Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

May well have been the same Humble (as if they are) Bundle I got Alex and Ada vol. 1 from and I've just read that and its an absolute trimuph. Loved it and will defo be getting the rest of that. Has been accused of having overly simple art, and while I'm not generally a fan of Jonathan Luna's work here it slightly stilted and stiff simple style seems entirely appropriate. The story is so fair a compelling unromance and quite sublime.

Manhattan Project comes up (from the same Bundle) in my next to read 'bunch'

GordyM

Starve #10 continues the comic's run as one of the best titles on the shelves. Can easily recommend it to anyone looking for a new series to pick up. Quick pitch: it's Transmetropolitan meets Iron Chef.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 30 June, 2016, 05:57:32 PM
May well have been the same Humble (as if they are) Bundle I got Alex and Ada vol. 1 from and I've just read that and its an absolute trimuph. Loved it and will defo be getting the rest of that. Has been accused of having overly simple art, and while I'm not generally a fan of Jonathan Luna's work here it slightly stilted and stiff simple style seems entirely appropriate. The story is so fair a compelling unromance and quite sublime.

Manhattan Project comes up (from the same Bundle) in my next to read 'bunch'
I think it was. Sadly, I didn't much care for that either. I thought the art was rudimentary rather than simple and the writer just seemed enthralled with this revolutionary idea he'd had about how future people might be able to shag a robot. There's substantially more substance in the incidental relationship between PJ and Inga.

And while I'm being sour about everything, Saga vol 6 continues the series' downward trajectory. I've never been as mad for it as the internet but the first few were pretty good entertainment. This one has a time skip forward and Orange is the New Black and another character designed to shock us with the incredible notion that people who are discriminated against can, themselves, be prejudiced!
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 30 June, 2016, 10:14:35 PM
And while I'm being sour about everything, Saga vol 6 continues the series' downward trajectory.

I keep forgetting that the latest installment is out. I really must get around to trudging along to the cheapest Internet outlet getting it so I can once again find it perfectly enjoyable but continue to wonder quite what all the fuss is about. Its so very, very far from the best comic out there.

WHICH (in a nice little link) is proven by my latest comics haul. So in tribute to this I will use an utter unfair and pointless scoring system today to demonstrate. This time I will rank my individual comics to my overall impression of Saga. A score of Saga will will rank the issue as good as Saga and I will add what I'm sure will be amusing modifies to so how much better or worse they are. So for example a comic ranked Saga - is a little worse than Saga. A comic Saga +++ is significanty better. So silly, so puerile... so lets do it.

Badger 5 Saga - : I've enjoyed this series but its been a little uncontrolled and I think I'll get more from it with re-read. Oh and shoddy art

The Rocketeer at War 4 Saga lite : Again enjoyed it, hope we get more, but its popcorn comics

Cry Havoc 6: were-saga: Its been a pretty good series and theres some REALLY interesting ideas and themes that I don't think I've fully appreciated in monthly form. There's almost a little to much going on and it transforms form one thing to another between pages. Another for re-read, which I think will reveal much wonder. Oh and the art, which is never great was hampered by some sub-parr inking this month.

Black Road 3
: Saga - Not as strong as last month - the larger scene setting passage felt a little ... vague.

Autumnlands 11 - Saga plus goat - Why did the goat chap fancy the stone ladies, he's a goat? Still think it might actually be a story point and BOY oh BOY this is some story. So much being crammed into this, one of the best looking comics out there.

Sex 29 - Rampant unrestrained Saga: Both are epic with a vaste range of great characters. One seems more commited to being something truly interesting and its the one beginning with 'S'... oh okay followed by 'e'

James Bond 7 - Saga shaken not stirred: New story same old truly classic bond. Brilliant stuff and the art seems to be relaxing which is a good thing.

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 8 - Valley of Gwsaga: That this dosn't get comic of the haul is a sign of what a sentimental fool I am. This is just comics joy in dinosaur form. Quite simply if you aren't reading this comic you hate, yourself and you hate fun.

The Spirit 12 - Will Eisner's Saga: This one gets comic of the haul 'cos its a superb, simply superb comic and its the last in a series that's been an absolute joy. Again if you haven't support this series you might as well sharpen a spoon and pock it in your eye.

So there we have it scientific proof that 55.5% of comics are better than Saga. Take that to your CBR with bells on.

Hawkmumbler

Now you stop this lampooning of Saga as hilarious as it may be! You know how I love it so!

Hawkmumbler

Oh yeah, I got some comics as well...let me see let me see let me see....blimey, everythings ending around here!

Well, i'll start as I ussually do, Weekly Shonen Jump #30 see's a number of series head to their respective conclusions. This is pretty unusual, I have to say, in the past WSJ has lost titles one per year on avergae. Barrage, Cross Menage, Hi-Fi Clusters, Naruto (kinda), School Judgement. But having THREE titles all on the verge of concluding, Bleach in 5 weeks, Nisekoi not long after, and Toriko wrapping up sometime before the end of the year, Jump are going to have to bring in some new talent to fill the void....Terraformers anyone?

Plutona #5 wraps up as it lived, as a fun series but not remarkable. I'll double dip for the trade and see if it improves some by being read in a single sitting. The art has been consistantly delightful, however! Badger #5 is surmised best by Colin. Pure popcorn comics but hell of a lot of fun! I liked the art a bit better than you did though, I think. It really suited the book I felt.

Dreaming Eagles #6 see's another Ennis war comic fall of my pull list, this time having reached it's full term. What an utterly wonderful comic this was, but did I miss the final issue of Johnny Red? Damn! But book of the week goes to The Spirit #12. My god what a ride that was! Perfect comics, just simply perfect! Matt Wagner I take my hat off to you, this was the comic that got me into The Spirit, I shall miss it very much!

Link Prime

Just perused next weeks listings, and it would seem I have some purchases to make;

Ragnarok 9; The delays between issues are almost as epic as the story itself, but who cares? Walt Simonson is my own personal Jesus Odin.
Sabrina 6; Another title plagued by delays, but maybe they're back on track as issue 5 was on shelves only a month ago. Apart from Providence, this is the best horror title being published right now. Relentlessly black at heart.
DK III (Hardback Edition) 5; Aside from the gorgeous production values on these hardbacks, the story itself is coming along nicely, which I'm sure will be a surprise to some.
Rough Riders 4; Anyone else reading this? Shades of Necronauts and LoEG, I'm giving it until the end of the first arc at least. Fine artwork by the underrated Pat Olliffe too.
Wonder Woman 2; The only 'regular' title on my pull-list from the big two, primarily due to the Liam Sharp factor. Sad to see he's already being filled in on issue 2. Boo-urns I say.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 07 July, 2016, 12:08:27 PM

Ragnarok 9; The delays between issues are almost as epic as the story itself, but who cares? Walt Simonson is my own personal Jesus Odin.

Always a good week when Ragnarok shows up. Its schedule is erratic but by heck at least Mr Simonson keeps working away.

Colin YNWA

So the other day I'm readign my nerd sites and I look at CBR with my normal bore sigh - after all its really just be a way for comic companies to run their PR for quite some time now (the Blogs it has like Comic Should be Good remain great I should note) ANYWAY all of a sudden I stumble across this:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/eric-powell-unleashes-his-hillbilly-on-the-comics-industry

Eric Powell's stuck out a creator owned series without me so much as noticing - I look to see when its out and realise its out already! Bugger - to the internet and one trip away this weekend and I've read Hillbilly 1 and ita bloomin' great, a wonderfully realised origin told as a tell by a teller of tales. Who knows what the truth behind the story is, the story itself is what matters.

Don't let this one pass you by get on board now!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 July, 2016, 12:41:02 PM
Always a good week when Ragnarok shows up. Its schedule is erratic but by heck at least Mr Simonson keeps working away.
Wondered how I missed this but it's not out in pixels until next week.
We never really die.

Link Prime

Quote from: The Cosh on 10 July, 2016, 06:28:05 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 July, 2016, 12:41:02 PM
Wondered how I missed this but it's not out in pixels until next week.

My fault for any confusion I think Cosh, I always post a list of the the comics I'm going to pick up next week on this thread.

Colin YNWA

Yeah it (Ragnarok 9) is in shops on Wednesday.

In other news I've read Saga Volume 6 and as ever it both delights and infuriates in equal measure. Its the NuWho of comics. Its trying so hard, its trying to reflect real life via the prism of outlandish wonders and its trying to have sassy fizzy dialogue that sometimes just comes off as crass and forced.

Still it always looks beautiful and is a compelling soap opera. Just think it thinks its so much more.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 10 July, 2016, 06:19:16 PM
So the other day I'm readign my nerd sites and I look at CBR with my normal bore sigh - after all its really just be a way for comic companies to run their PR for quite some time now (the Blogs it has like Comic Should be Good remain great I should note) ANYWAY all of a sudden I stumble across this:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/eric-powell-unleashes-his-hillbilly-on-the-comics-industry

Eric Powell's stuck out a creator owned series without me so much as noticing - I look to see when its out and realise its out already! Bugger - to the internet and one trip away this weekend and I've read Hillbilly 1 and ita bloomin' great, a wonderfully realised origin told as a tell by a teller of tales. Who knows what the truth behind the story is, the story itself is what matters.

Don't let this one pass you by get on board now!
HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT!!!!!!

How did I miss this, how did I let this happen, how how how how???!!!

'Add's to pull list quicker than it took to type this message'

So yeah, Eric Powell. He's alright....

Colin YNWA

Oh for FUCKSSAKE. I have zero interest in Hannah Bararararararba comics. No what so bloody ever... but ya know Future Quest had such a good creative line-up I had to get it...

... then I read a little too much about how interesting Wacky Races is and so that one arrives...

... I forcibly blank you lot when you discuss Flintstones therefore... and then I read this...

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2016/07/09/are-hanna-barbera-execs-a-bunch-of-cool-people-or-do-they-really-not-pay-attention-to-comics/

so that fuckers on the way...

... thank fuck I've not gonna as far as buying that Jim Lee comic, that'd be when I have to turn myself in for my own good.

3 out of 4 though is pretty bloody worrying...

Hawkmumbler

Future Quest is chuffing great though, and the more I read the more I actually kind of want to marathon Johnny Quest...well, he was in Venture Bros. so the interest has been there awhile....

....Venture Bros. comics would be awesome, BTW, it literally made for it!