Main Menu

Confusion over 3D graphics cards. Help me?

Started by Jared Katooie, 02 November, 2005, 01:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Katooie

I recently purchased a brand new and fancy computer. having wanted one for about seven years or so I feel quite pleased.

As far as I could tell, my computer should run most any game available but, to my frustration this doesn't appear to be the case. For some reason I cant run certain games without turning down the graphical settings (and with others I dont even get the option of turning them down), as a result they look - to put it bluntly - totally shite.

Unfortunately I know very little about graphics cards and so I need to consult the experts. If you can tell me what I need to do to make my games pretty then please do so.

MY PC

Processor: Over 3 gig.
Ram: Over a gig.
Hard Drive: Over 300 gig.

Graphics card: nVidia GeForce 256 MB.

I'm running Deus Ex 2 and I had to lower the resolution and turn off most of the effects. Far Cry wont run unless everything is turned down.

Bizarrely Prince of Persia: Sands of time and Splinter Cell: Pandora tomorrow both look great despite the fact that I got a message from both saying they might not even run!

Any advice on graphics cards would be welcome. Sorry to go on for so long.

How are all of yiz anyway?

Art

As far as I can tell there's too kinds of graphics cards, ones that are too old and ones that you haven't bought yet...

Jared Katooie

But mine has a big number after it! It shouldn't be out of date for at least a month!

Conexus

just buy games from the two for a tenner or two for twenty quid racks, they're usually safe

James

nVidia GeForce ____? 256 MB.

What's the model number? 6800? 7800?

WoD

Do you have the most recent drivers downloaded?

Jared Katooie

It's a 6200 if I recall correctly.

As regards drivers, I'm not sure where to get them. Checked their website but no luck.

WoD

OK - go to

www.nvidia.com (not UK) and look for driver updates.  It's not too hard to find...

Also, use your link to the Farcry website in your programs list (start/all programs/farcry - or whatever it is) and get their updates too)  This is important as Farcry runs like crap without the patches, and looks poop to boot.

Cheers,
M.

PS - report back....

WoD

For the Nvidia drivers go here;

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

and select Grahpics Drive, GeForce and TNT2, and then your operating system (XP I'm guessing) and then GO!

For FarCry go here;

http://www.farcrygame.com/uk/home.php

The patches are on the left hand side...I don't know if you need to install them all in order, but if you do, it's not going to hurt your system just take longer.

Hope it helps.

WoD.

Jared Katooie

Thanks for the advice WoD. I'll give that a try and see if things work out ok.

Feckin' dial up connection...