Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: Tordelback on 07 May, 2016, 08:23:57 AM

OMG, London under Sharia Law! At least Scotland remains loyal to Israel. Etc.

I know that there are some that would love to see Britain as an Islamic state.  I've seen videos in the past.  That said, I've rarely if ever heard the sentiments repeated so I don't think that they are too credible.  Considering the number of councils in the UK that have muslim councillors already I'm not sure how much support there is amongst muslim politicians.

That said, it could be common sense kicking in.  Although we have a large muslim population in this country there are more that are not.  Are they really willing to pick a fight with radical atheists?  I don't see that happening in a hurry.

Having said all this, you could well have been joking and I've completely missed it!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tjm86 on 07 May, 2016, 01:23:02 PM
Having said all this, you could well have been joking and I've completely missed it!

I'm afraid it was the latter. My attempted jokes would probably be more obvious if they were actually funny.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Professor Bear on 06 May, 2016, 08:52:37 PMOne fleetingly-mentioned tidbit was interesting, though: because of the recent boundary changes, getting a majority of votes won't actually let Labour win the next General Election.
Labour really only have themselves to blame for this. Arrogance during their third term should have been countered by people noting that this wouldn't go on forever, and that they would very obviously be stitched up the second the Tories got back in. Then was the time to shove through, at the very least, AV+ (without a bloody referendum) or even STV/AMS. Now, we're basically fucked for any kind of electoral reform, because the Tories will be able to get a majority in 2020 with as little as a third of the vote. It's insane.

Tjm86

Quote from: Tordelback on 07 May, 2016, 01:29:32 PM
... My attempted jokes would probably be more obvious if they were actually funny.

Well, David Cameron is not that obvious and definitely not very funny so I wouldn't get too upset.

In fact there is little if anything funny about the current shower.  What is most disturbing is that we now have a generation of young voters coming through who never have experienced a full on Tory government and only have Blair / Brown's Tory lite as a comparator for Labour.  Fifteen years of this ... "Be afraid, be very afraid."

IndigoPrime

I think people are suddenly realising what full-Tory means. (I also suspect people will look back on the coalition and realise that while the Liberal Democrats made a few massive blunders — most notably the AV referendum and the health bill — they did in fact reign in the worst excesses of the Conservatives.) But what they don't have is any understanding that an alternative even exists, not least given that the PLP is banging on about how Corbyn and pals are screwing up by suggesting such a thing even exists.

Tjm86

I couldn't agree more.  The Liberals thought they could do a deal with the devil and come out smelling of roses.  They got the (on some level accurate) blame for letting the Tories anywhere near Downing Street again but at the same time the PLP seems to be utterly determined to give the Tories a bigger mandate next time round.  The same arrogance that drove them out of power is keeping them from recognising what they need to do to become a credible force. 

Professor Bear

There's a petition to independently investigate the impartiality of the BBC's political editor, should you be interested in signing such a thing.

The Legendary Shark

People vote for monkeys and then wonder why they get shit thrown at them.

(I hope I don't need to say that this isn't meant in a racist way but in a politicianist way.)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Racist.

/follows Sharky into the toilet and bangs on the door asking why he loves Hitler

The Legendary Shark

It's that come-hither 'tasche.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 07 May, 2016, 10:17:39 PM
People vote for monkeys and then wonder why they get shit thrown at them.

(I hope I don't need to say that this isn't meant in a racist way but in a politicianist way.)

That is quite offensive. Monkey's are adorable when they try to act like people.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

Luckily, though, monkeys can't read.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

I was also going to say, people trying to act like monkey's ... not so much.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Which, if I remember my Librarian correctly means ... "Oi watch it you or I'll come over and rip your arms off?"