Main Menu

Banzai Battalion

Started by AlexF, 08 May, 2014, 11:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

No love for the recent reprint of this modern classic from John Wagner?

Got my copy a few weeks ago from the Book Depository, and it's excellent quality all round. Unlike the old oversize Banzai collection, it's at the US trade size and shape, but on the plus side it has all the stories. I was a big fan of the final tale with Steve Roberts on art, good to see the tale of Capt Bug Stomper brought to its rightfuk ending (makes you think there's a chance for a Toy Story 4 to do a similar Psycho riff, which would be ace).

Also included: three Judge Dredd tales (all written by Wagner) about robots gone rogue. None are quite as good as the Banzai stuff, but frankly no one can hold a candle to Wagner when it comes to wringing comedy out of robot personalities. (Anyone remember when ABC Warriors used to be funny? Anyone?)

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: AlexF on 08 May, 2014, 11:57:42 AM
I was a big fan of the final tale with Steve Roberts on art, good to see the tale of Capt Bug Stomper brought to its rightful ending (makes you think there's a chance for a Toy Story 4 to do a similar Psycho riff, which would be ace).

I thought the final tale left them in a very strange place - [spoiler]didn't Bug Stomper go insane and think he was a human or something similar, forcing the Battalion to abandon him to his fate, ranting at a parrot[/spoiler]? I remember thinking at the time that the tone of that final story was very strange all round - generally quite dark for what had previously been a lighthearted romp.

Still, looking forward to revisiting this. The Battalion's solo adventures started just as I began reading the prog, so they've a special place in my heart. Looking forward to seeing how it all began as well! Is the trade a US edition, or does it match the Rebellion line in terms of design?
@jamesfeistdraws

8-Ball

Having never encountered Banzai Battalion before I did appreciate the ties back to older, more familiar, Dredd characters. The final BB tale is a strange one, I get the Hitchcock/Psycho reference but the character shift is somewhat wrenching and it cheapens the earnest heroics of the earlier stories. Having said that I certainly don't regret buying it.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

AlexF

I think the trade is a US edition, but I really can't be sure. The colour scheme strikes me as a touch more pastelly than the UK Rebllion trades.

For me, the final story is purely about the character of Bug Stomper. My guess is Wagner was having so much fun writing the old-fashioned but OTT war story dialogue that he thought he'd push it to the extreme and see what happened. Is does make for a darker tale, but it's logically thought-through, and fits beautifully with Wagner's long ongoing concern about what might happen if people persist in trying to give robots personalities.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: AlexF on 09 May, 2014, 01:52:33 PM
I think the trade is a US edition, but I really can't be sure. The colour scheme strikes me as a touch more pastelly than the UK Rebllion trades.

What I meant by 'Does it match the Rebellion line in terms of design' was 'Will the spine match the others on a shelf or look really out of place?'

Just phrasing it coyly so as not appear the raging spine geek that I really am.  :-\
@jamesfeistdraws

8-Ball

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 May, 2014, 01:59:50 PM
Quote from: AlexF on 09 May, 2014, 01:52:33 PM

What I meant by 'Does it match the Rebellion line in terms of design' was 'Will the spine match the others on a shelf or look really out of place?'

Just phrasing it coyly so as not appear the raging spine geek that I really am.  :-\
No, unfortunately it doesn't match the Rebellion spines.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

8-Ball

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 May, 2014, 02:25:38 PM
:(

That's the downside with these North American releases. Boo!

Grant Goggans

I forgot to mention that this has also been given a slot at my Bookshelf, so I'll piggyback here.

http://hipsterdadsbookshelf.blogspot.com/2014/05/banzai-battalion-just-another-bug-hunt.html