Main Menu

Ross and Brand vs. Civilisation

Started by paulvonscott, 29 October, 2008, 07:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

The Daily Mail are now trying to lynch Frankie Boyle and the BBC as they run a story the the wonderful headline "Even as Russell Brand row raged, BBC 'comedians' were insulting the Queen" where they fan the flames of hatred for the Beeb for showing a repeat of Mock the Week where Boyle makes a joke about the Her Maj. You couldn't make it up!

//http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1081966/Even-Russell-Brand-row-raged-BBC-comedians-insulting-Queen.html

Also, today they're running an expose on Georgina Baillie. The piece is very negative about her and describes in detail S&M style practices she got up to with 'a client' and also prints and describes private and very racy photos of her.

My questions are - How is this different than what Brand and Ross did? Will Andrew Sach's not see, and be embarrassed by this? Will this article not cause stress and upset to the Sachs family? Will their editor be sacked?

I know that the Daily Mail isn't funded by licence payers cash but still, their double standards absolutely sicken me.

Hoagy

You can see the boardroom hysteria at the public backing;

" This is our moment people, it is our time to shine!!"

Bleh.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "Pete Wells"The Daily Mail are now trying to lynch Frankie Boyle and the BBC as they run a story the the wonderful headline "Even as Russell Brand row raged, BBC 'comedians' were insulting the Queen" where they fan the flames of hatred for the Beeb for showing a repeat of Mock the Week where Boyle makes a joke about the Her Maj. You couldn't make it up!

//http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1081966/Even-Russell-Brand-row-raged-BBC-comedians-insulting-Queen.html

Arh well that's the price of actually agreeing with something something said in the Mail. I've sold my soul to the devil and now I must pay the price and hate one of my favourite comedians while 'struggling to pay my mortgage'...

...oh hold on ... no... no ... phew its ok... I've just realised. I have the ability to distinguish between something being offensive when said on a topical satirical TV show and comments made ON SOMEONES PHONE. One is comedy and the 'victim' can ignore it, one is insulting and invasive - phew

Thank God the Daily Mail is still a bastion of insane ranting and my agreeing with it was a one of freak occurance. The world returns to normal!

Colin YNWA

Oh while I'm giving my take on things one agrument that really bugged from people defending Ross and Brand is that most people had complained only after the event having seen all the fuss and retrospectively investigated.

To be honest this is a shocking arguement. Its a good thing if the news informs people about things they don't know about, they go and investigate and having done that form an opinion on it (of course people who get that mixed up, hear about it, form an opinion, then go and investigate need to sort themselves out). The only shame is that people haven't been motivate to apply this rigourous research into a more worthy news story - ahem say the man making his third posting about it...

gnilleps

Close one there, Brunt. Only listened to that the other day.

DavidXBrunt

Ah it's not a spoiler if it's months after the release. It's not like I've spoiled the ending of Time Reed with Brewsters death...

Adrian Bamforth

Am I the only one who finds Manuel a bit offensive?

TordelBack

QuoteAm I the only one who finds Manuel a bit offensive?

Nah, everyone from Barthelona is exactly like that.   (Good point, Adrian!).

Roger Godpleton

BREAKING NEWS

I have just realised that as a result of this fiasco the song "Perfect Gentleman" by Wyclef Jean has become culturally relevant. I suggest we make the most of this situation while it lasts.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqlfOXynuAk

JUST COS SHE DANCE THE POLE-POLE
IT DON'T MAKE HER A HO, NO
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Grant Goggans

Quote from: "TordelBack"...grown men should not be playing offensive versions of the kind of phone games we used to play when we were 10 ...
"Is Mr Wall there?  Is Mrs Wall there?  Are any of the Walls there?" etc.

Not to undermine your point, but I'd never heard this one, and just had a really good chuckle over it.

The only time I ever prank called somebody, or "played spugbug" in M-C1 parlance, I asked for Bill, intending to throw a fit when they said I had the wrong number.  The lady said "Yeah, he's here, hang on a minute," so I hung up.  I was obviously never good at that sort of game.

Trout

Now I feel really guilty for looking up the phone book and laughing at someone called William Dick.

- Trout

Matt Timson

When I was a student, I used to work in telesales in the evenings.  We used to ring two people who'd previously been rude to us, put the phones together and listen in on the resultant mess with extensions.  It was comedy gold every time.

"Hello?"

"Yes?"

"Yes, what?"

"What do you mean, "yes what"- who is this?"

"Never mind who I am- you rang me.  Who are you?"

"What are you talking about- you rang me!"

"I most certainly did not!"

etc., etc...

Hours of fun.

:lol:
Pffft...

Matt Timson

Quote from: "ctaylor"Oh while I'm giving my take on things one agrument that really bugged from people defending Ross and Brand is that most people had complained only after the event having seen all the fuss and retrospectively investigated.

To be honest this is a shocking arguement. Its a good thing if the news informs people about things they don't know about, they go and investigate and having done that form an opinion on it (of course people who get that mixed up, hear about it, form an opinion, then go and investigate need to sort themselves out). The only shame is that people haven't been motivate to apply this rigourous research into a more worthy news story - ahem say the man making his third posting about it...

I think it has a lot less to do with defending Ross and Brand than it does about recognising the fact that 30,000+ morons have been led, like sheep, into doing the Mail's dirty work for them.  Net result being that Murdock sells a few more copies of his bilious rag, and a show that a lot of people enjoyed is no longer on the air.  Particularly galling is the fact that those complaining don't even listen to the show.  It's a bit like your Dad unplugging your stereo because he's heard bad things from somebody else about the dangers of this new fangled rock and roll music.
Pffft...

Pete Wells

Yeah, you beat me to it Matt, I was just going to post the same thing. Nice analogy at the end mind you!

Colin YNWA

Ok lets try another analogy.

People hear on the news that there is a humanitarian crisis in the Democratic Repulbic of Congo, People investigate the background and whats happening there, people choose to donate to the Oxfam supporting people over there.

By the logic being used this would be infuriating as people haven't 'witnessed' the events first hand.

Now I use that analogy deliberately to back up my point that the real shame and embarrassment to the country is that such people haven't got involved in a more signifciant news story NOT to compare the two situations.

The point I'm making is just because people don't hear, witness something first hand doesn't mean they can't gather information and form a valid opinion about it and act on that opinion. Yeah the fact that 30000 people have done the Daily Mail's dirty work and russled up hate and anger is a massive pity BUT that doesn't make the argument that people have been inspired to act via the news a valid one. There are many valid arguments that can be used but this just isn't one.