Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

I liked Survivor. Better that the second Mean Team outing anyway.

Colin YNWA

Yeah both Zippy Couriers and Medivac 318 really still hold up for me. So others aren't quite as strong but she was a very welcome different voice in the Prog for me.

IndigoPrime

Rummaging through Barney, it's interesting to see the balance of work she did. I don't really remember her Future Shocks, but Medivac clocks in at 132 pages and also had some excellent Dobbyn art. I always thought that strip had legs and should have run for years. I know 2000 AD returned to ER in space with Mercy Heights, but Medivac was the stronger series, to my mind.

It looks like Zippy Couriers and Chronos Carnival were equal second in page count. I found the former inoffensive and perfectly readable, but wasn't keen on the latter, bar the excellent design of the dragon. Survivor was fine. I forgot about her Doghouse scripts, though, and they were fun.

Link Prime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 September, 2016, 09:51:52 AM
Rummaging through Barney, it's interesting to see the balance of work she did. I don't really remember her Future Shocks, but Medivac clocks in at 132 pages and also had some excellent Dobbyn art. I always thought that strip had legs and should have run for years.

I'll admit that I've quite forgotten about it, and am looking forward to revisiting it in the next few Meg floppies.

Fungus

Does the FP website really quote a Medivac reprint in Meg 377?

I'd welcome that and am another who vaguely remembers this at the time... an enjoyable and different strip in tone (with nice shadow-laden Dobbyn art).
Thing is, Meg 376 shows more Sinister Dexter for 377. I'd trust the floppy over a website.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Fungus on 28 September, 2016, 02:33:49 PM
Thing is, Meg 376 shows more Sinister Dexter for 377. I'd trust the floppy over a website.
The listing in Previews has Medivac in both 377 and 378. Maybe there's been a problem with it?
We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: I, Cosh on 28 September, 2016, 02:45:50 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 28 September, 2016, 02:33:49 PM
The listing in Previews has Medivac in both 377 and 378. Maybe there's been a problem with it?

Much as I want to get my mitts on a Medivac 318 collection, the SinDex floppies have been so amazing lately that I'd like to see us roll straight through Malone and into the War of the Moses era before we take a break.  That said, it's win-win.

Fungus

Yup, I'm happy with either too.

Tony Angelino

I am stunned at the level of support for Hilary Robinson.

For me she was always part of the 'dark age' of 2000 AD for that led to me giving up on it for some time. I would re-read some of her old stories right now except I've put them in a place which is really awkward to get at.   

Frank

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 September, 2016, 09:51:52 AM
Medivac ... should have run for years

Felt like it did. There's nothing wrong with Robinson's writing, but running alongside The Horned God, Zenith Phase III, The Final Solution, The Dead Man and Wagner readying Dredd for the Long Walk, it felt pedestrian and inconsequential.

Everyone's so blandly nice. Robinson was trying to get away from punching and guns, but there isn't even any conflict between characters. The strongest emotion expressed by any member of the human cast is mild derision (followed by good natured compliance).

I'm glad everyone who enjoyed it is getting a chance to read it again.

Magnetica

I'd be happy if every floppy from now on featured Sinister Dexter until they run out of material. After that let's have some Battle and Action stuff, which is kinda implied on the Meg letter page this month.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 28 September, 2016, 07:32:05 PM
...After that let's have some Battle and Action stuff, which is kinda implied on the Meg letter page this month.

Yeah it will be interesting to see if material from the deal starts to appear in Floppies. You'd imagine a good chunk will be ear-marked for possible trade or hardcopy collection but you'd think they'd be plenty to go around. Though they might test the market to see how robust sales will be first before making too many decisions?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Frank on 28 September, 2016, 05:35:22 PMbut running alongside The Horned God, Zenith Phase III, The Final Solution, The Dead Man and Wagner readying Dredd for the Long Walk, it felt pedestrian and inconsequential.
Although later on, it rubbed shoulders with Harlem Heroes, War Machine (which reads great in one sitting but not in weekly chunks), and Dry Run. Perhaps I'll feel differently on re-reading the strip, but I always liked Medivac, and it was certainly a lot better than Mercy Heights, which has already been flopped.

As for material from other comics, now Rebellion has a ton of content, the smart move would be to sometimes use the Meg floppy as a massive teaser for paper or digital collections.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Jacqusie on 24 September, 2016, 02:08:44 PM

I'm looking forward to 'Hope' down the line - it looks very interesting and I think that Guy Adams has been building this world beforehand in his books (I may be wrong...)

Hope debuts in the end of year prog so we won't have to wait too long, Jacqsie.

As do Kingmaker from Ian Edginton & Leigh Gallagher, Dabnett & Mark Harrison re-unite more Grey Area, a Fall of Deadworld one-off courtesy of Kek-W & Nick Percival. Aquila: Mars in Venella from Grennie & Paul Davidson, the next series of The Order & "The Festival Flipflop" sees Ace & co. back in the prog proper again thanks to Eddie Robson & Nigel Dobbyn.

Oh, & Dredd by Rob Williams & the esteemed Chris Weston.

Looking good, Green Bonce. Looking mighty good.

Zarjaz, even.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

abelardsnazz