Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

The Lazarus Project, has some fun timey-wimey handwaving, and a few outragous technobabble sprouts, but is a fun ride.
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

So many shows I'm meant to be watching. Not checked out Obi Wan yet, Season 3 of DD awaiting BUT got sidelined by checking out Paper Girls on Amazon Prime - big fan of the comic when it was coming out. So two episodes in and its REALLY good.

Its takes a clumsy 25 minutes or so to put all the pieces in place but after that its just flown by. The high concept is one thing. Four paper girls, of the title, thrown into the far future, well 2019 from 1988 when accidently getting caught in some future conflicit.

Forget that though its the interactions between the four leads AND one of the leads and her future self that make this utterly brilliant telly. Check it out... and not just cos the more popular this show gets the more my back issues go up in value. No rather so you can explain to folks that NO actually the comics came out BEFORE Stranger Things was a thing so it isn't a copy - got it (I've never watched Stranger Things - yes,yes its on the list, so don't know?)... oh and cos its bloody good!

Colin YNWA

5 episodes in and Paper Girls is must watch TV just fantastic. Watch it.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Radbacker

Another yes for Paper Girls, after slow first half of ep 1 it's great, watched Ep 3 and 4 last night and my st say hello unexpected [spoiler]MECH[/spoiler] at the end has cemented it for me.  May not be available for nexpected for fans of the comic though.  Wouldn't really say it is like Stranger Things though but it does have a great and believable child cast which is what made season 1 of Stranger Things so great.

CU Radbacker

pictsy

Still ploughing through One Piece.  Things picked up with Enies Lobby arc, but it looks like it might drag towards the conclusion.

Hawkmumbler

No love for Skypia? My favourite arc.

pictsy

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 04 August, 2022, 02:37:56 PM
No love for Skypia? My favourite arc.

Unfortunately that's my real low point.  Skypia and Arabasta were both tedious for me, but Skypia (being the latter arc) is when I really started questioning if I should carry on doing this.

What has saved the show for me is largely Franky.  He's been delightful.  Franky and Chopper are the best.
It also focusing on finding a place for Robin in the crew is nice because I think she's yet to develop a personality at this point in the story and has pretty just been tagging along.
I am getting the impression that this is where the overarching storyline is really starting to get developed and I certainly needed that if I'm going to slog through the rest of this.

The Legendary Shark

The Sandman. Some interesting - and often inspired - casting choices plus interesting adaptions are making this very enjoyable for me. The only downside is that I've binged too much in one day so only have two episodes left to watch tomorrow (or none, if I stay up too late - which means I'll miss out on some of my own dream time...).

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Colin YNWA

Paper Girls

The last episode was a little disappointing as so much is crammed in, weirdly as it still leaves us hangin' so threre didn't feel the need to end were it did. The hectic pace means that there was little time for what made the first 7 episodes SO good, the character interactions.

Still I can forgive that, if we get more as this was top class telly for the vast majority of its 8 episode run.

Dandontdare

Just about to start Sandman. I'm genuinely nervous about seeing the perfect graphic novel 'adapted'.

But I pledge this ahead of the experience: If I hate it, I'll simply stop watching, safe in the knowledge that the books remain as good.

Nah, I'll probly just watch the rest and bitch about it. *sigh*

Dandontdare

First thoughts: Happy fanboy - Of course there had to be some big liberties taken with the details, but they've "got it" overall.

So, that's where I'll be for the next 2-3 hours

Dandontdare

Okay, three episodes in and calling it a night.

Still enjoying it overall but Jenna Coleman is just as fucking annoying in this as she was in Dr Who. I had enough trouble getting my head around Keanu as John Constantine, but this is too much.

Hoping we'll see far less of her from here on, still optimistic.

DrRocka

SANDMANUp to the last episode now, loving every minute. Surprised at how faithful it is to the comics*, and how certain changes have enhanced the plot.
They obviously have some rights issues regarding use of DC characters that are licensed elsewhere, but hell, the comics were never about superheroes anyway, were they?
Like 2012's DREDD, I was just hoping not to be disappointed. Instead, I'm genuinely thrilled.
Season 2 asap, PLEASE!

*if you see skin colour or sexuality before you see the actual character in question, the problem is'nt really with the casting, matey....
Never ever bloody anything ever

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 August, 2022, 11:57:03 PM

...Jenna Coleman...

Yes. I have no problem with a female in the role, but Coleman just isn't seedy enough. I initially found Lucifer to be a bit off as well, but the actor did start to grow on me. A bit.

Apart from those two little niggles, a cracking stab at the source material.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]