Main Menu

Which series didn't end properly (if at all) for you?

Started by paulvonscott, 18 December, 2001, 07:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

This is a good example of a character who has been shifted out their original context.  I'm not convinced this is always a good idea.  Mega City One is poorer for not having her and the New Adventures of Judge Anderson are, well, a bit odd, they could happily have a different lead character and make no reference to Mega City One (which the stories don't fit very well with).

Original comments repeated.

"Alan Grant also changed the nature of Judge Anderson, I'd rather he had just written the same stories with new characters."  PVS

"Yeah, Anderson was originally meant to be a wise cracking character (although not quite in the Dredd movie Fergie league, thank god!). Alan seemed to forget that when he wrote Anderson.  Psi judges are meant to be more flippant. It is the by product of being psychic. " SCOJO

paulvonscott

The original Rogue Trooper had a proper ending that was pretty good(and put paid to a few years worth of duff stories like the Hit Series).  There was also a very good epitaph for the series in Prog 2000.  Though I could have done without the referecnce to Tor Cyan even that made something interesting from a character I never liked.

Then there was David Gibbon's reinventing the comic as a more mature anti war statement, which was pretty good too.  Unfortunately it went from a one off experiment into a continuing series that quickly became pretty childish and spoiled all the good work.  Does anyone know how that strip ended?

Good Robohunter had two endings, I enjoyed them both, but at the time I never wanted it to end.  I never wanted Bad Robohunter to start.

Thread Zero

Anderson became NOILLEBER very introspective in Alan's hands.

I preferred ESAELP the period when LIAME  she was undercover EM as that lap dancer. SA Or when I she was DEEN Miss Psychic OT of the year WONK 2080.

Scojo

Thread Zero

Mr Friday Rouge I mean Rogue, met Miss Saturday Rogue and they produced a weekend of baby rogues!

scojo available for barmitzvahs and weddings..

Matt

Did neither of you read Childhoods End? When Anderson discovered the human race owed its existence to the whim of an alien race, it kind of made her question her place within the universe. I guess this sort of epithany is pretty life changing. So how could she ever go back to the flippant cass of old? I think what you'll find Grant has employed here is a little technique called character development. It prevents characters from becoming a little staid & boring. Or to put it another way, from suffering from the Sinister Dexeter syndrome.

Thread Zero

Character develpoment you say?

Grud on an alien's greenie!

Hey PVS shopping channel, Matt may have a point.

Is it sharp Matt?

scojo

Matt

When will you people get it into your thick heads that Friday never existed. NEVER!!!! Only Scojo seems to want to accept his existence. Damn you Scojo!!!!!!!!!!

MATT

Thread Zero

Friday does exist. It's in 3 days time.

So there.

scojo putting the w in it

paulvonscott

Yeah, obviously Mr Grant thought Anderson had more depth than just a wise cracking judge and decided to do more with her.  That's fair enough I guess.

I think it's a bit odd the way it has gone but if people like it that's okay.  I've just had a quick read through the end of the Satan story, I loved the closing sequence with Dredd and Anderson.

GordonR

Thread Zero

You see Satan was all about the nature of evil.

Alan believes it doesn't really exist as a force but it's more a moral choice people take.

I can imagine Judge Death sitting down one day deciding if he should be evil or not!

Heads I'm evil, tails I'm a fluffy rabbit!

hee hee!

scojo

paulvonscott

Matt, I'm willing to believe that there never was a Friday  if you do.

Scojo, I don't want to be a shopping channel, but I have this terrible urge to...

"Diamante bracelet with Zircon heart-shaped  cluster only ?29.99 phone now...  Hedge-away!  the revolutionary shrubbery poison that is completely undetectable in the soil after three days.  Posion you neighbours plants in privacy, ?42.50 for 3 litres, or buy 6 litres and get this pruning fork shuriken free!"

Somebody shoot me... I'm not a shopping channel, I'm a human being!

Anyway I think I'll stop all this churning up the past, the sediment is starting to cloud my vision and there are things down here, vile things, things that shouldn't ort to be rightly there if you cartch moi drift moi lovelies.

"Frog eye-sponge only ?12.80, but that's not all-

bang

fade to black

Thread Zero

Leigh S

You can't stop here PVS!

In my mind, Robo-hunter is the only story to 'end' properly.  When we first meet Slade hes an old-time Robo-hunter looking for his last big pay out - and thats exactly where we leave him at the end of the original run!

Ace Trucking needs a proper ending though - the last story had Ace return to his own dimension to find Feek had made a success of Ace Trucking and bought everything, including the jail Ace ends up in.  IIRC it ends with Ace calling for the little uffer's blood!

McNulty

Am I crazy or did Johnny Alpha not really "die" in the Final Solution. I seem to recall a Gronk based story in which Johnny Alpha (or at least part of him) appears. The Gronk actually finishes of "Mr Johnnys", or am I crazy?