Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombo

Wait, 208 pages for Brass Sun?  That suggests there's to a third story printed in the Prog before the trade comes out which would explain the long delay, either that or it's going to have a really, really long foreword and a massive sketchbook at the back.

Edit, either that or Amazon is just wrong, which is quite common especially when they're saying it's hardback (oh I sort of hope it is, Brass Sun deserves to be a hardback collection).

Dash Decent

Amazon always seem to list these things as a hardback, which is why I don't include it as a detail when posting the links, however the Rebellion publishing catalogue for 2014 confirms Brass Sun is indeed a hardback, and 208 pages.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Tombo

In that case I believe the correct term to use is W00T!!11!oneone! although I may be mistaken.

Frank

Quote from: Dash Decent on 08 January, 2014, 01:34:46 PM

Judge Dredd Day of Chaos: Fallout
- 5 Jun 2014, 240 pages

So this is basically the start of collecting six months worth of Dredd stories in Case Files-style volumes soon after they appear in the comic, right? Good idea, and I suppose they've basically been doing as much for the last few years. Publishing and collecting those 26 part Wagner story cycles under a single title lends trades of stuff like Tour of Duty a cohesiveness, but those books in particular are really just Case Files with an organising theme.

Collecting a bunch of recent short stories under a title like Fallout makes me wonder if we're moving into an era where a years worth of Dredd stories are going to consist of two six month blocks organised around a big, centrepiece story by either Williams or Carroll each, with others riffing off their leads. I'd be happy to see the current very promising Titan and its repercussions serve as the basis for more stories, so they can be collected into a themed trade.

Dan Banks

Quote from: Tombo on 09 January, 2014, 06:35:51 PM
Wait, 208 pages for Brass Sun?  That suggests there's to a third story printed in the Prog before the trade comes out which would explain the long delay, either that or it's going to have a really, really long foreword and a massive sketchbook at the back.

Edit, either that or Amazon is just wrong, which is quite common especially when they're saying it's hardback (oh I sort of hope it is, Brass Sun deserves to be a hardback collection).

Great spot! My excitement for the year ahead just doubled. I think it's safe to say that Brass Sun was created with collected format in mind so book 3 should have an ending worthy of closing out the act. And hardback as well, lovely.

TordelBack

I'd like to offer my vote against Sauchie's hypothetical scheme, please.  'Events' are only interesting when they deviate from the normal course of things, and having regular cycles of stories grouped around a 'major' story takes away from the everyday craziness that should be the heart of the strip. 

That said, biannual collections under a title that suggests a cohesiveness of period is a great idea: I just don't personally want to see writers writing to that kind of brief (Day of Chaos follow-ons being an exception, since it's really the only game in town).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dan Banks on 10 January, 2014, 08:07:28 AM
Quote from: Tombo on 09 January, 2014, 06:35:51 PM

Great spot! My excitement for the year ahead just doubled. I think it's safe to say that Brass Sun was created with collected format in mind so book 3 should have an ending worthy of closing out the act. And hardback as well, lovely.

I kinda hope that's all right as it would mean more Brass Sun soonish which I'm all for and Tharg playing with formats and ideas. It might all of course just be Amazon nonsense.

If I was going to guess and of course this would just be an utter guess based on nowt but my reading, I'd suggest if Brass Sun was 'designed' for anything it feels more like something for the European market. Yeah part so far would fit beautifully into an album and it has a similar sensibility to a lot of what I read from Cinebooks...

... of course the truth of the matter is its probably written and structured to suit the story and a weekly anthology comic and anything else is just me reading too much into things!

IndigoPrime

Another reading: DoC sold well, hence a follow-up.

Robo-K33F

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 January, 2014, 11:54:03 AM

Someone who knows how all this works.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 10 January, 2014, 12:07:39 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 January, 2014, 11:54:03 AM
Someone who knows how all this works.
All my years in marketing and publishing have to count for something, right?

*painedexpressionface*

Dash Decent

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 10 January, 2014, 09:15:35 AM
I kinda hope that's all right as it would mean more Brass Sun soonish which I'm all for and Tharg playing with formats and ideas. It might all of course just be Amazon nonsense.

I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier reply and the Rebellion publishing catalogue for 2014:

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Quote from: Dash Decent on 30 November, 2013, 02:22:10 AM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 06 October, 2013, 11:18:48 AM
According to Digital Spy, a Kingdom novel, "Kingdom: Fiefdom" will be published in print and e-book format in July 2014.  Dan Abnett and Nik Vincent are the authors, and the story is set 100 years after the prog strip.

http://www.digitalspy.com.au/comics/news/a517946/dan-abnett-writing-2000-ad-kingdom-novel.html

It's now listed for pre-order at Amazon UK:

Fiefdom: A Kingdom Novel

by Dan Abnett and Nik Vincent
5th August 2014, 384 pages, Abaddon Books

I'm looking forward to this and will snap it up as soon as it is available.

Amazon UK are also pre-listing a special edition hardback in addition to the paperback:

Fiefdom: A Kingdom Novel [Special Edition]
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

hippynumber1

Now we need to know what's so special about it...

Dash Decent

Well for starters the price is pretty breathtaking!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

James Stacey

Standard price for a new release hard back book. No one pays that as its usually between £12 and £15 by the time its discounted by retailers