Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

that looks like the cost on the cover too zooming in. Is that more than usual? I never look at the price.

IndigoPrime

It's been £2.35 for a while. Given the amount of original content in the Prog, the price still seems pretty reasonable to me though.

Link Prime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 March, 2014, 01:10:43 PM
It's been £2.35 for a while. Given the amount of original content in the Prog, the price still seems pretty reasonable to me though.

Considering page count, production standards and talent, it is (and always has been) the best value comic available IMHO.
A small price increase every few years doesn't bother me in the slightest.

The Adventurer

How's that comparable to US comics over there?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Frank

Quote from: The Adventurer on 07 March, 2014, 09:57:01 PM

IDW's Rogue Trooper will set you back three pounds and thirty pence: http://www.forbidden-planet.co.uk/

The Adventurer

That's actually a pretty good conversion since Rogue will set you back Four American Funbux over here.

Edit. Or not. Apparently that's like $5.50 here. Yikes.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Frank

Quote from: The Adventurer on 08 March, 2014, 02:36:45 AM
That's actually a pretty good conversion since Rogue will set you back Four American Funbux over here. Edit. Or not. Apparently that's like $5.50 here. Yikes.

Expressed in the base unit of international consumerism, 2000ad is now about the same price as a happy meal from McDonalds.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sauchie on 07 March, 2014, 10:27:22 PM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 07 March, 2014, 09:57:01 PM

IDW's Rogue Trooper will set you back three pounds and thirty pence: http://www.forbidden-planet.co.uk/

Well that is Forbidden Planet for you. At my LCS a $2.99 book is either £2.20 and a $3.99 book $2.80. Which ever way you look at it Tharg is as ever generous to us all. Extra story pages, over-sized and, well, ya know just plain better than most everything else so. Yeah he's good to us.

Edited cos I forgot to say: Even when he does put prices up he does so in small increments - this time resisting the temptation to even go to say £2.50. In the US market for whatever reason it was decided that after $2.99 the next 'price point' (oh how I hate that phrase) was $3.99 - what like $3.25, or $3.50 whatever could never have existed... well okay there is the odd $3.50 book but the point carries I hope.

IndigoPrime

How much is Rogue Trooper #1 in the USA? I thought it was $3.99, in which case FP's pricing is OTT, but not quite as bad as if the original was $2.99. ($3.99 = £2.39 under current exchange rates; £3.30 is $5.52. Note that there are no taxes in the UK on print comics, although there will be on digital.)

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 08 March, 2014, 06:59:58 AM
Edited cos I forgot to say: Even when he does put prices up he does so in small increments - this time resisting the temptation to even go to say £2.50. In the US market for whatever reason it was decided that after $2.99 the next 'price point' (oh how I hate that phrase) was $3.99 - what like $3.25, or $3.50 whatever could never have existed... well okay there is the odd $3.50 book but the point carries I hope.

Good point Colin.
Tharg the non-corporate greed-monger.

Recrewt

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 March, 2014, 04:13:16 PM
How much is Rogue Trooper #1 in the USA? I thought it was $3.99, in which case FP's pricing is OTT, but not quite as bad as if the original was $2.99. ($3.99 = £2.39 under current exchange rates; £3.30 is $5.52. Note that there are no taxes in the UK on print comics, although there will be on digital.)

I had never really thought much about the exchange rate in FP but that is really a bit shocking.  Might not sound a lot but I bet it really makes a difference when you are getting a few comics each visit. 

Link Prime

Don't want to FP bash, but I stopped shopping there over a year ago. Their prices are criminal.
The exchange rate and arbitrary price differences in the Dublin branch were absolutely outrageous.

I now get my comics from three sources;

Big Bang Comics- best comic shop in the Republic (Dollar to Euro parity, and a mere €2.65 for the Prog, which is almost a Euro cheaper than everywhere else).
Comixology- still the best digital comics platform, month after print price decreases & bargain sales keep me as a regular customer.
Midtown Comics- great for exclusives / signed comics, or generally for sourcing a comic I may have missed the first time around. Shipping is pricey, but works out fine if you buy 6-7 comics.

MercZ

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 March, 2014, 04:13:16 PM

I haven't bought the IDW Rogue Trooper but it is indeed $3.99. IDW also has their Judge Dredd as well as Year One and the Mars Attacks crossover for the same price. That is before taxes of course, so usually when I buy a $3.99 comic at the city sales tax here I'm putting out $4.32 if I buy those.

I've seen some publishers price them at lower numbers, I read another series from Image called East of West which retails at $3.50 before taxes so $3.79 on that.

Link Prime

Interesting item from IDW next week; http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=1320437

I've previously purchased Locke & Key Treasury Editions, and they're a thing of beauty.
Cant think of an artist who'd suit this format more than Mick McMahaon.

Some classic Dredd stories in there, and a decent price. I'll give this a shot.

IndigoPrime

So is that a book or a big comic? As for Locke & Key, I really REALLY wish IDW would release the paperback earlier. I've read everything bar the last book and own them all in paperback. But — ARGH — hardback-only again, presumably for a year (unless you're German of French).