Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

A  lot of the really bad scripts from that time had the saving grace of having some great art, Carlos as noted above, and Ron Smith did some nice colour work on a Sonny Steelgrave, so all might not be lost. Frankenstein Division had utterly glorious art, just look at the art, do pay no heed to the lettering!

Greg M.

It always bugs me that some of Carlos's best art was effectively wasted on such dire stories - that period post-Necropolis and pre-computer-colouring when he'd totally mastered his full-coloured craft.

The Prodigal

Guys thanks for the advice on CF20. Much appreciated.

TordelBack

Quote from: Greg M. on 14 June, 2013, 10:58:45 PM
It always bugs me that some of Carlos's best art was effectively wasted on such dire stories - that period post-Necropolis and pre-computer-colouring when he'd totally mastered his full-coloured craft.

So true.  To think that he drew all of Purgatory and Inferno, and only parts of The Pit.  Grrrrrr.

radiator

Though he's done some superb Dredd in recent years I'm not a huge fan of Carlos' computer coloured stuff, always preferred his paints and markers era. Wish he could replicate some of that more organic look and feel digitally.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Apestrife on 31 May, 2013, 08:11:43 AM
If remember right, it's said in the latest 2000AD prog that Case files 22 will be released in March 2014 in some reply to a reader question.

Yeah I saw that too. I for one am delighted that The Mighty Tharg and his industrious droids have finally picked up the pace of the Case Files releases. :D

Keep up the good work, fellas!

Richard

What Greg M said.

Great art, shame about the scripts. But there is some Wagner gold among the dross, and I think CF20 is well worth picking up. Then from CF21 on the quality is right back to a high standard, which I hope will encourage Rebellion to pick up the pace for releases -- I assume they only slowed down because of the dip in quality after Necropolis finished.

Grant Goggans

Prog 1850's lineup revealed...

Stunning sci-fi action from the UK's number one anthology comic, featuring some of the best writers and artists in the business! The roster of stories wraps up on Progs 1848 and 1849 with Slaine, The Ten-Seconders, and Age of the Wolf all coming to a close and making way for a brand-new line-up in Prog 1850 - dinosaur savagery as the cowboys of Trans-Time face a new threat in 'Flesh: Badlanders'; Wren's journey across the wheel of worlds takes a dramatic turn when civil war breaks out in 'Brass Sun: The Diamond Age'; humanity battles the space invaders once again in the second series of 'Damnation Station'; and soulless killer Aquila walks the streets of Rome in 'Where All Roads Lead' Plus more zero-tolerance law enforcement with Judge Dredd!

The Adventurer

Huzzah. Brass Sun!

Looks like Ten Seconders and Age of the Wolf will be returning soon too.

I wonder if 1840 will be a 'soft' jumping on Prog.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

O Lucky Stevie!

Now that's what Stevie what calls a prog & then some.

If that's not an incentive for him to catch up with his backlog then he needs to get an entirely new hobby.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Colin YNWA

Prog 1850 has a great line-up. assuming I get on with Damnation Station more this time, the three other thrills I've really been looking forward to returning.

The Adventurer

Lee Carter is on art for Damnation Station, yes?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Adventurer on 17 June, 2013, 06:33:21 AM
Lee Carter is on art for Damnation Station, yes?
Mark Harrison wasnt it? Carters on Indigo Prime.

The Adventurer

Riiiight.

Which is all very strange. Harrison on Damnation Station. Carter on Indigo Prime. And Bagwell on Ten-Seconders.

Artdroid musical chairs!

EDIT: Oh wait, I'm was mixing up Carter's semi-regular run on Grey Area, not Damnation Station. Whoops.

Skullmo

Quote from: radiator on 14 June, 2013, 02:19:31 PM
It's a mixed bag, but I'd say you'd mostly find it carries on in that vein. It has some stories such as Book of the Dead and Frankenstein Division that are widely held to be among the worst Dredd strips of all time (I don't think I've ever fully read either of them so can't comment) - but it also has the excellent Giant by Wagner and Gibson, the divisive (read: excellent if you have any taste) Howler by Wagner & McMahon and Bury My Knee at Wounded Heart - generally considered of of the very best Dredd one-offs ever published.

I think volumes 22-24 will see an upswing in quality as we get into stuff like Tenth Planet, Wilderlands and The Three Amigos (I think Tenth Planet is scheduled for CF21, with Wilderlands in CF22...?), but hampered slightly by some pretty dodgy Megazine material, but the books that cover the 1997-2000 (Case Files 25/26/27?) period are going to be bloody brilliant, as Wagner was writing Dredd pretty much single-handedly in the prog and Meg for a few years, and a good deal of the stories from that period have never been reprinted.

And  . . . . . Crusade.
It's a joke. I was joking.