Main Menu

Strip Magazine # 1

Started by Spaceghost, 01 November, 2011, 02:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

I've just been and picked this up from my local comic shop and I thought I'd bag the thread despite the fact that I've not had time to read it yet.

First impressions are that it looks lovely. We've all seen PJ's gorgeous cover and it looks even better in the flesh. It's printed on glossy paper throughout and all the art looks great. There seem to be loads of different strips, all with a unique style, just as an anthology should be.

There are a couple of text features too, a piece about Action comic and a lengthy interview with PJ Holden.

I'm very excited about this. 68 pages of full colour (mostly) comic action for 3 quid! I'll give it a read tonight and post some further thoughts.

Anyone else managed to pick up a copy?
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

James Stacey

called into FP in Cardiff today. They said it had been added to their system today so it's on the way but not arrived yet.

Colin YNWA

Well glad to hear its finally out there. Have it on order at my LCS but not sure when I'll be able to get there next, probably not for a couple of weeks.

O Lucky Stevie!

Why oh why oh why can't Diamond distribute this internationally instead of all that Mark Millar tosh?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Spaceghost

Read this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I enjoyed some strips more than others but all of them were entertaining with not one duffer in the pack.

Stand out stories for me were Recovery Inc.; an all action strip about a foxy female cat burglar featuring some snappy dialogue, Warpaint; a homeless girl about to become embroiled in supernatural events and Black Ops Xtreme which reminded me of being a kid and reading Action Force comic.

There's a sense of fun and adventure running through the whole thing and each story is bursting with exuberance, enthusiasm and potential.

I realise that everyone who reads this will be buying it anyway but still, I am recommending it to all. A brilliant debut issue and, hopefully, the first of many.

James Stacey

Hurrah. FP have it in, and a good pile too. 2 other peeps in the queue with me buying it.

Batman's Superior Cousin

I reserved my copy at the Newcastle Forbidden Planet store.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

The Enigmatic Dr X

Oh! Not in Glasgow 'til Friday. Hopefully FP will have it.

Is this suitable for a 6 year old? I'm hoping it is - my boy is looking for a comic to read, and I think this might have a daft 70s/80s vibe? Certainly, Hookjaw is up his street.
Lock up your spoons!

Spaceghost

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 02 November, 2011, 09:54:37 PM
Oh! Not in Glasgow 'til Friday. Hopefully FP will have it.

Is this suitable for a 6 year old? I'm hoping it is - my boy is looking for a comic to read, and I think this might have a daft 70s/80s vibe? Certainly, Hookjaw is up his street.

I think most of the stories would possibly go over the head of a 6 year old but there's nothing in terms of content that you should worry about.

pauljholden

Pleased to hear it's been well received in my local FPI.

worldshown

Picked up a copy today. My first thought was that the design of the magazine is top notch. The presentation throughout is beautiful.

There are nine strips in the whole thing, two of which are one page funnies. The four strips that make up the spine of the comic I already want to see more of, especially Warpaint.

Black Ops drops you straight into the action and doesn't let up til the last page. Recovery Inc introduces the main character and her world really well and John Ridgway's art on Age of Heroes is very atmospheric.

The only gripes I've got are a few mistakes in the lettering (the editiorial, Recovery Inc and Age of Heroes) and the balloons on Ex-Agent detract from the quite splendid artwork. Just nit-picking really.

Well worth the £2.99 and I will be buying the next one.

SmallBlueThing

Picked up two copies today; one for me, one for the eldest boy. Havent read yet, but first reaction: it smells great! i mean that, it's a more pungent Beano, which is a good thing in my book. All strips look great, barring one, and i'll be back for more even if i have reservations after reading. My one niggle at the moment is that it may look too much like a 'dad's comic'- the logo doesnt excite and the number of text features could well be offputting to a nine year old audience, given the geekiness of the content. I doubt many kids give a toss about Action or especially Forbidden Planet, other than it being a big shop of cool stuff.

SBT

Cthulouis

Got mine today! So far I've only had time to read Hookjaw, which I have never read before due to being young. Loved it. When I checked the credits afterwards, I was surprised that it *wasn't* written by Mills.

Looking forward to reading the rest!

Satanist

Loads of copies in the Glasgow FP tonight Dr X. I bought one and will read it later.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Eric Plumrose

Nothing on Mega-City's website saying they've got this so the hatchling might have to drag me to Forbidden Planet.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.