Talk about false advertising...

Why? Is Judge Dredd not in it?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Recrewt

Hawkmumbler

That cover makes it look good. Their is the false advertisement.   ;)

A steaming dog turd would have better fit. Or better still, a brown paper bag.

Molch-R

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 19 December, 2013, 04:08:10 PM
That cover makes it look good. Their is the false advertisement.   ;)

A steaming dog turd would have better fit. Or better still, a brown paper bag.

Hmmm, skirting a bit close to the wind. Please moderate your language.

Hawkmumbler

Molch-R

Grant Goggans

Ahem, anyhow.

Smudge is a darn fine artist, but Sin Dex roared back into "best thrill of 2013" status on the strength of John Burns working in perfect synch with Abnett.  Understanding that Sin Dex has had something like sixty different artists, Burns made last year's story so amazing that even the previously-definitive Sin Dex artist, Simon Davis, managed to disappoint when he showed up to fill in.

On the other hand, dang, Tharg, what a wild preview image by Lee Carter for the new Indigo Prime story.  My.  Can't wait to see what the heck that's about.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Molch-R on 19 December, 2013, 06:29:41 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 19 December, 2013, 06:25:32 PM
A speck of sheep poop?  :|

*finger hovers over 'ban' button*
I would urge you to recomsider...if I wasn't a huge masochyst. Come on, hit me! ;)

Back on topic, for my money, Smudge is a great artist, certainly worth a gig on Sin/Dex. Though I to hope his art is kept monotone, couloir would ruin the effect.

...ahem.....so whens this next series of Absalom coming again?

Mark Taylor

Quote from: James Stacey on 09 December, 2013, 01:14:07 PM
Daily Dredds Vol 1 - November 6th 2014.
Good things come to those who wait. Interesting to see how many of the new books are hardbacks. This makes me both happy and sad.

Or as the mock-up cover reads "The Daily Dredd's"... I'm glad it's not final. Powers that Be, please remove the catastrophe, apostrophe from the final cover. We don't want to add fuel to the fire for those who thing comics are for illiterates. :|

Dash Decent

Agreed (but already pointed out).
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 25 October, 2013, 05:36:37 PM
All the items in the foreground are listed in the back of the collection.

Mike Perkins did a fantastic job.

As promised, the back of the Sc-Fi Thrillers collection lists the 25 items on the cover...

Dash Decent

Yes, but some of them aren't actually on the cover because they didn't use the whole picture (though it is reproduced in full inside the book).
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Judge Brian

Quote from: Judge Brian on 12 December, 2013, 12:04:24 AM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 December, 2013, 11:51:53 PM
Quote from: Judge Brian on 11 December, 2013, 11:36:50 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 December, 2013, 09:20:50 PM
Quote from: Dan Banks on 11 December, 2013, 08:42:43 PM
Liking the look of the new Dante books chaps, seems like now is the time to get involved! Can anyone point me towards volume 1? Preferably with a cover that matches the new ones?!
As far as I'm aware, your choice is between the old DC/Rebellion Romanov Dynasty or the new Too Cool To Kill, neither of which matches. The latter is a far superior print though.

Why is it superior? I have the DC one & it seems fine to me. Does it have more stuff?
Better print quality. Nice and glossy.

I actually like the less glossy paper on the older DC/Rebellion trades. I'll have to track one down & look at it.

Thanks.

I picked up a copy of "Too Cool To Kill" for about $10 including shipping.

I HATE IT! Absolutely hate it.

All the color has been muted & made consistent. In one panel the colorist used blue to highlight the folds in a white shirt. Now the blue is barely perceivable. Every page is like that. It's almost like removing the brush strokes from a painting.

They have also taken out the titles & credits off the individual chapters, except for the Henry Flint story. Russia's Greatest Love Machine by Chris Weston has a spot in the artwork designed for both the title & the credits. It's left blank.

But worst of all, they take out much of the text. In each prog there would be a caption or two of recap. Half way through volume 1 the recaps became these little historical quotes about the situation Dante is in. They didn't so much recap what happened last prog as set the stage going forth. Both the recaps & the historical quotes have been removed. Once again the Henry Flint story is presented untouched other than the color. I wouldn't mind the recap being removed but removing the historical quotes is senseless.

The Adventurer

They removed the historical quotes? That's pretty nuts.

Its pretty common for resent 2000 AD strips to remove the title, credits, and recaps in trades (and most comics are designed for this in mind), but the early Dante stuff preseeds that trend I think. So unless they went back to the original page scans (unlikely?) they must have manually edited them all out via photoshop.

That's pretty sucky. But somewhat understandable... but the historical quotes... those are pretty dang integral to the Nikolia Dante strip's character!

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

TordelBack

Quote from: Judge Brian on 31 December, 2013, 03:23:44 AMI wouldn't mind the recap being removed but removing the historical quotes is senseless.

This sounds awful, but it is a natural consequence of the whole ridiculous practice of removing episode titles, credit boxes, recaps and next progs, which seeks to pretend that this was some seamless 'graphic novel' and not a collected story ingeniously told in satisfying 5-page weekly chunks which is what it is

AFAIC all it ever achieves is making the scripter look like a chump who doesn't understand story structure, and leaving ugly blank spaces all over the art.  Arguing that Americans/young people/non-scrots won't read something if they think it's in small chunks may have some validity, but when 'they' do read these bowdlerised collections they must be very disappointed, which I suspect is worse.

As I know I've ranted before, if the writer and artists produced a strip the specific intent that it be best presented as an unbroken story, then that's fine (although I suspect it would be a rare beast that would work like this and read well week-to-week).  Otherwise, leave it alone.