Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Probably not the place to note how much the new Dante trade dress has grown on me.

radiator

The new Dante design looks lovely - is that how Too Cool to Kill looks as well? Tempted to get 1-3 if the repro is that much better - those early Dante stories are some of my favourite 2000ad comics ever, and the pages in my old copy of Courtship are a bit loose. Have we seen the final covers for these new editions yet?

Also: are these US books? Can't seem to see them on Amazon.com

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: radiator on 09 May, 2014, 07:57:04 PM
Have we seen the final covers for these new editions yet?

@jamesfeistdraws

radiator

TordelBack

That Love and War cover is brilliant, but if you didn't know the story you might imagine that Dante is snogging his Mum in the background there... Has Roger gone all Pete Wells on us and started commissioning his own covers?

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 May, 2014, 08:13:21 PM
but if you didn't know the story you might imagine that Dante is snogging his Mum in the background there...

If you didn't know the story how would you know she was his mum?

EH?!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: radiator on 09 May, 2014, 07:57:04 PM
The new Dante design looks lovely - is that how Too Cool to Kill looks as well? Tempted to get 1-3 if the repro is that much better - those early Dante stories are some of my favourite 2000ad comics ever, and the pages in my old copy of Courtship are a bit loose.

Yes, this is the same design as TCTK - which does take the edge of my annoyance a bit. TCTK is no longer going to stick out like such a sore thumb on my shelf.

And I have to say, for those that have not seen it, the repro and design is fantastic. I compared various pages of TCTK against my old DC Romanov Empire and there's simply no contest. The colours pop, the contrast is amazing, and it all looks generally fabulous. They also edited out most of the original episode titles, recap boxes and 'next prog' taglines where appropriate - and I know that'll annoy some purists, but it really makes the world of difference. The art looks so much cleaner and less cluttered, and pages flow from one to the next really well. And 'where appropriate' is the key bit of info there, of course.
@jamesfeistdraws

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 09 May, 2014, 08:21:07 PM
but if you didn't know the story you might imagine that Dante is snogging his Mum in the background there...

EH?!
Never seen Moment By Moment then, eh!

Though knowing Dante I wouldn't put it past him to do his mommie dearest.

TordelBack

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 09 May, 2014, 08:21:07 PM

Let me rephrase that: you might think that the lady he's 'love'-ing with in the background is the lady he's 'war'-ing with in the foreground.  Albeit a younger fully binocular version.

Not to take away from what is a top cover.  Hey, is this now the canonical side for Katerina's eyepatch?   ;)

Colin YNWA

Wow those look just great. So happy this is happening but I must admit I assumed they'd be Simon and Shuster or at least a continuation of the US line ... either way time to get Dante'd up I feel.

Frank

Glenn Fabry's forgotten how to draw Judge Dredd, but not that he's an artistic genius, thankfully:

Dash Decent

It looked to me like Dredd had forgotten how to work his lawgiver.  Then I noticed his knee and my perception of the picture changed completely.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

amines2058

I am getting a bit of an Arnie vibe off Dredd's face on that cover...or is it just me?? :-*

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Judge Brian

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 May, 2014, 08:21:42 PM

They also edited out most of the original episode titles, recap boxes and 'next prog' taglines where appropriate - and I know that'll annoy some purists, but it really makes the world of difference. The art looks so much cleaner and less cluttered, and pages flow from one to the next really well. And 'where appropriate' is the key bit of info there, of course.

They also edited out quite a few of the historical quotes which is unforgivable.

I actually like the coloring in the older trade, it's like seeing the painters brushstrokes.