Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkDaysBish-OP

I also love Tribal Memories, and give it a first reprinting in The Best of 2000AD Special Edition back in 1993 [twenty years ago - gulp!]. Strip was subsequently reprinted again in Extreme Edition 14, according to Barney.

TordelBack

I'd have sworn it's been reprinted more often that that, just shows how firmly it's stuck in the noggin.  Tribal Memories is a great example of script and art working together to create a perfect jewel of a thing, a powerful sense of time and place, interesting characters, tidy plot and a memorable message, all in a handful of pages: exactly what 2000AD does best. 

It's been a great source of joy to me to see the short story form rising to prominence in the Prog in recent years, with the 3rillers, Bob Byrnes and the Future Terror Imperfect slots all producing material that easily matches and sometimes surpasses the headline acts.  When I started reading regularly in the 300s the Time Twisters and Future Shocks were often at the cutting edge of what you could read in comics, and I hope we're getting back to that.  Far from being filler this stuff is the USP of the anthology format.

Frank

I, Cosh

Quote from: DarkDaysBish-OP on 07 September, 2013, 08:40:27 AM
I also love Tribal Memories, and give it a first reprinting in The Best of 2000AD Special Edition back in 1993 [twenty years ago - gulp!]. Strip was subsequently reprinted again in Extreme Edition 14, according to Barney.
From Grace.
We never really die.

Richard

Dragonfly

Really liking the look of the Sci-Fi Thrillers collection, does anyone have any idea when this will be released? Sometime next year I'm guessing.
Also could someone jog my memory about Tribal Memories. Could swear I have never heard of it and that it was serialised during my absence away from the prog during the mid nineties onwards. But, alarmingly, after checking on Barney it appears to have been in progs 585 to 588, when I was fanatically reading, yet I have no memory of the story what-so-ever. Many things I remember though it seems there are things I have no recall of at all!

glassstanley

Quote from: gavingavin on 09 September, 2013, 02:34:30 PM
Really liking the look of the Sci-Fi Thrillers collection, does anyone have any idea when this will be released? Sometime next year I'm guessing.
Also could someone jog my memory about Tribal Memories. Could swear I have never heard of it and that it was serialised during my absence away from the prog during the mid nineties onwards. But, alarmingly, after checking on Barney it appears to have been in progs 585 to 588, when I was fanatically reading, yet I have no memory of the story what-so-ever. Many things I remember though it seems there are things I have no recall of at all!

Amazon have it listed for an early December release.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: credo on 06 September, 2013, 12:40:41 PM
That looks like a very interesting collection. Agreed, however, that a bumper Pete Milligan Collection would be beautiful. He was certainly an eclectic voice in 2000AD at the time - Tribal Memories, The Dead, Bad Company, Hewligan's Haircut, Bix Barton, Sooner or Later really span quite a range of styles.

Not caring for comics much outside tooth (difficult to wade through the capes to find the good stuff), I have no idea of his other work, nor why he no longer writes for the Galaxy's Greatest. Anyone want to fill me in?

Not a huge extra-toothular comic reader myself, but here's the ones I remember:

Johnny Nemo for Deadline
One Tank Girl serial which was wayyy too complex and intelligent to be a proper Tank Girl story, which should be dumb and good fun
Skreemer (which I've never read but believe is good)
Shade the Changing Man (for DC / Vertigo, which was excellent at first and was the first DC mature readers comic I read, but lost my interest after a while)

(LOTS OF IMPORTANT STUFF THROUGHOUT THE LATE 90s AND ENTIRE 2000s WHICH I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT)

Hellblazer (Throughout its last run)
Justice League Dark (Featuring the return of Shade and the new, young John Constantine without whom I personally could do).

Anyway, he's a great writer. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Colin YNWA

Yeah X-Statix, which started as X-Force was bloomin' brilliant, as are most of the things listed below. I'm also a big fan of his Human Target run.

Recently he's been doing a load of DC's Nu52 stuff, Red Lanterns being his longest run there I think. As far as I'm aware he's dropped off all those books so not quite sure what he's up to at the moment?

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 09 September, 2013, 07:37:30 PM
I'm also a big fan of his Human Target run.

As am I.

I'd avoid his run on X-Men. Quite phoned in IMO.

Banners

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ
Shade the Changing Man (for DC / Vertigo, which was excellent at first and was the first DC mature readers comic I read, but lost my interest after a while)

For a while, my favourite comic series of all time.

Jim_Campbell

Milligan and Fegredo's Enigma is sublime. One of my very favourite comics. Although I don't think I've read it since it was originally published, I remember really enjoying his and Ted McKeever's The Extremist, too.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 09 September, 2013, 07:37:30 PM
As far as I'm aware he's dropped off all those books so not quite sure what he's up to at the moment?

He's doing a book for Vertigo (in some ways, his spiritual home) called 'The Discipline' - must be due out soon. He describes it as 'edgy and sexy'.

hippynumber1

The first 12 issues of Shade, the Changing Man ("The American Scream") were superb and, although it did kind of lose its way a little after that, DC need to put together an omnibus of the entire run as soon as humanly possible...