Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Headroom

I was just wondering about next year's Daily Star Dredd hardcover and, considering it is labelled as volume 1 of potentially a number, whether it will eventually include both the 'weekly Dredd strip' (1981-86) and the 'daily continuity strip' (1986-98)? Being somewhat of a completist and being totally unfamiliar with all this material, I was hoping everything would be collated at some point. Could anyone shed any light on this??

IronGraham

Yeah somehow, some day the world will stop, take breathe and as one re-evaluate Dante (or in the case of most evaluate it for the first time) and it will be judged well. People will take their copies of Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, Maus and other so called classic and throw them onto a fire to try to pay penance to this great series. Robbie Morrison, Simon Fraser and John Burner will be carried through the streets hauled and our new overlords and we'll finally get those nice (but not too thick) hardcover collections we all crave...

... to far?

Should of started with "I have a dream!"
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Skullmo

I tried reading the first dante book and just did not find it that engaging
It's a joke. I was joking.

James Stacey

Quote from: Skullmo on 11 December, 2013, 11:42:10 AM
Keep at it. It's only yourself you are cheating by not reading it

Recrewt

Quote from: Skullmo on 11 December, 2013, 11:42:10 AM

Yeah, I feel the same way about Dante as I do SinDex.  It's good but it's not the best from the House of Tharg.

hippynumber1

I think Dante is very much a 'large canvas' story. The early stories alone are very (seemingly) inconsequential but stick with it and it all pays off...

The Adventurer

Dante was something I'd never seen before and captured my attention from its first moments. It's the perfect combination of general weirdness and emotional drama. Shit be epic.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Judge Brian

Quote from: IronGraham on 11 December, 2013, 11:21:23 AM

Robbie Morrison, Simon Fraser and John Burner will be carried through the streets hauled and our new overlords and we'll finally get those nice (but not too thick) hardcover collections we all crave...

... to far?

Should of started with "I have a dream!"

I have a dream that Burns & Fraser will redraw any & all chapters that were drawn by other artists. (except for maybe the Weston drawn chapter.)

Bolt-01

The first time Dante 'clicked' for me was the Courtship of Jena. Before that I was largely ambivalent. After that I was hooked and along for one of the greatest rides of 2000 AD history.

TordelBack

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 11 December, 2013, 05:11:14 PM
The first time Dante 'clicked' for me was the Courtship of Jena. Before that I was largely ambivalent. After that I was hooked and along for one of the greatest rides of 2000 AD history.

Same for me.  I actively disliked Dante when it appeared first, I thought of it as a cod-Russian version of Dry Run with a cruel streak, badly-designed cyborg weapon things, cliched characters and gratingly repetitive dialogue.  I took a long break from the prog thenabouts, and came back at the start of Courtship and was frankly a bit annoyed to find it was still going.  My tune quickly changed, until I was wiping away a tear at the end of the Prog 2000 story. 

Re-reading it recently I would happily rate it as one of the all-time great 2000AD stories, with a strong internal rhythm to the plot and plausible development of likeable and loatheable characters, all seasoned with silliness and leavened with broad humour, and blessed by an exquisite tag-team of artists.  The end, which I was (appropriately enough) ambivalent about at the time now reads like the perfect conclusion, a masterclass in both restraint and vast ambition.

If you can hang on to the end of the first three collections, I'd be very surprised if you didn't stick with until the end.  The early stuff isn't bad on its own (certainly not in the way some early Dredd can be), but it really becomes something when you can appreciate it as part of the whole.

Dan Banks

Liking the look of the new Dante books chaps, seems like now is the time to get involved! Can anyone point me towards volume 1? Preferably with a cover that matches the new ones?!

Dash Decent

Quote from: Max Headroom on 10 December, 2013, 10:31:38 PM
I was just wondering about next year's Daily Star Dredd hardcover and, considering it is labelled as volume 1 of potentially a number, whether it will eventually include both the 'weekly Dredd strip' (1981-86) and the 'daily continuity strip' (1986-98)? Being somewhat of a completist and being totally unfamiliar with all this material, I was hoping everything would be collated at some point. Could anyone shed any light on this??

Whether we see more or not will come down to how well it sells, but there's obviously plenty of people who'd like to see it (at least on here), the fact that it's numbered gives hope of more and Rebellion seem to like having ancillary Dredd lines (like the Restricted Files) to leaven the Case Files releases with.  I'm going to buy it hoping for more but if it doesn't happen then I will look upon it as one being better than none.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Dan Banks on 11 December, 2013, 08:42:43 PM
Liking the look of the new Dante books chaps, seems like now is the time to get involved! Can anyone point me towards volume 1? Preferably with a cover that matches the new ones?!
As far as I'm aware, your choice is between the old DC/Rebellion Romanov Dynasty or the new Too Cool To Kill, neither of which matches. The latter is a far superior print though.

Skullmo

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 11 December, 2013, 12:20:11 PM
I think Dante is very much a 'large canvas' story. The early stories alone are very (seemingly) inconsequential but stick with it and it all pays off...

I thought that would probably be the case  - which is why I think a case files style collection would be better for me
It's a joke. I was joking.

Judge Brian

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 December, 2013, 09:20:50 PM
Quote from: Dan Banks on 11 December, 2013, 08:42:43 PM
As far as I'm aware, your choice is between the old DC/Rebellion Romanov Dynasty or the new Too Cool To Kill, neither of which matches. The latter is a far superior print though.

Why is it superior? I have the DC one & it seems fine to me. Does it have more stuff?