Main Menu

Prog 2124 - The New Normal

Started by Magnetica, 23 March, 2019, 03:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

A new Dredd thriller starts with Rob Williams and Chris Weston on script duties. Not sure if this is the first time the Weston bot has had a writing credit in 2000AD. The episode starts and ends well, setting up the next part well. I found the middle bit to be a bit odd, and was a bit disappointing but it soon recovered from that.

Now I do like Kingmaker, but it's going a bit too much Lord of the Rings with a bit of Game of Thrones thrown in.

There is a new Max Normal story by Guy Adams and Dan Cornwell. The opening episode is a mostly set up and I think I will reserve judgement.

Grey Area hurtles towards the series finale. Unfortunately I didn't think this week's episode (and last week's for that matter) quite hit the usual very high standard. Oh and there is a [spoiler]bit of a cliffhanger at the end, but the way it is drawn leaves enough room for Kymm to survive.[/spoiler]

I agree with NA Parry's letter that current thrills are as good as "classic" ones and that it is nostalgia that makes one think otherwise.

Geoff

That cover is great...Quite Frankly.

Was hoping against hope that Davis Hunt would be drawing the strip too, but it was still great to see Max back and Cornwell's art rather suits the strip.

The first page of Dredd was so promising, Goddard is a fantastic droid and the opening had an intense feel to it.  And then all of a sudden cannibal sovs who've been living inside a strato v for 35years! What!?

And another existential threat to the Meg...   

Colin YNWA

That's a step back in the right direction.

Dredd was really enjoyable, fun, wonderful art and exciting. Simple, if familar story done well.

Kingmaker continues to be really good, nice conclusion to the mini-story that has opened this new series.

Survival Geeks remains fluff, but I must admit I enjoyed this piece of fluff.

Max Normal now this I really enjoyed. I loved way way both art and dialogue catch Max really well, all be it as discussed on the Thrillcast a slightly toned down Max but it really worked. The mood, atmosphere of of ruined times past and the new things that spring up in there place was just fantastic. Yes it was just set-up but damned good set up.

Grey Area hurtles to a conclusion I'm not ready for and I don't think the strip is either, still its a delight and lets face it Dabnett nows a damned sight more than me.

As I've said before, slight changes tweeks and tune-ups can make the Prog sing when it might have stuttered.

Oh liked Driod-life too.

Richard

Dredd is obviously a comedy, so don't take it too seriously.

Kymn is [spoiler]definitely dead.[/spoiler]

In Kingmaker I felt that they all [spoiler]got out of that predicament rather too easily[/spoiler].

I know Survival Geeks isn't everyone 's cup of tea, but I like it. Happy to have 30 consecutive episodes of this.

gameluvah

Quote from: Richard on 23 March, 2019, 09:57:40 PM
I know Survival Geeks isn't everyone 's cup of tea, but I like it. Happy to have 30 consecutive episodes of this.

Wait what??? Where was this said?

NapalmKev

Quote from: gameluvah on 24 March, 2019, 06:25:44 PM
Quote from: Richard on 23 March, 2019, 09:57:40 PM
Survival Geeks. Happy to have 30 consecutive episodes of this.

Wait what??? Where was this said?

I think this is wishful thinking on Richard's part rather than a statement of fact.

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Darren Stephens

That cover *shouldn't * work, but JDH pulls it off magnificently.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

IndigoPrime

I'm surprised this is seemingly being billed as the end of Grey Area. Has Abnett had enough?

Richard

I took it to mean it was the end of the current series, rather than the end forever.

Proudhuff

Nooooo! no Prog at Huff Mansions... :'(
DDT did a job on me

Bolt-01

With regard to Grey Area- I think it really is intended to be the end. Wonder if Abnett is gearing up for a new series?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 25 March, 2019, 12:45:24 PM
With regard to Grey Area- I think it really is intended to be the end. Wonder if Abnett is gearing up for a new series?

That's certainly the take home I got from the message in the Nerve Centre... or was it letters, that said series finale - which I took to mean the end end?

Hope Dabnett has something else up his sleeve for Tharg. At the moment he is aon absolute fire. Maybe he just felt he had too many things on the go and needed to cut back... who knows. As long as it means we get something new OR even better more regular Sinister Dexter I'll get over it... eventually!

Magnetica

I read it as the end of this series, but the tag line for next Prog is "End of an Era", so it could well be the end of it completely.

I will be very sorry to see it go if it is, especially given some of the discussions on this forum over the last couple of years about the need for a strip that lends itself to one off tales with no prior knowledge required, medium, length tales and epics. Seems to me Grey Area fits the bill very well for that (as does Sinister Dexter).

Given Kingdom has apparently finished as well, that's two top DAbnett thrills we are down. It also looks like Lawless is heading for its end game in the Meg. Again I hope not.

broodblik

Well Grey Area was a good series and it would  be sad to loose it (I would rather have Sinister Dexter ending). Well at least we know that Brink will continue. I still have hope that we have not seen the end of Kingdom
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.