Main Menu

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

Started by Goaty, 07 April, 2016, 12:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

We all do!

I think the only [spoiler]communication with the fleet was with the Blue Squadron pilots who made it hrough before the gate was closed, and then the signal Bodhi managed to boost  just telling them to be ready to the intercept the data transmission... [/spoiler]But as noted, additional viewings are clearly required.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 19 December, 2016, 09:26:54 AM
Anyone else think the robot was channeling Sheldon Cooper?

I did a bit too.

When it came to the names of the planets in the film - [spoiler]did I miss the name of the planet where Darth Vader lived or was it not shown?[/spoiler]

TordelBack

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 26 December, 2016, 08:13:54 PM
When it came to the names of the planets in the film - [spoiler]did I miss the name of the planet where Darth Vader lived or was it not shown?[/spoiler]

It was not, which was cheeky.  Pablo Hidalgo has confirmed fan suspicions that it was indeed [spoiler]Mustafar, which deepens the horror of the character fabulously[/spoiler], but as with anything that isn't explicitly on the cinema screen, that claim only lasts as long as Disney wants it to.

Tiplodocus

So Vader's castle stirred memories from long ago for me... something I read in a poster magazine or something when I was a young lad in 1977 about him living in a castle on a volcanic planet.  It was a poster magazine where I also first remember reading about the fight between him and Obi-Wan (though to be fair, that could have been in the Alan Dean Foster... er sorry... er... George Lucas novelisation.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 December, 2016, 08:55:47 PM
Based on some old McQuarrie art -

http://heytheremrbruce.tumblr.com/post/119669728025/gameraboy-concept-art-by-ralph-mcquarrie-for

That very much reminds me of Castle Bran in Transylvania.

I was a bit nonplussed by Vader's wee volcanic chateau.  It had a bit of an Austin Powers vibe:

Also, I would have thought a military asset like Vader would have been kept mobilised, rather than left to skulk on the planet that constantly reminded him of his defeat and hideous injuries.

SIP

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 27 December, 2016, 09:56:43 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 December, 2016, 08:55:47 PM
Based on some old McQuarrie art -

http://heytheremrbruce.tumblr.com/post/119669728025/gameraboy-concept-art-by-ralph-mcquarrie-for

That very much reminds me of Castle Bran in Transylvania.

I was a bit nonplussed by Vader's wee volcanic chateau.  It had a bit of an Austin Powers vibe:

Also, I would have thought a military asset like Vader would have been kept mobilised, rather than left to skulk on the planet that constantly reminded him of his defeat and hideous injuries.

Yeah, but.....he has a castle on a lava planet..... it's bad-ass. 😊

Magnetica

Saw this last week and I enjoyed it. I did have a sense of "yes we know how this turns out" but was telling myself its "how we get there and what happens to everyone that matters."

One small gripe was I did not catch half of the characters names during the film - which kinda makes it hard to care. It's a bit bad having to read them in my son's Rogue One book afterwards. But I am looking forward to getting the DVD and re-watching, when none of that will matter.

I have now also just re-watched the sequel to Rogue 1 (you know... A New Hope ) and I think they have done a really good job of Rogue 1 leading into it. It has even made me look at ANH in a slightly different way, especially Leia. she is definitely not the damsel in distress and is probably thinking "who are these jokers who have turned up to rescue me?" It was all there on the screen 39 years ago but Rogue 1 really re-enforces it [spoiler]i.e. she is a top Rebel Alliance agent.[/spoiler]

Love the way the end leads almost directly into the very opening scene of ANH...presumably there is [spoiler]just a hyperspace chase from Scarif to Tatooine in between.
[/spoiler]

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 18 December, 2016, 07:16:58 PM

In the trailer Jyn, K-2SO & Cassian are shown running with the plans in Canary Wharf as they, presumably, exit the tower which suggests there's no [spoiler]transmission/antenna part to the story or maybe it's the located somewhere else[/spoiler].

[spoiler]hmm not sure they could have left that out...now I have no inside info what so ever, but in ANH Vader interrogates a Rebel Alliance officer about the transmissions the Rebel ship received and ok they were actually sent to the larger ship that one was inside but I think the point holds - to be consistent with ANH the plans had to be transmitted.[/spoiler]

Professor Bear

If I had to guess, [spoiler]the Tie fighter seen in the first trailer was in some way responsible for disabling the antennae (probably initiating the falling walkway bit left in the theatrical cut) before the plans could be transmitted, so they run through Canary Wharf and across the surface chased by Krennic (a sequence also seen in the trailer) to get to another transmitter of some sort.  Possibly that whole sequence with the pilot guy MacGuyvering something for Transmitter Reasons in their captured Imperial ship originally comes much later in the film, along with his and the other characters' deaths so that the possibility that they might escape is dangled for a bit longer.  Apart from anything else, this would be a callback to the scene where they talk to the control tower on Yavin 4, which would now be a scene in which it's established that the Imperial shuttle can communicate on Rebellion frequencies and the rush to tinker something together was just to boost their signalling power to breach the jamming caused by the still-operational planetary shield.[/spoiler]
If I was a cynical man - and we all know I am not a cynical man etc - I would suggest that a lot of these reshoots make a Special Edition release of the film possible somewhere down the line.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Magnetica on 27 December, 2016, 01:59:07 PM

In the trailer Jyn, K-2SO & Cassian are shown running with the plans in Canary Wharf as they, presumably, exit the tower which suggests there's no [spoiler]transmission/antenna part to the story or maybe it's the located somewhere else[/spoiler].

[spoiler]hmm not sure they could have left that out...now I have no inside info what so ever, but in ANH Vader interrogates a Rebel Alliance officer about the transmissions the Rebel ship received and ok they were actually sent to the larger ship that one was inside but I think the point holds - to be consistent with ANH the plans had to be transmitted.[/spoiler]

Which does not mean they weren't transmitted ship-to-ship after the plans were hand delivered by the rebels to whatever the original destination was.

The Legendary Shark

This is all getting very complicated. Have these here rebels never heard of Dropbox?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mute77

Just seen this at the cinema and managed to avoid most spoilers. Really enjoyed it. I thought some of the sfx were brilliantly done. Perhaps more importantly  I can now read all the blacked out bits on this thread!!

TordelBack

I may be 'memb'rin' wrong,  but I think the [spoiler]satellite dish is in a completely separate location to the Citadel tower[/spoiler] in some of the trailer footage. Not going looking now, though!

Was ruminating on SW matters during a long drive today, and it occured to me that R1 both suggests a new plot problem in ANH, and simultaneously solves a long-standing one. In the first instance, [spoiler]the rather pointless presence of R2 and 3PO at the Yavin base strongly implies that Leia was not the only person on board the Tantive IV who knew the location of the Hidden Fortress - as has been argued in the past as the reason her resistance to Imperial torture was so important, despite the numerous prisoners we see being taken above Tatooine.

Now, despite Vader's best efforts there must have been a hell of a lot of prisoners taken on the Rebel flagship at Scarif, probably including Admiral Raddus and his staff - so while we can accept that Leia holds out against interrogation as Vader asserts, it seems impossible that everyone with this knowledge did.

The positive side of this is that it explains why Leia is happy to let the Falcon be tracked to Yavin - she knows that someone is going to spill the beans sooner rather than later, if they haven't already, so she may as well get there as fast as she can.[/spoiler]

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 December, 2016, 05:17:36 PM
I may be 'memb'rin' wrong,  but I think the [spoiler]satellite dish is in a completely separate location to the Citadel tower[/spoiler] in some of the trailer footage. Not going looking now, though!

Magnetica

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 27 December, 2016, 03:59:23 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 27 December, 2016, 01:59:07 PM

Which does not mean they weren't transmitted ship-to-ship after the plans were hand delivered by the rebels to whatever the original destination was.

Yes that's certainly true, but I think a line needs to be drawn some-where otherwise the complexity of the plot starts to spiral out of control.