Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Yep. It's also similarly poisonous. I suffer from SAD in the darker months, and was absolutely thrilled when the Lighter Later campaign secured a surprising level of cross-party support for a private member's bill on looking into changing the British timezone. The bill, had it got anywhere, would have resulted in a report on feasibility, which itself could have eventually triggered a trial run of no clocks changing for a few years (i.e. always staying on summer time), or the UK moving to CET (matching France's timezone). Naturally, there are issues with that (not least morning darkness in the far north), but the benefits could also be huge.

The Tories, Lib Dems and Labour were all basically in favour of at least the report (if not terribly enthusiastic—there weren't really any major advocates), with the Tories then adding any change would require the agreement of every component part of the UK, clearly not wanting to piss off the Scots with the then looming referendum. But the Scots didn't scupper anything—instead, some fuckwit Tory from Cornwall used the bill as a means to argue Cornwall should have an opt-out and therefore become a UK region (or even country) by the backdoor. The bill was filibustered and died.

Banners

George Osborne just saved us £375 on an imminent house move. I'm in danger of turning into a Tory!

IndigoPrime

It's OK—you'll be rescued from that thought when the NHS is sold off and you have to sell your new house to pay for hospital treatment.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Banners on 03 December, 2014, 02:12:56 PM
George Osborne just saved us £375 on an imminent house move. I'm in danger of turning into a Tory!

I don't see why Ozzy should be in any way congratulated for not robbing you, as most people can get through the day without doing that.  In fact, I am not robbing you as I type this - it's that easy.

Banners

He stills owes me a response to my letter which I wrote to tell him I'd only be paying half my Corporation Tax.

The Legendary Shark

Try writing to him and asking for a copy of the contract  you signed agreeing to pay your corporation tax in the first place.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 03 December, 2014, 04:04:49 PM
Try writing to him and asking for a copy of the contract  you signed agreeing to pay your corporation tax in the first place.

NOT ALL LAW IS CONTRACT LAW.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Theblazeuk

That one is a double-shot in the political thread drinking game.

The Legendary Shark

Okay, Jim - let's imagine for a moment that you are correct.
Please explain to me by what right one person can demand a share of another person's earnings and/or wealth.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

We don't have to IMAGINE I'm correct, because I FUCKING AM correct. Your tin-foil-hatted protestations to the contrary are irrelevant. You can disagree that the the world is round or that the sky is blue, and whilst you are entitled to hold those opinions, it doesn't change the fact that they are fundamentally wrong in a fashion that shouldn't even require debate. I'm instantly regretting unhiding your post and will never do so again. Your obtuse wrong-headedness seems to elicit the sort of inexplicable indulgence that Thrillseekyr (where is he just now, BTW?) or Godpleton enjoyed from this forum.

Well, I'm sorry. You're wrong. We've had this conversation so many times that it is plain that we're not having a discussion, but the world DOES NOT WORK the way you want it to, and every attempt on my part to engage with you, to ascertain how we get from how the world is now to how you think it should work has been met with stonewalling or evasion. I wish the world worked the way you think it should, but it DOESN'T. Your own life would have been far easier these last few months if you'd understood that.

Good night.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

So, you don't know. I understand.
And the way to get from where we are to where we want to be is to take personal responsibility for running our own lives - as I have always said. I can't tell you how to run your life, Jim, as I have neither the right nor the expertise to do so.
And yes, my life would be easier if I "played the game" but it's a game I don't want to play. Do you think I should be made to play? By whom? By what right?
Now, you can evade my questions, call my answers evasive and ignore me all in a huff if you like - makes no difference to me - but that way, neither of us will learn anything.
By what right does one person have claim on another person's income, wealth or property? It's a simple enough question, isn't it?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

locustsofdeath!

Actually Jim doesn't need to answer your questions, Shark - he didn't disagree with on the way should be or could be, he simply stated the way things are. He doesn't come across as evasive at all.

Grugz

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 03 December, 2014, 10:30:41 PM
Okay, Jim - let's imagine for a moment that you are correct.
Please explain to me by what right one person can demand a share of another person's earnings and/or wealth.

that's marriage innit? ;)
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

The Legendary Shark

I'm not married to HMRC.
Jim doesn't have to explain anything to anyone. I only ask in case he can.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

locustsofdeath!

But what does he have to answer? Again, he didn't disagree with what could be or should be. He stated a fact.

Man, you are so wrapped up and lost in yourself.