3 (7.3%)
T Class line
0 (0%)
Satellite
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: 23 July, 2008, 06:53:11 PM

w3bz

For development reasons it would be nice to know what connection you lot have. So if you can spare the time, please vote above!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "w3b-B0Tv2"For development reasons it would be nice to know what connection you lot have. So if you can spare the time, please vote above!
Probably worth noting two things:

- Home broadband can be somewhat variable, not only in terms of the connection you're paying for, but also in terms of the speed you get.
- Just because speeds are getting faster, that shouldn't lead to developers getting lazy. It astonishes me that many websites are slower than those I visited during the 1990s, because of assumptions made by developers. In an age of largely ubiquitous broadband, it saddens me how many relatively simple websites have a 1995-style 'loading' bar that take an inordinate amount of time to complete. Here's hoping the Galaxy's Greatest retains a degree of optimisation and efficiency.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "IndigoPrime"
Quote from: "w3b-B0Tv2"For development reasons it would be nice to know what connection you lot have. So if you can spare the time, please vote above!
Probably worth noting two things:

- Home broadband can be somewhat variable, not only in terms of the connection you're paying for, but also in terms of the speed you get.
- Just because speeds are getting faster, that shouldn't lead to developers getting lazy. It astonishes me that many websites are slower than those I visited during the 1990s, because of assumptions made by developers. In an age of largely ubiquitous broadband, it saddens me how many relatively simple websites have a 1995-style 'loading' bar that take an inordinate amount of time to complete. Here's hoping the Galaxy's Greatest retains a degree of optimisation and efficiency.

Do you know with all your infinate technical knowledge know if cable modem is any better than ADSL ?

I am temped to think it is because it is dedicated instead of sharing landline .

This whole immediate area is cable as there are junction boxes in the street everywhere.

Do you get better performance with broadband speed etc ?

Thanks

Peter.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Roger Godpleton

Can we just put "fucking shit"? (Bad day)
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

pauljholden

Virgin Broadband, ostensibly 10Mb, but runs anywhere between 1Mb and 6Mb

- pj

Wils

12Mb connection that fluctuates very wildly anywhere between nearly 12Mb and off.

Matt Timson

Virgin- allegedly 10MB- currently running at 8422KBPS.  Which isn't bad.
Pffft...

Noisybast

Virgin Broadband, 2mb connection.
Finally getting something in the region of 2Mb, after about 18 months of crawling along at 600Kb.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

worldshown

BT - anywhere between 2Mb and 5Mb, depending on how badly I need to use the internet.

petemaskreplica

In theory, 8mb. In practice, as T*lkt*lk over-subscribe their lines and we live about a million miles away from the exchange, the kind of speed you could get with something run on a rubber band.

Dan Kelly

2meg at home and at work.

iPhone 3g as third option - occasionally used for accessing here  ;)

LARF

BT Home - just over 5Mb

BT Work - just over 9Mb

Peter Wolf

Virgin Media Broadband.

Very slow .One of the slowest ISP providers.

Thinking of changing because Richard Branson  may sell Virgin Media to the Carlyle Group which is seriously bad news but i am moving house in a few months and i cant be arsed to change it to another ISP before then.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

SamuelAWilkinson

At home: 2 Mb Virgin which does exactly what it says on the tin.

At work: Something ludicrously good which rated about 20Mb when I checked it on a whim.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

dyl

I'm on Virgin media, upto 2 meg. Seems ok for me would be nicer for a faster upload speed.

I keep getting sky trying to sign me up to their 8 meg deal. I phoned virgin to see if i could try and get a better deal by saying what sky were offering( did this before when they dropped the sky channels and they knocked a tenner off my monthly bill as a loyalty bonus.). The guy on the phone asked me for my postcode and went to some, hopefully, indepent speed testing site and said that the best sky would get me is upto 1 meg!