Main Menu

MCM Dublin comic con

Started by Gavin_Leahy_Block, 07 April, 2014, 09:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Gavin_Leahy_Block on 07 April, 2014, 09:42:01 PM
Guests include Glenn Fabry, Simon Bisley and John McCrea.

Hadn't heard McCrea was going too, very nice chap- have chatted to him at DICE the last two years.

As I mentioned on another tread, probably wont make this, but will see how I get on.
Would sure love a Joe Pineapples sketch...

Gavin_Leahy_Block

I had a really great time at MCM on Saturday, but it had a completely different feeling compared to any of the other con's that I have attended. While it was a lot less personal, it did have really nice mix of people there with varying interests.
I got a several things signed and two sketches.

Don Uggie Apelino by John McCrea

Dredd by Glenn Fabry

I also saw a sneak peek of some upcoming artwork that looks amazing.

Link Prime

Love 'em Gav.

Did you get to meet Biz too?
What were the lines like for Fabry / Biz?

COMMANDO FORCES

Great sketches there Gav, especially Don and the smoking' banana!

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Ya, I met Biz too. Got him to sign The Book of Scars and the Batman Judge Dredd Collection, but didn't have a chance to get a sketch. He is very much larger then life, but very friendly too.

The lines were fine with just two or three people queueing, so no one was waiting more then 20 minutes.

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 14 April, 2014, 08:43:59 PM
Great sketches there Gav, especially Don and the smoking' banana!

Thanks, it really is fantastic. Every time I taught McCrea had finished, he would pick up another pen and add more detail and shading to it.

Link Prime

Good stuff.
Knew I shoulda went. Next time!

Call-Me-Kenneth

I didn't really get to stick around for long, I was there for 1-2 hours max, but it did seem like good fun. But I did get to hit the town with Biz, Fabry and McCrea on Saturday. Really, really mad funny night. They were all dead sound.

Link Prime

Nice one Ken.
Now I really should have gone.

Andrew_J

Quote from: Call-Me-Kenneth on 14 April, 2014, 09:05:33 PM
But I did get to hit the town with Biz, Fabry and McCrea on Saturday. Really, really mad funny night. They were all dead sound.

You can't just throw that handgrenade into the room and walk away. Sounds like a fantastic night out. Where did you end up with that trio? Hope it wasn't Copper Face Jacks.

pauljholden

Quote from: Andrew_Judge on 08 April, 2014, 04:38:25 PM
Yep a great shame as 2D was the sort of place Cam Kennedy would be sitting by himself happy to talk war comics with you for an hour. Far more relaxed and open than any other event and always with a minimum of ten 2000AD droids.

Agreed. 2DFest has to be one of the best genuine comic cons in Ireland, along with DICE. I had that great conversation with Cam Kennedy too. What a gentleman.
Its such a pity that they seem to have had the rug pulled from under them by the Arts Council. Hopefully they'll be back next year.

Most embarrassing 2DFest fanboy story:
Me (to pauljholden): "I love your work PJ. You're one of the best Dredd artists"
PJ Holden: "Well you obviously haven't read much Dredd then"
Me (thinks): "F*@k you Holden".

Ah, man, I feel like a right git now. I can assure you I was joshing out of slightly uncomfortable embarrassment - I'm glad you like my work, I've got more and more comfortable drawing dredd over the years, but don't consider myself able to touch the hem of many of the really great dredd artists. Sorry if your first run in with me was awful for you, make yourself known to me the next time you see me and there's a free dredd sketch in it for you.
(Updated to say: as my wife and some friends will gleefully point out: that sounds like my aspergers - (they've diagnosed me.))

-PJ

Andrew_J

Quote from: pauljholden on 15 April, 2014, 09:19:18 PM

Ah, man, I feel like a right git now. I can assure you I was joshing out of slightly uncomfortable embarrassment

Jaysus PJ, I was only joking. Sorry if that came across badly. You were being overly modest and I got embarrassed for sounding like a 12 year old fanboy. We ended up having a grand chat and indeed you did a great Dredd sketch for my son which he has pinned up proudly beside his bed.
And I stick to my opinion that your Dredd is up there with the best.

Richmond Clements

PJ Holden: the most Evil man in comics.

Call-Me-Kenneth

Quote from: Andrew_Judge on 15 April, 2014, 01:18:54 PM
Quote from: Call-Me-Kenneth on 14 April, 2014, 09:05:33 PM
But I did get to hit the town with Biz, Fabry and McCrea on Saturday. Really, really mad funny night. They were all dead sound.

You can't just throw that handgrenade into the room and walk away. Sounds like a fantastic night out. Where did you end up with that trio? Hope it wasn't Copper Face Jacks.
I Pmed you about the evening.