Main Menu

Insomnia no longer publishing?

Started by Colin YNWA, 17 July, 2010, 06:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news as I know a few people here than things in the pipeline from Insomnia but it looks like the company might have gone to the wall?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/07/17/insomnia-publishing-to-cease-publishing/

Obviously things might not be as bleak as things here make it sound and hopefully people will still get their work out one way or another but anyway good luck all involved.

locustsofdeath!

Oh no! This really ruins my night... :(.

Can't I get some kind of fucking luck lately...?!?!

Edit: Besides bad luck, I mean. I am snake bit for sure.

Dunk!

That's shite all right.

Hope the boarders it affects can get their IPs back easily and find another outlet.
"Trust we"

M.I.K.

This probably explains why The Works has a couple of Insomnia graphic novels on sale for three quid each.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Dunk! on 17 July, 2010, 06:19:06 PM
That's shite all right.

Hope the boarders it affects can get their IPs back easily and find another outlet.

Yup.

mygrimmbrother

starscape

I've been reading about some of this over at Will Pickering's blog (http://willpickering.blogspot.com/).  Seems an almighty pickle (hopefully that's not too strong  :P) but it does leave me wondering whether the profit involved was worth all the strife?  From what I understand, a couple of books sold well.  After that, the company seemed to believe it's own hype.  Rather than being a friendly indy company with a bit of success (but certainly not with all their books), it seems to have become a company with corporate ideals and profit margins.

Unless there's something going on that hasn't been stated, it just seems a problem that could have been settled pretty amicably with people being a touch more reasonable.  A thank you here, a sorry there, a favour or two settled.  The actual, original problem, before the blow-ups, before the unreasonableness(?), before the contractual issues, but the actual crux of the matter, seems to be so surmountable, it's sad the company has gone BOOM!

Who wouldn't want to read a Crowley TPB after all?

Professor Bear

Either the best possible time I could have chosen to stop drinking, or the worst.

Personally I'm not actually that bothered as the guy writing the GN I was doodling already parlayed it into other work, but I hear that some publishers are deliberately knocking back any ex-Insomnia projects in case they end up alienating future contributors by picking one book over another.  Which is sensible, I suppose, but hopefully won't stop those determined to get their comics out there.

Jim_Campbell

Crawford Coutts. What a fucking cunt.

You have no idea how long I've been waiting to post those words.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bolt-01

'tis rough for some folks, but based on conversations from Bristol- not altogether unexpected. The way it looks to me is that they simply grew faster than they could handle and bit off more than they could chew.

Richmond Clements

QuoteUnless there's something going on that hasn't been stated, it just seems a problem that could have been settled pretty amicably with people being a touch more reasonable.

In an ideal world, this would be true. But I think I hvae to echo Jim's words on this one:

QuoteCrawford Coutts. What a fucking cunt.

He has shafted a LOT of people lately. I've been lucky in that Kev and I have managed to get our book out in time (I think we both saw something like this coming). But my Pinkerton book is still in his clutches.

markchilly

Hello,

Rich - now Insomnia no longer exists doesn't that mean all contracts are void and we can start to pitch our projects to other publishers?

Still bemused by the total lack of communication from Crawford, Damaged Goods has been finished since march!!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: markchilly on 18 July, 2010, 09:32:00 AM
Hello,

Rich - now Insomnia no longer exists doesn't that mean all contracts are void and we can start to pitch our projects to other publishers?

Still bemused by the total lack of communication from Crawford, Damaged Goods has been finished since march!!

Mark- good question!
I think not though, as our IPs may come under the heading od assets, so if he wants to play a long and bitter game, he couls choose to not let go of them.

markchilly

oh, this just gets better by the minute.

Tweak72

Any and all boarders have my greatest sympathy on this. Comic IP issues after a problem like this can be notoriously difficult to resolve. Even if the company end is not run by the kind of person Jim has described. (Grendel took years to sort out for example). Fingers crossed for all.
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++