Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rately

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 10 October, 2016, 10:38:41 PM
Very pleased to hear about those new stories, and any new stories by John Wagner in general!

I'll second that.

Be interesting to see where the follow-up of Dark Justice takes us.

Also, has John McCrea ever done a Dredd strip before?

TordelBack

Quote from: Rately on 11 October, 2016, 08:51:16 AM
Also, has John McCrea ever done a Dredd strip before?

He has, most recently the lovely work on Shooter's Night. An artist with a wide range of styles at his disposal, all of them lively and expressive.

James Stacey

yeah hes done 3 or 4 before over the years

Fungus

And the Mars Attacks Judge Dredd series for IDW of course.

Rately

Love John's art, and I'll definitely have to grab the stories mentioned.

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

Trent

Chuffed Wagner is back on Dredd but not too thrilled by McCrea, Percival or the Dark Judges back but willing to be convinced.
What about PJ? 😉

Link Prime

Quote from: Frank on 10 October, 2016, 07:46:55 PM
"I've just finished a new Mechanismo story with John McCrae on art, and soon will be moving on to a follow up to Dark Justice with Nick Percival"

Good find there Frank, more Dredd by the Wagner Droid is always welcome.

Interesting that Percival is following Staples on the Dark Justice sequel, another connection for both Droids (Percival's Jonni Kiss story followed Staples' one-off intro, both artists were involved with The Clown II, and if I recall, they co-illustrated portions of Slaine: The Jealousy of Niamh).

Their styles were similar enough in the 90's, but have developed completely differently over time.
I can picture The Dark Judges in Percival's modern style in my minds eye, and I like it.

sheridan

When did mechanismo last appear?  It's been some time (not including Dredd stories).

James Stacey

They were seen in Tour of Duty weren't they as township security ? They are also in the current IDW run but that probably doesn't count

Link Prime

Quote from: sheridan on 11 October, 2016, 12:29:12 PM
When did mechanismo last appear?  It's been some time (not including Dredd stories).

Day of Chaos ('The Days After') I think...

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 October, 2016, 01:05:50 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 11 October, 2016, 12:29:12 PM

Day of Chaos ('The Days After') I think...

Wastelands, mabe? (Prog 1837-1841). Although they could have been those BritCit battledroids, I can't remember. Either way it's clear Justice Dept makes ample use of robots, it's just not in the 'unsupervised Judge' role, which is probably what defined the Mechanismo programme.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Frank on 10 October, 2016, 08:38:17 PM

I'm guessing hardback sales were healthy. Wagner's been saying he's bored with the DJs for a quarter of a century, but if he doesn't write it someone else will.

Because the music that they constantly play - it says nothing to John about his life?

Perhaps his interest in things Deadworld-ish has been re-invigorated by the sterling efforts of the Kek-W & Percival droids?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Frank

Maybe, but Tainted is a zombie virus strip. When Long took a crack at the DJs themselves (the four part Dreams of Deadworld) the results weren't great.

O Lucky Stevie!

Are you suggesting that this might be another case of how Jim Reid of the JAMC used to watch Top Of The Pops for musical inspiration, Frank?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 12 October, 2016, 09:31:50 AM
Maybe, but Tainted is a zombie virus strip. When Long took a crack at the DJs themselves (the four part Dreams of Deadworld) the results weren't great.

Disagree, Dreams was fantastic!  Re-reading Young Death courtesy of the Mega Collection I was struck by how well Kek-W picked up Wagner's ball and made a more interesting game with it, populating the gaps between the low-key comedy of Sidney's rise and the horrifying excess of Bolland's Deadworld with his own grotesques and nightmares.