Main Menu

General feelings on IDW's Dredd

Started by Alfaro, 15 March, 2014, 02:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfaro

Hi all, I couldn't see a general discussion thread on the IDW Dredd line. I was curious to see how others feel about it and whether my reactions hold true.

I only buy the collected graphic novels and have so far got the main Dredd line volumes 1 - 3, Dredd Year One volume one and Mars Attacks Judge Dredd. I have to say that on the whole I have been disappointed and felt that the IDW version does not come near enough to the output of 2000AD/The Megazine.

The main line just does not sit right with me. It has all the hallmarks of an unnecessary remake. I haven't felt engaged with the storylines and it all just feels like it's been done, and done better, before. The inclusion of the Angel Gang for example, just came out of the blue. Did they need to be there? Were these characters used well? The answer to both is really no. There is no feeling of Dredd's world beyond the fact the main readers are already probably familiar with Dredd's usual output. It all just feels like a botched effort.

The writing on Year One was infinitely better but my main disappointment with it is that it doesn't feel like Year One. This just seems like regular old Judge Dredd. There is no sign that this is MC1 a good 20 years before we first ever saw Judge Dredd and his world. I would have preferred for it to be more in line with what we saw depicted in Origins. Make it feel like this is slightly old fashioned. For me, the only real sign that this is a younger Joe Dredd is that he is occasionally referred to as an academy brat.

The one success for me has been Mars Attacks. This felt like the classic dark humour of 2000AD. It was the first of the IDW line where I felt that I had got my money's worth.

So what do you all think about IDW's Dredd output in  general. Does it get better? Is it worth my while continuing to read it? I know they are about to introduce three million new dark judges but will it be a good story? Or are they simply going to be included because, hey, they worked before?
@DJ_AlphaT

Frank

Quote from: Alfaro on 15 March, 2014, 02:58:06 PM
I only buy the collected graphic novels and have so far got the main Dredd line volumes 1 - 3, Dredd Year One volume one and Mars Attacks Judge Dredd ... The main line just does not sit right with me ... Year One was infinitely better but my main disappointment with it is that it doesn't feel like Year One. This just seems like regular old Judge Dredd ... The one success for me has been Mars Attacks. This felt like the classic dark humour of 2000AD. It was the first of the IDW line where I felt that I had got my money's worth.

I like the mini-series just fine, especially Megacity Two. If IDW only wanted to publish good stuff they would have been better off putting out three or four prestige mini-series /trade paperbacks each year, so I assume there's a commercial or PR advantage to having a monthly title in shops every month.

Apestrife

Quote from: sauchie on 15 March, 2014, 03:17:20 PM
Quote from: Alfaro on 15 March, 2014, 02:58:06 PM
I only buy the collected graphic novels and have so far got the main Dredd line volumes 1 - 3, Dredd Year One volume one and Mars Attacks Judge Dredd ... The main line just does not sit right with me ... Year One was infinitely better but my main disappointment with it is that it doesn't feel like Year One. This just seems like regular old Judge Dredd ... The one success for me has been Mars Attacks. This felt like the classic dark humour of 2000AD. It was the first of the IDW line where I felt that I had got my money's worth.

I like the mini-series just fine, especially Megacity Two. If IDW only wanted to publish good stuff they would have been better off putting out three or four prestige mini-series /trade paperbacks each year, so I assume there's a commercial or PR advantage to having a monthly title in shops every month.

What I like most about the reg. IDW Dredd are the covers. Its' a shame the Classic Dredd never saw one of those and only got bad ones.

But I like the minis this far. Year one is quite good, Mars Attacks mega and MC2 is shaping up really nice.

TordelBack

Early issues of the main book put me right off, and I've really only skimmed the later stuff, but I'm a huge fan of City of Courts, story and art, and I happily embrace as proper Dredd.  Whenever I think of 'early' MC-2, this is what I'll be thinking of, so IDW has been a win from my perspective. 

BPP

When they say 'it's nit aimed at you' I don't think they mean '2000ad readers' I think they mean 'adults'.

It's a kids comic. One that seems to be doing well even if we are left open mouthed by it. Personally I think the art is the let down but that's clearly subjective.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

The Bissler

I was given the first IDW graphic novel collection as a birthday present recently.  It was to Dredd what the prequels were to Star Wars.

I'm willing to give Year One a go since I've heard it is much better.

NapalmKev

Quote from: The Bissler on 16 March, 2014, 02:37:23 PM
I was given the first IDW graphic novel collection as a birthday present recently.  It was to Dredd what the prequels were to Star Wars.

I'm willing to give Year One a go since I've heard it is much better.

Dredd year one is absolutely stunning. Well worth purchasing!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

dweezil2

The introduction of the Dark Judges and their expanded troop was pretty gonzo stuff, but I enjoyed it because of this.
The ongoing title has ben on a steady improvement in quality of late, in my opinion, and I have no regrets supporting it.

Year one and Mars attacks Judge Dredd were fantastic.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Bat King

Year One & Mars Attacks Dredd were excellent. More of both would be appreciated.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

shaolin_monkey

Once I'd gotten over how good the script and art were in Mars Attacks, I realised I loved it for even more reasons - Don Uggie Appelino, and the Judge Pal collector cards.  Monkeys and Pal, two things close to my heart!  ;)

I'm hearing such good things about the Mega City 2 collection I'm very tempted to seek it out, or get the trade paperback.

dweezil2

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 20 March, 2014, 08:02:56 AM
Once I'd gotten over how good the script and art were in Mars Attacks, I realised I loved it for even more reasons - Don Uggie Appelino, and the Judge Pal collector cards.  Monkeys and Pal, two things close to my heart!  ;)

I'm hearing such good things about the Mega City 2 collection I'm very tempted to seek it out, or get the trade paperback.

Yeah, Mega City 2 has been really great so far too and the art is gorgeous.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

radiator

IDW are the best US 2000ad publisher by a country mile. In all honesty I have avoided the flagship Dredd title due to the poor word of mouth, but Year One, MC2 and Rogue Trooper have all been high quality, and the Classic colour Dredd reprints look great, if let down by sloppy production, weak cover art and the baffling lack of digital availability.

Molch-R

Quote from: radiator on 20 March, 2014, 12:33:28 PMthe baffling lack of digital availability.

Not so baffling - they don't have digital rights for reprint material that we already have available for purchase digitally worldwide.

Recrewt

First off, I think its great that IDW are relaeasing Dredd/2000AD stuff in the US and it is selling well.

Like many others on this board, I prefer the mini-series to the main strip Dredd.  It has been mentioned many times before that Dredd has had difficulty in the past breaking the US market so it seemed obvious that IDW would have to make changes.  So, we have ended up with a Dredd who is a little less sombre, who makes witty remarks and who seems to get knocked out/captured a lot.  I don't think it is bad although there have been occasions where some of the artwork has been poor. 

In the end, its good news for more Dredd exposure and it seems to be leading the way for Rebellion to start releasing their own US comics like Underbelly.

Apestrife

In the latest Meg they say that IDW (in an interview) will release a short series with Anderson. If it's on par with the other Dredd shorts (or the recent Rogue Trooper) then I'm all for it :)