Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 November, 2012, 11:39:16 AM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 13 November, 2012, 11:37:56 AM
Yeah but War Machine was pretty damned good. Incredible art from Will 'whatever happened to' Simpson.

Currently storyboard artist on Game of Thrones and (very slowly) developing a creator-owned vampire book whenever he gets enough time to work on it...

Cheers

Jim

And maker / fitter of Natalie Portman's knickers for Black Swan.

Truely some Droids go on to greatness.

Great to see Critchlow back in the Prog. He's a fantastic artist.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

optimusjamie

Quote from: James Stacey on 28 November, 2012, 03:14:42 PM
Prog 1812 wraps up cold deck with - [spoiler]Trifecta with art by Carl Critchlow![/spoiler] This makes me exceedingly happy. Too long from the Prog.

Yeah- this looks like it's gonna be epic. I can't wait for next week.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: James Stacey on 28 November, 2012, 03:14:42 PM
Prog 1812 wraps up cold deck with - [spoiler]Trifecta with art by Carl Critchlow![/spoiler] This makes me exceedingly happy. Too long from the Prog.
Oh.Fuck.Yeah.  :D

Dash Decent

Amazon UK posted the cover for the IDW Bolland book a couple of days ago.  Then they cancelled it off my order yesterday saying it was 'unavailable'.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

radiator

I've never seen that cover before. What's with the little flying thing? I think it'd be better if they removed it.

Frank

Quote from: radiator on 09 December, 2012, 11:35:23 AM
I've never seen that cover before. What's with the little flying thing? I think it'd be better if they removed it.

It's a recoloured version of Bolland's cover for volume one of Judge Dredd's Crime Files, a late Eighties Fleetway forerunner of The Restricted Files. I think the whimsical wee monster in question is supposed to refer to the much nastier ripperjacks in Wagner, Grant and Higgins's Last of the Bad Guys (from the 1988 Judge Dredd annual), but you're right that the image would work much better without it.

Colin YNWA

I'm probably wrong, but could that have been inked by someone else? The lower half, gloves and belt just don't have the easy precision I normally associate with Mr Bolland.

radiator

Yeah, it's a little rough isn't it?

The colouring is adequate, but nothing more.

Frank

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 09 December, 2012, 12:44:57 PM
I'm probably wrong, but could that have been inked by someone else? The lower half, gloves and belt just don't have the easy precision I normally associate with Mr Bolland.

The IDW cover is definitely not Bolland; all his computer coloured work has layer upon layer of eggshell textures and a distinctive palette. I haven't checked his fantastically cranky blog for a while, but if he hasn't seen this image already the email I'm about to send him will produce something that makes his berating of Erró Gudmundur, the Icelandic fine artist who 'appropriated' his Tank Girl cover, look like a pleasant chat between old friends.

If Bolland took umbrage at John Higgins's decent colour work on The Killing Joke, god knows what he'll make of this.

Spikes

Slightly weak choice of cover, that.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 09 December, 2012, 12:44:57 PM
I'm probably wrong, but could that have been inked by someone else?

Is that an 'CK' after Bollands sig?

blackmocco

More like 'CR'. Looking at the belt rendering I'd say Mr Cliff Robinson had some hand in this. Maybe extending the artwork...?
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

maryanddavid

I have the original Titan edition of this here in my hands, and bollands sig is vertigal above the eagle, and its Bolland 88, and the colour is very different(and Better) I will scan tomorrow if I have time.

Frank

Quote from: blackmocco on 09 December, 2012, 11:48:24 PM
More like 'CR'. Looking at the belt rendering I'd say Mr Cliff Robinson had some hand in this. Maybe extending the artwork...?

The cropping of the image is the same as on the cover of the Crime File it originally adorned, and the colourist on IDW's books is one Charlie Kirchoff.

Robo-K33F

Quote from: Max Headroom on 19 November, 2012, 09:58:02 AM
If Robo-Keef happens to be reading this, could you give us a run-down of which stories are due to appear in the up-coming Judge Anderson Psi-Files volume 3 (including any bonus material). Cheers.

Meg 2.74 – 2.80, Something Wicked (Mar '95): 52
Meg 3.01 – 3.07, Satan (July '95): 57
Meg 3.14, The Protest (Feb '96): 8
2000 AD 1045 – 1049, Wonderwall: 30
2000 AD 1050 – 1061, Crusade: 72
2000 AD 1076, Danse Macabre: 6
2000 AD 1087 – 1089, Witch: 18
2000 AD 1090, The Great Debate: 6
2000 AD 1102 – 1103, Lawless: 12

1990 2000 AD Annual, Dear Diary: 8 (text strip)
1988 2000 AD Winter Special, Colin Wilson Block: 8
1990 Annual, Confessions of a She-Devil: 8
1991 Judge Dredd Annual, Exorcise Duty: 8 (text strip)