Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molch-R

Quote from: Richard on 17 September, 2014, 12:40:19 PM
Not sure what the point is of Judge Dredd: Luna-1 though, given that it is all in the Complete Case Files 1, with other stories too. Maybe it's in colour?

It's the next B-format book, same as the B&W ones we've done before.

IronGraham

Molcher is Hammerstein story apart of case files 24 or not now?
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Frank

Quote from: radiator on 17 September, 2014, 05:49:48 PM
QuoteNot sure what the point is of Judge Dredd: Luna-1 though, given that it is all in the Complete Case Files 1, with other stories too

Those stories suck but always get reprinted because of the Bolland artwork.

I agree completely, but I'm surprised how many folk new to Dredd seem to enjoy that early stuff. Maybe if you're used to US comics and the wacky early history of those characters you're more forgiving of the 1977 and 1978 Dredd stories that aren't The Ape Gang or The Academy of Law. I think those two might be the earliest Dredd outings I actually enjoy.

radiator

QuoteI agree completely, but I'm surprised how many folk new to Dredd seem to enjoy that early stuff. Maybe if you're used to US comics and the wacky early history of those characters you're more forgiving of the 1977 and 1978 Dredd stories that aren't The Ape Gang or The Academy of Law. I think those two might be the earliest Dredd outings I actually enjoy.

Fair point, though the very first Dredd collection I ever bought was a Titan Bolland collection and I really disliked the Luna 1 stuff even then. I always preferred Dredd to be in MC-1. I also distinctly remember reading that Lunar Olympics/War story and thinking "Is this that 'Apocalypse War' story I've heard so much about?

Also: no love for The Return of Rico?

Frank

Quote from: radiator on 17 September, 2014, 07:13:55 PM
Also: no love for The Return of Rico?

I'll say it's certainly a very important story in the history of the strip, and then run away to make my tea to avoid the collective wrath of fandom ...

ZenArcade

Which return of Rico, I loved them both! Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JOE SOAP

Those stories suck

Luna-1 is entirely justified by The Oxygen Board (Prog 57).

I, Cosh

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 17 September, 2014, 09:05:24 PM
Those stories suck
Luna-1 is entirely justified by The Oxygen Board (Prog 57).
It's entirely justified by this cover:
We never really die.

Molch-R

Quote from: IronGraham on 17 September, 2014, 06:38:02 PM
Molcher is Hammerstein story apart of case files 24 or not now?

No idea, sorry. I did ask but haven't had an answer.

dweezil2

Quote from: sauchie polling station on 17 September, 2014, 06:55:46 PM
QuoteNot sure what the point is of Judge Dredd: Luna-1 though, given that it is all in the Complete Case Files 1, with other stories too

Those stories suck but always get reprinted because of the Bolland artwork.

I agree completely, but I'm surprised how many folk new to Dredd seem to enjoy that early stuff. Maybe if you're used to US comics and the wacky early history of those characters you're more forgiving of the 1977 and 1978 Dredd stories that aren't The Ape Gang or The Academy of Law. I think those two might be the earliest Dredd outings I actually enjoy.

No love for The Robot Wars?

Pah! No pleasing some people!  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Max Headroom

Why wouldn't the 'Hammerstein' story be included??

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Max Headroom on 19 September, 2014, 10:17:29 AM

Pretty sure it wasn't the 'headline' Dredd strip in the issues it appeared, was it?

(This is smack in the middle of my 'wilderness years' for the prog — I think I bought these issues, but I'm not sure I actually read them...)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Fungus

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 September, 2014, 10:29:32 AM

Pretty sure it wasn't the 'headline' Dredd strip in the issues it appeared, was it?

(This is smack in the middle of my 'wilderness years' for the prog — I think I bought these issues, but I'm not sure I actually read them...)

Cheers

Jim

Exactly. Prog 960 is the last prog I bought back then (excluding my still-bagged prog 1000). The Cal Files and Hammerstein stories run concurrently at this time. With the prog slog in 'unread' territory at 820, it feels a long way off...   :o

Max Headroom

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 September, 2014, 10:29:32 AM

This shouldn't really be a problem as previous Case Files have always included the secondary story as well as the main (see CF 23 for example). Anyway, being the completist that I am, I do hope that it makes the final cut.

JOE SOAP

It had one cover but arguably it belongs in The Restricted Files.