Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: radiator on 14 February, 2012, 04:59:47 PM
I love the ECTB2000AD podcast review/dissection of the Stallone Dredd movie - I've listened to it at least three times now. Alec Worley is so great on it, he sounds like he's in physical pain just talking about the film.

Got a link to that radiator dude, I'd love to give it a butchers meself...?

Quote from: Misanthrope on 14 February, 2012, 11:21:44 PM
I was thinking about a sequel the other day, and I must admit I would love for it to be set in the cursed earth.
Whereas Anderson is Dredd's opposite in this film, I was thinking Koburn could be his opposite in the sequel.
Base the plot on Pat Mills' cursed earth story and bits of Origins, and this would make up for the lack of 'real' mutants in the reboot.

I hope Alex Garland goes with his original inception for Dredd for the sequel, and have Judge Death in it, but don't ask me how they'll present him in a credible and convincing way - one idea I had was have Death travel back through time (rather than another dimension) from a desolate and ravaged MC-1 in the future, proclaiming the city is to be judged now rather than continue to it's inevitable downfall years later - whilst the third Dredd movie would be an adaptation of The Apocalypse War , wherein the Big Meg is threatened with annihilation (the very destruction Death was referencing in the second movie, thereby tying the films together) by another mega-city, with Dredd leading the counter-attack through the Cursed Earth, with Mean Machine Angel employed as their guide through the wasteland, but Mean's family are also tracking Dredd's team with the intent of rescuing their bro' and killing the lawmen...just an idea...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

bigjobs67

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 February, 2012, 12:09:27 AM
"Mutie Block" John Wagner.

Thats the one. Cheers Joe. Doesn't hurt that its all Kev Walker art too. :thumbsup:
'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

Gonk

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 15 February, 2012, 02:19:39 AM
Quote from: wonkychop on 14 February, 2012, 11:01:54 PM
Quote from: radiator on 14 February, 2012, 03:49:59 PM
Going back to an earlier discussion about how best to implement Judge Death in the grittier, more realistic version of Dredd 2012...

How about fusing the character with that of Cal?

An insane - possibly mutant with latent powers comaparable with Anderson's - head of the SJS, stages an internal coup within Justice Department and begins a policy of executing mass swathes of the population, gaining the nickname Death, while Dredd and Anderson lead a counter-insurgency...

As the baddies would be a twisted version of the SJS, these 'Dark Judges' would all have Judge Death-like skull insignia on their judge uniforms.

That would make a fantastic plot for a sequel. Most definitely; costume and scenery could be a little more elaborate to evoke the sense of doom and madness. It would contrast well with this first film whose emphasis seems to be on urban warfare.

Sounds completely wank.

eh?
coming at a cinema near you soon

radiator

QuoteGot a link to that radiator dude, I'd love to give it a butchers meself...?

You should be able to find it on ITunes fairly easily. Just try a few searches in the podcast section in the iTunes store - try 'everything comes back to 2000ad'.

darnmarr

Beaky Smoooch you'll find it here:  http://ecbt2000ad.libsyn.com/webpage/page/3   
It's Podcast number 51 and it's about 2 hrs long.

Gonk

The trouble with Judge Death and time travel Beaky is that you're getting into the realms of pure fairy tale.
Works well in a comic, on film, looks a bit old hat.

Michaelvk

I dunno.. Worked for back to the future..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

James Stacey

Teivion

Is anyone else finding it pretty contradictory how people*, are saying everything has to be canon in the 2012 Dredd, moan that its not, but then a few pages later are also deciding that time travel and Death (for instance) should have no place in the movie ?

* I'm generalising btw, not aimed at individuals before someone goes off on one ;-)

Gonk

I'll reiterate. In the comic strip there is room for ghosts one week, time travel the next. For a film being released to a general audience it has to make up it's mind whether it's going to be a story about future criminality and the methods of the state to repress this, or a fantasy about time travel/ghosts. Too much mixing of genres is going to confuse a general audience as to the premise of the film; that's what's wrong with the first one, it's too much of a mish mash of ideas.

Science Fiction films as a whole are starting to look out of date. Why? Monitoring and surveillance of citizens is a fact. So is genetic engineering and control through drugs and mass media. Also the weaponry used by the state. Communications have become science fact. The only thing they haven't come up with is a cure for kansyr.

Gonk

Quote from: Teivion on 15 February, 2012, 12:23:25 PM
Is anyone else finding it pretty contradictory how people*, are saying everything has to be canon in the 2012 Dredd, moan that its not, but then a few pages later are also deciding that time travel and Death (for instance) should have no place in the movie ?

* I'm generalising btw, not aimed at individuals before someone goes off on one ;-)

So individuals are not allowed to recant or change their views after rational debate on a subject?

Gonk

Quote from: Teivion on 15 February, 2012, 12:23:25 PM

Quote from: wonkychop on 14 February, 2012, 11:01:54 PM
Quote from: radiator on 14 February, 2012, 03:49:59 PM
Going back to an earlier discussion about how best to implement Judge Death in the grittier, more realistic version of Dredd 2012...

How about fusing the character with that of Cal?

An insane - possibly mutant with latent powers comaparable with Anderson's - head of the SJS, stages an internal coup within Justice Department and begins a policy of executing mass swathes of the population, gaining the nickname Death, while Dredd and Anderson lead a counter-insurgency...

As the baddies would be a twisted version of the SJS, these 'Dark Judges' would all have Judge Death-like skull insignia on their judge uniforms.

That would make a fantastic plot for a sequel. Most definitely; costume and scenery could be a little more elaborate to evoke the sense of doom and madness. It would contrast well with this first film whose emphasis seems to be on urban warfare.

Teivion

Well, as far as I'm concerned it would only take one scene of Dredd walking into the vaults of Justice Dept and visiting a PSi tech lab experimenting on dimensional shifts to introduce a supernatural/ time travel element to the world.
Bond gets away with it every time he visits Q, doesn't he?

Isnt the greatness of Dredd the fact that it IS a multi-verse world anyway? get rid of that wealth of material, and you are left with a cops-n-robber film, period.

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

I think thats great for people who know Dredd but for those who see Dredd for the first couple of movies (grud willing there will be more after this) then a sequential shift into the more outlandish areas from the comic would have to come later.

Establish the anti hero, his world, the system, the inhabitants of that world in the first two movies and then divert into other realms.
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Gonk

In the comics the multiveresal Dredd works very well. A film is only two hours long, it has to be condensed radically from the comic.