Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 February, 2015, 06:42:41 AM
Quote from: Spikes on 19 February, 2015, 10:41:43 PM

If you see this post Molch - Is there owt else planned? Be lovely to see some other releases.

He's said elsewhere that at this stage alas not. We can only hope and its fun to speculate but looks like nowt else is coming.

There won't be anything else until Rebellion's programme of winding Morrison up is complete: the B-format Zenith digest, the coloured Phase I-III, the decoloured Phase IV, the Complete Grant Morrison, the Complete Peyne Files, the prose novel, the IDW Zenith miniseries...

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Professor Cardigan on 20 February, 2015, 10:40:27 AMthe decoloured Phase IV
Ah, if only. (Same too for those coloured pages in Phase I.)

James Stacey

I assume Zenith was viable due to all the original art being in the same place, which wouldn't be a case for most classic thrills.

Molch-R

Quote from: James Stacey on 20 February, 2015, 11:33:44 AM
I assume Zenith was viable due to all the original art being in the same place, which wouldn't be a case for most classic thrills.

I, Cosh

You could go round to Robbie Cox's house for Meltdown Man.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Yeah, watching Dave Sim trying to assemble the original art for the remastered Cerebus project has been a revelation - and that's self-published material that only ever went from Dave's house to the printers and back, and then was sold directly to collectors. Not the sorry story of airmail envelopes and indifferent storage across moves and editors and changes of ownership.

TordelBack

J.Smith

So, do many other 2000AD artists keep hold of their artwork that we know of? It'd be a dying shame, if this book turns out to be as glorious as I picture it in my head, for it be the only one at all, that's for sure. A workaround to a lack of all original artwork would be to follow IDW's line of thinking with their Artifact Editions, which reprint as much original art of a series that they could get a hold of (e.g. the Watchmen book collects 80 or 90-something pages of Gibbons' art on the series from various chapters) but you'd need enough pages to make that possible too obviously, so it's not much of a workaround really. Plus, though I don't follow the selling of 2000AD's original artwork, from what I have seen I've always gotten the impression that a significant amount of it - some of the best stories in particular - is in collector's hands rather than in the artist's homes, which is why this edition of Zenith has come as a big surprise to me.

I suppose, of course, that whether we will get any more artist edition books at all depends entirely on how well this first one sells, like the new edition of the first Case Files. Assuming it's an expensive one (again, daydreaming of the quality), those of you who have never bought such a book before needn't be put off. Those IDW books may have intimidating price tags but they're simply unbelievable when you behold the things in person and worth every penny if you're a big fan of the artist in question.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Professor Cardigan on 20 February, 2015, 12:12:29 PM
Ah, if only. (Same too for those coloured pages in Phase I.)
Heretic.
The colouring just always felt unnecessary. And Phase IV's art ended up being gloomy rather than starkly horrific as it might have otherwise been.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

hippynumber1

Quote from: J.Smith on 20 February, 2015, 01:43:52 PM
So, do many other 2000AD artists keep hold of their artwork that we know of?

Phil Winslade keeps all of his art (in spite of my begging)...  :'(

James Stacey

I think David Roach keeps his too ?

Spikes

I think that Steve still owns the bulk of Zenith, but not all of it. There is a handful of pages over on CAF that have flown the roost, and of course there's the page from eBay that was 'binned' by a courier recently. Presumabley that's gone for good...
It seems to be quite common practice by artist's to keep scans of their art, so im guessing this is what would have happened here.

Spikes

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 20 February, 2015, 04:00:43 PM
Quote from: J.Smith on 20 February, 2015, 01:43:52 PM
So, do many other 2000AD artists keep hold of their artwork that we know of?

Phil Winslade keeps all of his art (in spite of my begging)...  :'(

Maybe its more common practice now to keep hold of your art? Or hold onto it for longer, at any rate.
Certainly the older vintage stuff is scattered to the winds, and I doubt any of the longer form stories remain intact in the respective artists own collections.

Some collectors do own complete big name Dredd stories, so that could be a possible option.

And Robert Cox, unfortunately, hasnt mangaged to track down all of the Meltdown Man story. (I think he's missing about a dozen, but even he's not sure! And he also fears that a couple of pages may no longer exist).

The first Dredd, and Rogue Trooper episodes are complete, for instance, and are out there somewhere. As are a good few other vintage individual episodes from various 2000ad strips.
A collection of these would be nice to see.

Colin YNWA

I think that Firekind all sits happy with Paul Marshal, but I'm happy to be corrected there. Alas however good it is (and it is so good) I doubt it has the public awareness to justify this treatment. It should have but doesn't.