Main Menu

The Best Way To Buy

Started by Cthulouis, 14 January, 2010, 12:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cthulouis

Hi all,

I have recently been considering the way that I spend money, and how to make my cash best benefit those whose cause I wish to support.

It is my understanding that subscriptions to 2000ad are preferred by Tharg as the best way of getting the Prog, as they ensure that he gets the biggest cut of the cash pie (though please, correct me if I'm wrong).

Is there an equivalent "best way" to get the collected trades? For the past year I have been dipping my toes into buying things on this new fangled internet thing everyone seems to be using these days. However, while I initially welcomed the cheap prices of such places as Amazon, I now wonder if my purchases are doing more harm than good.

By buying these cheap goods, am I reducing the amount of cash Tharg gets? Is there a source of these goods that gives Tharg more money than any other?

I realise that many prefer to support their local Thrill-merchant, and it is the failure of my own local (Boarders) that has got me thinking about these things. Is there anywhere else in York that sells a good collection of tooth stuff?

(I would go to Travelling Man, but have found them pretty un-helpful in the past. This, and the fact that they give more shelf space to 40K novels (1 shelf, last time I was in there) than 2000ad (less than 1 shelf), leads me to guess I'm not in their target market. I genuinely wish them the best in making money elsewhere.)     

radiator

The shop on the 2000AD site would give them maximum profit I expect.

pauljholden

I'd buy them at the next  UK Comic con.

-pj

Bolt-01

Yeah, what PJ said. I'm pretty lucky in that I've been able to get a few trades gratis, for review, however I almost always try to pick up 2 or 3 when I see the lads at a show. Also, they normally have really good discounts at the shows as well- I managed to get the Dan Fransisco badge as part of my last bag of swag.

Of course if you don't get to a show that doesn't help at all, but...

Colin YNWA

Out of interest (and I'm not sure about this at all) but is there an arguement that goes in terms of the best place to buy them for 2000ad's benefit its actually a mainstream shop like Waterstones?

The reason being that the more people that purchase in mainstream shops. The more stock that the mainstream shops will buy in. The more expensure they'll get the people will see them in mainstream shops and therefore buy them there. Its a postive feedback cycle thingie. Short term yeah direct from Rebellion makes sense but long term is there not a arguement for buying from mainstream bookshops... I'm of course assuming that they aren't dying on their arse here which might sabotage my point before I've started!

As you can see I'm winging this completely as I've only just thought about this while reading this thread so there may be many a hole in this bit of logic but I'll throw it out there anyway for discussion (or pulling apart)

maryanddavid

QuoteThe reason being that the more people that purchase in mainstream shops. The more stock that the mainstream shops will buy in. The more expensure they'll get the people will see them in mainstream shops and therefore buy them there. Its a postive feedback cycle thingie.

I suspect that this is the right way to buy, buying at the convetion or sub I would think is the Icing on thae cake fot Rebellion. If rebellion were relying solely on subs and convention sales we wouldnt be here. Possibly ordering from you local book/comic/newsagents will make 2000ad available where it once wasent.

David