Main Menu

Will the case files ever catch up with the Prog/Meg?

Started by Dodsy, 29 May, 2013, 12:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodsy

I'm starting to have a clear out and some of my older progs are having to go (look out for a thread in 'Classifieds' soon lol) but before I do I'm making a list of the thrills I want to keep (or can get in graphic novel form).

I was wondering if there is any idea on when the Dredd Case Files will get caught up with the prog, or near enough at least. I know Case file 20 includes prog 900 with Rogue so I'm guessing that Case Files 21 will be the latter half of the 900's which will probably include The Pit.

But how often are the Case Files released? I've only just started collecting and I'm still getting caught up so I'm not sure what the wait between volumes is. Also, out of curiousity, what volumes do the Meg stories start getting reprinted in the Case Files?
Twitter - @dodsy84

IndigoPrime

Case Files 15 is the first with Megazine material, although very specifically only material labelled Judge Dredd (i.e. America is NOT included). In terms of the schedule, two or three per year has been the average, IIRC.

radiator

My guess is 'never'. It would take years and years (and another 20(?) volumes) to catch up with 'current' Dredd, and by that time we'd be years behind again!

The release schedule is erratic - I think there are three Case Files books released each year, but that also includes the 'Restricted Files' (rarities) and Anderson Psi Files volumes, so last year two of those slots were filled up with those - the result is that we haven't had a Case Files proper since 19 this time last year. 20 and 21 are both coming out soon though. IIRC, they started the Case Files in late 2005/early 2006 so that's an average of 2.5 a year.

James Stacey

The recent dip in releases was due to the reprint schedule during the films run though wasn't it. Hopefully back on the 3 issues a year schedule now.

The Bissler

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 May, 2013, 01:01:14 PM
Case Files 15 is the first with Megazine material, although very specifically only material labelled Judge Dredd (i.e. America is NOT included). In terms of the schedule, two or three per year has been the average, IIRC.

It was 2-3 a year but CF20 has been released about a year after CF19.  I'm hoping that the pace of the release schedule is going to increase again, but there's certainly no prospect of catching up during the next decade!

I'm guessing that the reason CF20 was delayed was because of the release of the film; by all accounts it is one of the worst periods of Dredd, and it may have been in Rebellion's thinking that they didn't want this to be the book that new readers would discover.

Dodsy

Cheers Indigo. I knew about it being strictly Dredd only reprints (isn't there a story that starts at part 2 in one of the Case Files because the first part isn't a 'Dredd' story? I think it's called Infirno or something similar).

Also (very quick sums here so forgive me if I'm way off) if there are 3 case files a year, each with 50ish progs (is that right?) we'd be at prog 1500 (which is about the progs I'd be looking to get wide of) by Case Files 32. Which, at a rate of 3 a year, will be release in 2016.

Again, maths isn't my strong point so forgive me if I'm way out there.
Twitter - @dodsy84

The Bissler

Quote from: dodsy on 29 May, 2013, 01:11:55 PM
Cheers Indigo. I knew about it being strictly Dredd only reprints (isn't there a story that starts at part 2 in one of the Case Files because the first part isn't a 'Dredd' story? I think it's called Infirno or something similar).

Also (very quick sums here so forgive me if I'm way off) if there are 3 case files a year, each with 50ish progs (is that right?) we'd be at prog 1500 (which is about the progs I'd be looking to get wide of) by Case Files 32. Which, at a rate of 3 a year, will be release in 2016.

Again, maths isn't my strong point so forgive me if I'm way out there.

It's basically 2 CFs for one year now because of the progs plus the Megazine issues (in other words, you'd need to double your calculations).

radiator

QuoteAlso (very quick sums here so forgive me if I'm way off) if there are 3 case files a year, each with 50ish progs (is that right?) we'd be at prog 1500 (which is about the progs I'd be looking to get wide of) by Case Files 32. Which, at a rate of 3 a year, will be release in 2016.

No, because of a)Megazine material bulking the books out and b)the glut of Dredd around the time of the '95 movie - there were a few months of double Dredd in both the Megazine and Prog, and there was a period in the late nineties/early 2000s when the Meg Dredd was 14 or even 20+ pages long, not to mention the entire period of the Meg being fortnightly!

QuoteThe recent dip in releases was due to the reprint schedule during the films run though wasn't it. Hopefully back on the 3 issues a year schedule now.

No, I don't think so - as I said there were in fact three Case Files volumes released in the last twelve months, it's just that one of them was Restricted Files and one of them was Anderson Psi Files.

QuoteI'm guessing that the reason CF20 was delayed was because of the release of the film; by all accounts it is one of the worst periods of Dredd, and it may have been in Rebellion's thinking that they didn't want this to be the book that new readers would discover.

Again, I think this is incorrect, and the prioritisation of Restricted Files and Anderson Psi Files I would imagine has more to do with the preference to push material that has never been reprinted before over stuff like Book of the Dead and The Pit - which was only recently (well, in the last five years or so) published in it's own book.

I, Cosh

Quote from: dodsy on 29 May, 2013, 01:11:55 PM
The early ones were c. 50 progs per volume but it's down to 25-30 now with the inclusion of the Meg strips and I assume this will fluctuate with ever-changing frequency of the Meg over the years. CF20 wont contain Prog 900, that'll most likely be in 21 but I think the next volume or two will need to be weighted towards Meg strips in order to have everything aligned properly for Wilderlands/Tenth Planet soon.
We never really die.

Simon Beigh

Quote from: radiator on 29 May, 2013, 01:21:54 PM
.. because of a)Megazine material bulking the books out and b)the glut of Dredd around the time of the '95 movie - there were a few months of double Dredd in both the Megazine and Prog, and there was a period in the late nineties/early 2000s when the Meg Dredd was 14 or even 20+ pages long, not to mention the entire period of the Meg being fortnightly!

I wonder if "Lawman of the Future" will get into the Case Files as well? (This was a Fortnightly produced during the 95 movie period in case anyone out there isn't familiar with it). They were aimed at a younger audience and focused on the Dredd of the movie, so they may not fit properly either...

radiator

QuoteI wonder if "Lawman of the Future" will get into the Case Files as well?

I'd be amazed if it is. 99.9999999% certain it will not be.

It also has not been confirmed whether or not the Batman/Aliens/Predator/Lobo crossovers will appear in the Case Files. Again, my guess is not.

James Stacey

Quote from: radiator on 29 May, 2013, 01:21:54 PM
No, I don't think so - as I said there were in fact three Case Files volumes released in the last twelve months, it's just that one of them was Restricted Files and one of them was Anderson Psi Files.

It definitely slowed down releases though last year. For reference the releases have been

CF01 - 10 Dec 2005
CF02 - 02 Feb 2006
CF03 - 04 Apr 2006
CF04 - 08 Jun 2006
CF05 - 15 Oct 2006
CF06 - 15 Nov 2006
CF07 - 30 Mar 2007
CF08 - 15 May 2007
CF09 - 17 Nov 2007
CF10 - 15 Jun 2008
CF11 - 09 Oct 2008
CF12 - 05 Jan 2009
CF13 - 08 Jul 2009
CF14 - 15 Nov 2009
PF01 - 15 Dec 2009
RF01 - 15 Feb 2010
CF15 - 15 Apr 2010
RF02 - 03 Jun 2010
CF16 - 15 Aug 2010
CF17 - 17 Feb 2011
RF03 - 21 Jul 2011
CF18 - 15 Sep 2011
PF02 - 16 Feb 2012
CF19 - 10 May 2012
RF04 - 16 Aug 2012
PF03 - 17 Jan 2013
CF20 - 20 Jun 2013

I sincerely hope the Aliens - Incubus story is part of the casefiles. It ran as a weekly Dredd strip not in a standalone crossover magazine. It's not reprinted as a 2000AD/Dark Horse publication like the Dredd Batman 2000AD/DC books. It's also great unlike the other crossovers

Recrewt

QuoteI wonder if "Lawman of the Future" will get into the Case Files as well?
[/quote]

I hope not.  The less I see of that cod-piece the better!  :lol:

If it was in the meg/prog as Dredd then it should eventually turn up - batman never was so I wouldn't expect it to be included but the aliens story was so should be in there.  Can't remember if Predator or Lobo were.

radiator

QuoteCF01 - 10 Dec 2005
CF02 - 02 Feb 2006
CF03 - 04 Apr 2006
CF04 - 08 Jun 2006
CF05 - 15 Oct 2006
CF06 - 15 Nov 2006

Ahhh, those were the days!

I'm not sure what the legal situation is regarding the Dark Horse crossovers - ie if Dark Horse and Rebellion need to come to an arrangement with regard reprinting them. I still don't think they will appear in the Case Files - though Incubus appeared in 2000ad, it is billed as 'Judge Dredd/Aliens', not 'Judge Dredd', and that distinction was the justification for not including America.

I think the best result would be a hardback book collecting the Aliens and Predator crossovers to go alongside the recent Batman/Dredd book.

Toni Scandella

The Batman / Lobo stuff has its own Case File so that goes onto my  bookshelf with the other extras - aside from the 19 Dredd Case Files, the three Anderson Psi Files and the 4 Restricted Files are The Dead Man, the Purgatory floppy from one of the Megs, America, The Dredd / Batman Case Files and The Taxidermist.  I am sure I will also be looking out for the Judge Death collections and maybe the Chopper ones, too - but I am trying to be sensible(ish), considering the attic full of progs (and the hard drive full of progs)...