Main Menu

Bargains and deals

Started by sheldipez, 07 March, 2013, 09:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Well, I'm as biased as all funt, but personally I think if you wanted to take a jump into FQP, start with the more recent issues -- when the numbering became years. They are around 100 pages each and I believe they are the strongest collections.

As for serials - there are none in Something Wicked at all. But in FQ the Neroy Sphinx stories from the 1st twenty issues were collected in their own trade (which I talk about here) and the second volume is being worked through in the pages of FQ currently - once complete that will be released along with some extra stories. There is also a currently unfinished serial 'Idea Space' that has ran in each issue for a while but has run into that most dreaded small press pitfall - artist issues. However I'm hopeful that this will be completed as when read together these are a superb set of strips.

If I'm being brutally honest -- the earliest issues were not the best, we were learning how to put comics together and we didn't have the, for want of a better word history we've since built for helping new writers and artists to find their voices.

Bolt-01

Image Humble Bundle

Latest version of these and by Toutatis I'm so tempted! I've not even looked at an of the books I got earlier this year but this collection includes a massive wedge of Savage Dragon if you go for the higher tiers as well as what looks like the complete Descender and some MAGE too!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 17 December, 2020, 08:21:23 AM
Image Humble Bundle

Latest version of these and by Toutatis I'm so tempted! I've not even looked at an of the books I got earlier this year but this collection includes a massive wedge of Savage Dragon if you go for the higher tiers as well as what looks like the complete Descender and some MAGE too!

Oh wow thanks for the heads up. I've not picked up one of these for a while as they've largely been made up of stuff I had BUT there's some stuff in this one that makes this a must have. I've wondered about picking up some Savage Dragon as you hear such good things. Fancy trying RUmble, Complete Multiple Warheads and more...

... oh and if you are considering a lower tier as Rock Candy Mountain makes the top tier worth if my itself. One of the best comics of the last few years.

Tomwe

I agree with Colin there on Rock Candy Mountain - my book club read it a few years back and it's a winner!. All that Savage Dragon, Rumble is a fave. I've fallen off the Image monthlies so I had to go for it.

Hawkmumbler

Lads.

Read SAVAGE DRAGON.

This has been a PSA brought to you by the SAVAGE FINCAST PARTY.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tomwe on 17 December, 2020, 10:22:53 AM
I agree with Colin there on Rock Candy Mountain - my book club read it a few years back and it's a winner!. All that Savage Dragon, Rumble is a fave. I've fallen off the Image monthlies so I had to go for it.

You've flagged this book club here before I think - but man I'm struggling to focus on work today (and suspect tomorrow will be no better) and this is just the distraction I (don't) need! The Rock Candy Mountain write up is really interesting and there's some fantastic selections there as well.

I feel procastination coming on!

IndigoPrime

£18.74 is a curious amount for the top tier, but OK. And having messed up TWICE with Image HBs, waiting until the final day for budget reasons and then missing it because they end at weird times, fuck it: I'm buying this one right now.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 December, 2020, 11:25:29 AM
£18.74 is a curious amount for the top tier, but OK. And having messed up TWICE with Image HBs, waiting until the final day for budget reasons and then missing it because they end at weird times, fuck it: I'm buying this one right now.

I figure the price is just down to the £ to $ exchange rate?

Should I be reading Chew? I figure I should be reading Chew but for some reason the art jars with me. Do I just need to get past that?

IndigoPrime

Many consider it an Image classic. It didn't gel with me to that extent, but I enjoyed the volumes I read enough to see them through.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 December, 2020, 11:40:24 AM

Should I be reading Chew? I figure I should be reading Chew but for some reason the art jars with me. Do I just need to get past that?

I bought a signed copy of the first collection directly from John Layman at a convention years ago.
Never finished it, that style of art just ain't my cuppa either.

Link Prime

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 15 December, 2020, 09:08:39 AM
Well, I'm as biased as all funt, but personally I think if you wanted to take a jump into FQP, start with the more recent issues -- when the numbering became years. They are around 100 pages each and I believe they are the strongest collections.

Sounds good Bolt, will pick up a few.

Bolt-01

BPP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 December, 2020, 11:25:29 AM

I think humble bundle top tier works as an average of what previous purchasers of the bundle have paid. Certainly did at one point.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

sintec

I see Rebellion have a sale on the film continuity Dredd books https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/on-sale

I've not read then; are they worth picking up?

IndigoPrime

I liked Urban Warfare, even if it felt like it didn't do that much new. I wasn't keen at all on how the series ended through, in Final Judgement.