting a Cyberman will knock him on his gorblimeehead and he started talking like a scottish Proper.

DoctorWh's outrage. So contrive a times as be trite.

hTe endnig. Would of been byootifl had it dunsoafter mr.Chip says his bit. i know MR>CHip is to die, seein it makes me fink its girlie sentimentlpink.

Wot i liked most:

I am likng getting xxcited when dancy peepl dance and htat voice sez "aND Now its time for Doctro Who!!!!!!!!!!!
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

hag

i liked it. messy, cheesy as hell in places & slightly confusing, but isn't that half the point?

also, david tennant, *le sigh* the three 20 year old ladys in my sitting room were so glad that that snog we've been seeing in the ads were just due to flat faces machinations.

Eric Plumrose

Heh. Tennant's reaction immediately after that snog was very Kenneth Connor. C'whor.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Artificial Idiot

Had a little think, and I think in a strange way... This episode worked. Aside from the dodgy resolution to the flesh sub-plot (what is it with this Who and zombies, anyway?!) I thought the other subplots worked quite well together. I mean, who else could send messages across time and space to the psychic paper than the face of Bou? What would the hospital have been without a sinister side that materialised with the Flesh? The petrified man was a really nice aside as well, his assistant was a cow though...

Perhaps splitting the Cassandra and New Earth plots into two different episodes would have worked... But then this episode wouldn't have been anywhere near as fun!

Overall, I quite enjoyed it and it's really good to have it back on the telly! Can't wait for next week, huzzah for Victorian England!

Artificial Idiot

Tweak72

did any one notice the cats growling was the same sample as the fiends from the original Quake?
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Bad Andy

Interesting story - completely messed up resolution though. Pass it on? Do me a favour. Far too convenient.

Billie has once again surprised me with her acting. She was great as Cassandra. Tennant was pretty poor to be honest. I like him, but can't help feeling that he's dicking about and the sudden turns to 'Doctor Snarly' don't help.

I quite liked the Duke's assistant. She had some good lines.

Noisybast

"did any one notice the cats growling was the same sample as the fiends from the original Quake?"

You bastard, Tweak! I'm going to have to watch that again, now!
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!