Main Menu

prog 2377: Come fry with me!

Started by The Monarch, 06 April, 2024, 12:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

A very good prog.

Dredd – This is all about survival. Still all-action without knowing anything about Dredd's secret mission. Enjoying the Shako moments really liking the art.

Boogie – This arc was quite different from the first one where we had long spells focusing on the world rather than being too wordy. Some interesting revelations and hopefully the next book is only the end of this arc rather than this interesting world.

Aquila – The first chapter starts of with some great action from Goddard. Great that this is back, and it looks like we will be in for a wild ride.

Prime – I am just looking at the pretty pictures as the words are just flowing off like water on a duck's back.

Vex – Another new character is introduced, and the world building continues. Great art, awesome story just really like this strange alien world.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Proudhuff

A much improved prog.

Dredd – Enjoyable punchy fighty bits, great Dreddisms and old man stuff. Intrigued by the mission. Art very good, so many people could have lost the thread here, but this is an easy flowing read.

Boogie – Another five pages of talking heads? how did we get here? This is not the beautiful House of Tharg, this is not a beautiful life...

Aquila – Great to see him and Kirk back, Never sure about the exposition dump while fighting but it moves things along, avoids the trap FTBoogie falls into and gets us to the meat of the story..

Prime – oooooh Vienna!

Vex – Stretching my limited brain power, but I'm enjoying the ride.

Maitland's Revenge? Business as usual? looking forward to that.
DDT did a job on me

norton canes

Great that in the rare absence of nothing specific to plug, there's an old-school Nerve Centre message from Tharg rambling about bizarre human behaviour. More of this sort of thing!

Nice to see that Moon's instinct to cut and run is already bearing fruit. Nice choice, Dredd. Hale would probably have tried to fly the HW302 into it. Agreed that much of Full Tilt Boogie hasn't had the same manic energy as the early chapters. Would be a shame if it regains its mojo only to conclude. Aquila was great, as ever - is it also surging towards its climax? If so, roll on The Alienist book three!

Proteus Vex is fast becoming an all-time classic thrill. You know something's really good when a fantastic episode like this doesn't even feature any of the protagonists. The spaceship is a barrel. Love it.

Richard

The Alienist was pretty good, I'd like to see that again.

Funt Solo

I'd like to see Mechastopheles back as well.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Jaegir for me with some lovely Coleby art
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Max Headroom

'Diaboliks' is one that I would like to see return.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Richard on 11 April, 2024, 02:36:15 PMThe Alienist was pretty good, I'd like to see that again.

Agreed, would be good to get 'closure' on this one!!
DDT did a job on me

Funt Solo

Cover: good, but not as good as:

Fudge Bread: don't panic! He still has his boot knife, I think. Is Williams channeling DKR? All the internal monologue and the young sidekick. Anyway - clueless still about why we've ended up out here and what the mission is, but I suppose that's all irrelevant as the mission parameters have changed to "stay warm and ahead of Shako's bigger cousin". I'm really enjoying the art - the facial expressions are really selling it.

Boogie Wonderland: setting us up for the next part of the mission. This is fine, but fair points have been made about it being a bit slow if it's read weekly. I don't actually mind that we have something paced a bit differently, but if you're wanting weekly "shots of rocket fuel", then I can see how this might play at the wrong speed. Looking forward to the next series.

Blackhawk: "Why, you slimy, double-crossing, no-good swindler! You've got a lot of guts coming here, after what you pulled." ... [clang, smash] ... "How you doing, you old pirate?" Could you remove a pound of your own flesh? The Internet Detectives are on the case! Patrick Goddard's email to GRrrr: "Anything you can do to reduce the number of eyes? I really don't like drawing eyes." Explains a lot. (Nothing else sensible to say - it's really good, so...)

Periwinkle Supreme - the appeal has to be something other than the lives and deaths of the characters, because when Jerry Foundation gets cut in half, well, wasn't he already dead? Did he used to wear a universe? Is that the same person from the same reality? Is he really cut in half, like that guy that got shot in the face but was fine a couple of episodes later, or will he just sew himself back together with a magic space zip? What the fuck is going on, Kek? Do you know? Did John ever know? Never mind - big explosions and weird things. (As above, I do actually like this.)

Salamander Irk - best thing in the prog - continues to surprise while still moving an over-arching plot forward and remaining dense with dialog, comedy beats and action. It's a real treat.

---

Top prog running a five-for-five wanna readingness factor. Bonus Maitland thing makes it all feel curated, and cared for. Sword percent symbol on shoulder pad a nice touch.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

Thanks for that link, that was definitely worth following!