Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

There are lots of 'Dredd' strips that haven't though. America for one and I seem to remember some of the Kenny Who ones too.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: James Stacey on 19 September, 2014, 11:07:22 AM
There are lots of 'Dredd' strips that haven't though. America for one and I seem to remember some of the Kenny Who ones too.
Thats because not only the editorial team but the creative temas also consider them less Dredd strips as they do their own series.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 September, 2014, 10:29:32 AM
Quote from: Max Headroom on 19 September, 2014, 10:17:29 AM
Why wouldn't the 'Hammerstein' story be included??

Pretty sure it wasn't the 'headline' Dredd strip in the issues it appeared, was it?
It was. It was during the period immediately after the film when there were two Dredd strips in every Prog in the same way as Return of Return of Rico.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Killer Hawk Queen on 19 September, 2014, 11:14:30 AM
Quote from: James Stacey on 19 September, 2014, 11:07:22 AM
Thats because not only the editorial team but the creative temas also consider them less Dredd strips as they do their own series.
It's because they were explicitly printed under the banner of another series, like The Dead Man. Hammerstein wasn't.
We never really die.

IndigoPrime

I still think omitting America was an error—the one big mis-step of the CFs—and I wonder how much it had to do with impacting on trade sales elsewhere. Given that follow-ups were under the Dredd banner, America was essentially a Judge Dredd tale, and the story had such an impact on the strip, its lack of inclusion is a huge shame. (Didn't that love story one with the garden also get omitted, yet the sequel show up in the CFs?)

Anzati

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 September, 2014, 11:36:38 AM
I still think omitting America was an error—the one big mis-step of the CFs—and I wonder how much it had to do with impacting on trade sales elsewhere.

It was for this reason alone that I own the America graphic novel...I do wonder how many others followed suit. I've also been umming and aaarrring ove the Kenny Who trade, but isn't that only one 10 page story that's missing, making it less worthwhile picking up :(

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 September, 2014, 11:36:38 AM
(Didn't that love story one with the garden also get omitted, yet the sequel show up in the CFs?)

I read Case Files 17 a few days ago, which contains what I presume is the sequel you mention; it certainly read like one...any idea where I can find the first story? Thanks :)

glassstanley

The first story is in one of the Restricted Files - it was originally in a Sci-Fi Special.

Richard

That Kenny Who? Story was three episodes. It was the second in a trilogy, and the first and third parts were Judge Dredd stories so it was mental to leave it out. I'm quite sure that Wagner would have written it and America as Judge Dredd stories and the editor pretended they were their own spin-off series to create the illusion of variety, even though Dredd is in every episode of each story.

Greg M.

Quote from: Richard on 19 September, 2014, 01:28:21 PM
I'm quite sure that Wagner would have written it and America as Judge Dredd stories and the editor pretended they were their own spin-off series to create the illusion of variety, even though Dredd is in every episode of each story.

John Wagner was consulting editor on the Megazine when it was launched and heavily involved in its development - I would imagine he was aware of how the stories would be published.

Richard

Bolt-01

What does TPO say about this?

Greg M.

TPO just says that Wagner wrote Young Death, America and Kenny Who? for the Megazine whilst in his (full-time) consulting editor role, which he subsequently gave up 'cos he didn't like sitting in judgement on other people's scripts. Steve MacManus then took over editorial control. It doesn't say anything either way about the decision to run the stories as self-titled strips rather than under the 'Judge Dredd' banner - could be Richard is right and MacManus made that decision, could be it was Wagner.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 16 September, 2014, 04:11:16 PM
Case Files 24 up for pre-order on Amazon ...A february release date, and a page count of 320 pages, which some clever person could probably use to work out the stories inside...
It's hard to say. 320 seems to be the default pagecount Amazon put on everything. Although that might be just be because they are all 320 pages.

Either way, from the The Cal Files to the end of The Pit is 270 pages. Given the normal division between Prog and Meg in the Case Files to keep the reprints broadly aligned in publication order, that means either splitting The Pit in half or only including a handful of Meg stories in this volume and heavily weighting the next one in compensation.
We never really die.

Skullmo

As a complete guess I would say some people see this as a movie tie in, trying to bring hammerstein into dredd's world and are therefore unhappy with it.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Skullmo on 19 September, 2014, 05:17:12 PM

As a complete guess I would say some people see this as a movie tie in, trying to bring hammerstein into dredd's world and are therefore unhappy with it.
The time line is messy enough thanks to Nemesis already featuring a Judge in it, so just give them the story.