Main Menu

What Dreddworld scenes have left the biggest impression on you?

Started by Third Estate Ned, 02 November, 2012, 08:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Third Estate Ned

I don't mean in the sense of "what's the best scene?". The more I read the comic the more I come across scenes where I think: that's sick/depressing. Then I think about it for a while and realise how original these ideas are and it makes me appreciate Dreddworld even more.

So, which scenes have made you put down what you're reading just so you can take a few seconds to let the implications sink in?

I originally wanted to say "shocking" instead of "surprising" but I think that veers towards the negative and undermines the range of genres the strip can accomodate.

Greg M.

Devlin Waugh: Swimming In Blood, where Murray wants to help the drowning freaks and Devlin discourages him. Everything about that scene makes it one of the most frightening and disturbing things ever to appear in a Tharg-spawned publication - art and script in perfect synergy to illustrate Murray's everyman decency contrasted with Devlin's utterly arrogant and elitist but resolutely pragmatic nature. In short, the nice guy is morally correct and honourable (I absolutely love Murray, I think he's one of the most likeable bit-part characters ever to appear in the world of Dredd), but that charismatic shit Waugh is unquestionably right.

Pete Wells

Quite a lot of the imagery in America is excellent - the Judge giving the stare to the ice cream dropping juve, the omniprescent judge presence watching the citizens and conversely, the graphic violence of Total War, were all were really effective. The future, despite having a MacNeil's wonderfully warm colour palette, never looked so bleak.

And lately, Dredd's slouch at the end of Chaos Day just blew me away. My beloved law man totally beaten, I couldn't believe it...

Jim_Campbell

The Dead Man... not content with that astonishing reveal, the series hits you with the blinding of Yassa and you think: fucking hell, that's bleak -- where can they go from here?

Oh. Necropolis.

Seriously... The Kraken stuff in Dredd, the original stealth crossover with Dead Man, and then Ne-fucking-cropolis. That's some serious comics.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Dirty Frank seeing the Judge Badge, in colour, at the end of the last Low Life story, simply incredible.

Zanti Misfit

The Satanus parts of the Cursed Earth, especially his backstory and seeing Dredd's world linked with Flesh. Satanus fighting the rival Tyrannosaur atop a volcano; "It was not a nice way to die!"

Dandontdare

mine's also from the Cursed earth, but it was Bolland's mutants that blew me away. I used to pore over those pictures for hours, particularly loved the star-scan of the supemarket checkout.

Spikes

The cover to Prog 661. Just totally blew me away at the time, and it still kinda stops me in my tracks even now.
I believe some jammy so-and-so called Peter owns the original art for it.

NapalmKev

Dredd losing his temper and Head butting a fellow Judge in an expenses row (Robot Bonneeeee) can't remember the story's actual name.

Inferno: the Judges retreated to just outside the city walls and there's a larege panel of Dredd, battered and bandaged-"I got my plan right here!!!".

Cheers  :)
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: NapalmKev on 03 November, 2012, 10:30:25 AM
Dredd losing his temper and Head butting a fellow Judge in an expenses row (Robot Bonneeeee) can't remember the story's actual name.

I was going to say that one (it's 'Error of Judgement', I think), although it's the idea of the brain damaged little girl who's nothing but a brain in a goldfish bowl that left the biggest impact.  It was the bow on top of that macabre robot body...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: NapalmKev on 03 November, 2012, 10:30:25 AM

Yeah, another Ron Smith classic!  That ending was very sad, and was one of those 'stop to think' moments.

My fave from recent years was the scene of a chunk of the Meg as Judges were trying to evacuate people from around a Total War nuke, and then that same scene just a few seconds later, when the nuke actually went off.  I spent ages comparing the two - it was a real stop and think moment, and so brilliantly captured.

Pioneer

My fave from recent years was the scene of a chunk of the Meg as Judges were trying to evacuate people from around a Total War nuke, and then that same scene just a few seconds later, when the nuke actually went off.  I spent ages comparing the two - it was a real stop and think moment, and so brilliantly captured.
[/quote]

This.

Richmond Clements

"I know. And you deserved better."
Maybe my favourite Dredd moment ever.