Main Menu

Cinema going question or "Are you really THAT f*cking hungry"

Started by bluemeanie, 20 June, 2012, 04:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

the only films I tend to go to the cinema for are the big eyeball-candy superhero/scifi/action flicks, which these days are so bloody loud I never seem to hear the munchers. TALKERS on the other hand... kill 'em!

I almost got annoyed at some very young kids in the Avengers who talked too much, but I couldn't help grin during the fight scenes though as their little heads were exploding and it was all "did you see.. and then WHAM... and... and.. and Hulk just POW!...". At the end they all rushed to the front and roared around swinging imaginary hammers and clobbering each other.

radiator

Talking during the film is bang out of order, but the people who give me dirty looks for talking during the adverts before the film can get fucked.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: radiator on 20 June, 2012, 07:59:24 PM
...the adverts before the film can get fucked.

FTFY

Haven't been to the cinema since my local Odeon made me sit through forty-fuckin-five minutes of ads before The Dark Knight
You may quote me on that.

SuperSurfer

People can talk through adverts as much as they like as far as I am concerned. But those who find every other advert just so hilarious kind of wind me up. A little bit.

Buttonman

One year I saw 145 separate features at the cinema - I had a pass and a diary. For example i can tell you that on 01/11/2004 I saw Oldboy, Man on Fire and House of the Dead and although I didn't record the details I can guarantee that someone annoyed me at each one - even those screenings with two people!

Big bug bear is the text checker who thinks his window of bright light is fine during the film. I can also remember every time I've told some one to shut up - at 'The Passion of the Christ' one woman said 'there are subtitles'.

Eating food is a pain but at least it's cheap. Whaaa...

I used to be able to eat a full family sized pack of Revels before the ads and often had a numb tongue from too many sour pick and mix.

In the years since I've went less and less and this year will only see me at the pictures 3 times - Tintin, Avengers and Dredd. Dark Knight put me off the new one due to it's bloated run time and I need another Spider Man origin movie like I need another Superman reboot.

radiator

QuotePeople can talk through adverts as much as they like as far as I am concerned. But those who find every other advert just so hilarious kind of wind me up. A little bit.

Yeah I was going to mention that. Especially if it's a fucking Lynx advert or something.

Michaelvk

I fucking hate it. I ab-so-lutely fucking loath having to hear other people munching their way through crap they never eat at home during a movie.. If I get the chance, I go to 9am shows where I know there's fuck all people there to ruin my passion... For prometheus I forbade my girlfriend from getting popcorn..

..saying that.. I went to transformers 2 (I liked it.. ), at around 9am, and had to wait to get my ticket (tickets and food sold at the same counter) while a couple was selecting a mountain of popcorn and other crap. Clearly they were going to the cinema for breakfast.

I however find the majority of people at the Cardiff Odeon to be rather well behaved in comparison to the crowds in South Africa. Can't remember what I went to, but it sounded like I was sitting in a giant bag of rice crispies.. And I'm not going to mention the fucking mobile phones that shine like magnesium flares. The cinemas there are all buried deep within malls (like most these days, I suppose), so there's a lot of people who just go to the movies almost arbitrarily, and don't really seem to be there for the show itself, but to just kill time..

I hate people..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Mardroid

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 20 June, 2012, 08:10:53 PM
But those who find every other advert just so hilarious kind of wind me up. A little bit.

I know what you mean. I think part of the reason for them reacting that way is the fact they're all hyped up with their mates and excited to see the film though. I wonder if they'd laugh at the same material if they were back home watching it on the box? (Or maybe that should be 'board' since we're talking about LCD and Plasma screens. Nar, some boxes are flat...)

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Mardroid on 20 June, 2012, 08:39:11 PM
But those who find every other advert just so hilarious kind of wind me up. A little bit.

I know what you mean. I think part of the reason for them reacting that way is the fact they're all hyped up with their mates and excited to see the film though. I wonder if they'd laugh at the same material if they were back home watching it on the box?

I reckon they do and that's where I think the problem comes from. When I'm watching a film at home with me mates, we talk a lot, commenting and on the events in the movie and generally mucking about. The thing is, I realise that when I'm in a public cinema, not everyone is as forgiving of my bullshit as my mates are.
You may quote me on that.

Michaelvk

Quote from: pops1983 on 20 June, 2012, 08:45:14 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 20 June, 2012, 08:39:11 PM

I know what you mean. I think part of the reason for them reacting that way is the fact they're all hyped up with their mates and excited to see the film though. I wonder if they'd laugh at the same material if they were back home watching it on the box?

I reckon they do and that's where I think the problem comes from. When I'm watching a film at home with me mates, we talk a lot, commenting and on the events in the movie and generally mucking about. The thing is, I realise that when I'm in a public cinema, not everyone is as forgiving of my bullshit as my mates are.

At least at home you can pause and rewind.. Not so much in the theatre..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

radiator

I don't really subscribe to that rather humourless worldview of EVERYONE MUST SIT IN ABSOLUTE SILENCE DURING THE FILM. Part of the appeal of going to the cinema is the communal experience, no? A bit of noise is inevitable, and there's nothing quite like seeing a movie in a packed cinema. My girlfriend gets so absorbed in a good film that she'll often make exclamations, or shift in her seat at dramatic moments in the film - I just see that as part of the fun. I've been to some great screenings where the audience was anything but quiet - Jurassic Park and Drive to name two in recent years - and it added massively to the experience.

I draw the line at just talking throughout the film though, but mainly because it's just not worth confronting someone and getting beaten up/stabbed over, and then feeling all emasculated on the way home!

Michaelvk

Don't get me wrong.. I do enjoy the communal experience, but quite often people are just taking the piss. For some reason it's worse in SA.. Here in the UK it's a lot more well behaved by comparison.

JOE SOAP

SuperSurfer

I've often wanted to see a really scary film in the cinema for the communal experience. The scariest I've seen in the cinema is Sixth Sense and that was great. (I don't count Blair Witch Project 'cos that ain't a scary movie but I don't want to open up that debate again.) Tell a lie – I saw Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original) in an arthouse cinema and the main reaction (out of fright) was laughter.

Try seeing a subtitled English language film in a non-English speaking country in the cinema and then you are in for a tough time. I saw a film in Spain and listening to it was a lost cause. People spoke all the way through as I guess most were just reading the subtitles. Saw many films in Holland and that was fine as virtually all Dutch people are fluent in English. In fact they would often pick holes in the translated subtitles. One Dutch friend pointed out to me that "let's go get Sushi" became "let's go get Suzie" (yup, Repo Man).

SmallBlueThing

There used to be a great little sex cinema in london called the astra, or the astral, or somesuch, and i went there once with a view to purchasing it. The furtive noises from the small audience and selected working girls put any munching of popcorn or nachos into perspective.

Personally, im blissfully unaware of any food-noise when im at the cinema (which is about once year these days) but talking through movies really pisses me off. That's the real sin.

SBT