Main Menu

Cinema going question or "Are you really THAT f*cking hungry"

Started by bluemeanie, 20 June, 2012, 04:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Maybe I'm just oblivious but I go to the cinema fairly regularly and am rarely aware of any misbehaviour or noise from the rest of the audience. The trick seems to be not going on a Friday or Saturday evening. Braying student twats at the local arthouse tends to be the worst I encounter but telling them to shut up is far less intimidating (and more likely to work) than a bunch of neds.

I vastly prefer seeing a film at the pictures to watching a DVD but I'm not sure about the communal experience part. A half empty showing on a Tuesday evening suits me fine. The prospect of one of these American screenings I read about on AICN, with people whooping and hollering, fills me with abject terror.
We never really die.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 20 June, 2012, 09:40:23 PM
There used to be a great little sex cinema in london called the astra, or the astral, or somesuch, and i went there once with a view to purchasing it.

and you still haven't bought Lost Girls?

bluemeanie

Tell you what annoyed me at the cinema today... the Olympics advert before the film with Jamie Oliver saying "I'm taking part"

I didnt even know there WAS a 500m c*nt event

JOE SOAP

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

I, Cosh

We never really die.

brendan1

It's all about being considerate. Usually the volume is enough to drown out incidental noises like people chomping food, or talking. I usually have a little bag of sweeties and a drink, but I do try and pick ones that don't need unwrapping.

It's talking that does my head in. I've launched a handful of M&Ms at a group of halfwitted meffs in the cinema before, followed by a shouted "Will you fucking morons SHUT THE FUCK UP!" which actually seemed to work, but that was when I was young and angry.

Now I sit and tut. Not that I go very often anymore.

JamesC

I don't mind people eating but what annoys me is when people go to see films that they really aren't very likely to enjoy and then they get bored and talk all the way through.
My last experience of this was when a couple of parents had taken about fifteen tween girls to see Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes for a birthday party.
I had to tell them to shut up which worked fairly well but I got a really dirty look off the two parents!

radiator

I had a bad experience when I went to see Young Adult, which is quite a slow, quiet film. There were a few people just talking the whole way through the film. What really irked is that they were talking even over the credits. They clearly had no interest in giving the film a chance, so why were they even there? Why not just go to the pub instead?

Ancient Otter

I was in a small cinema in Country Kerry watching Miami Vice. The cinema was a bit lax on age restrictions as there usually a load of ten-twelve year olds and teenagers in the rated 15 films. Anyway they were acting the maggot as usual and a woman who was part of a middle-aged couple turned around and tore strips off them during the film. It didn't end there - outside the cinema after the film ended she clattered one of them, who then ran off home crying....

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: radiator on 21 June, 2012, 11:13:54 AM
I had a bad experience when I went to see Young Adult, which is quite a slow, quiet film. There were a few people just talking the whole way through the film. What really irked is that they were talking even over the credits. They clearly had no interest in giving the film a chance, so why were they even there? Why not just go to the pub instead?

Indeed. This baffles me. I mean, handing over something in the area of £10 to NOT watch a film?? As you say, you can go tot the pub and not watch it there, and have more money for some f*cking WKDs or something. Too much disposable income I think.

brendan1

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 28 June, 2012, 04:49:59 PM

Indeed. This baffles me. I mean, handing over something in the area of £10 to NOT watch a film?? As you say, you can go tot the pub and not watch it there, and have more money for some f*cking WKDs or something. Too much disposable income I think.

When I saw Prometheus for the second time with civilians, there was a bloke in there who'd clearly spent a lot of time in the pub *before* going to the cinema. He was fucking *smashed* and kept shouting at the screen.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: brendan1 on 28 June, 2012, 04:52:23 PM
Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 28 June, 2012, 04:49:59 PM

When I saw Prometheus for the second time with civilians, there was a bloke in there who'd clearly spent a lot of time in the pub *before* going to the cinema. He was fucking *smashed* and kept shouting at the screen.

To be fair though, he was watching Prometheus...