Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

For some reason I ended up watching DOOM (2005).

To say it's underwhelming is a massive understatement. Run and gun action with multiple monster types is replaced with haunted house/slasher movie stuff with just a couple. Which is poorly executed too.

Any redeeming features? Well,  The Rock; he wasn't Dwayne yet. And that means he doesn't just play smart alec super cop spy guy. (which I love). And Urban and Rosamund Pike.

Rosamund Pike had me thinking about female parts. I don't know why more movies don't do the sibling thing. It let's the lead characters have a relationship without shoehorned romance and allows for better written female parts. Not that they take advantage of it here. 

But ultimately: DOOM? More like SHIT.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

pictsy

I watched Doom again a month or two ago.  It is largely boring.  I did like the nano-wall thing.  A decent enough idea.

Bubba Ho-Tep
I haven't watched this in a long, long time and it was damn well worth revisiting.  Elvis swapped out his life with an impersonator and now he is stuck in some dingy retirement home in Texas.  I finds a new lease on life when other residents start dying and he smells adventure.  With the help of his friend, JFK, he embarks on a quest to save the residents of the retirement home and their souls.  This film is great.  Bruce Campbell is in his element and this might be my favourite performance of his next to Evil Dead 2.

TordelBack

Bubba Ho-Tep remains superb, a quite unique film that knows exactly what to do with its star's searing charisma.

Ralph Wrecks the Internet. Having found the first one a bit dull, I approached the sequel with phone in hand ready to offer my sage opinions on a few of Colin's proliferating deathmatches. Alas, my thoughts on GFD were postponed,  because this was much more fun than expected. Yes, it's one giant corporate love-in, but The Disney Princesses sequence is as tightly written a piece of comedy as you're likely to see, and the embodying of targeted pop-ups had me giggling repeatedly.  I did enjoy seeing Pinterest wrecked by a swarm of clone Ralphs.

Silverman, Reilly and Tudyk are pretty great, enjoyment of the rest of the cast may depend on your tolerance for Gal Gadot (mine is quite high). Surprisingly good.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 June, 2020, 11:57:06 AM
Ralph Wrecks the Internet.... Surprisingly good.

I loved this one. Need to watch it again but it got the balance of kids jokes with adult edges pretty much spot in as I recall. The end is a little overblown though which is a shame as otherwise its spot on.

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: pictsy on 07 June, 2020, 11:27:27 AM
I watched Doom again a month or two ago.  It is largely boring.  I did like the nano-wall thing.  A decent enough idea.

Bubba Ho-Tep
I haven't watched this in a long, long time and it was damn well worth revisiting.  Elvis swapped out his life with an impersonator and now he is stuck in some dingy retirement home in Texas.  I finds a new lease on life when other residents start dying and he smells adventure.  With the help of his friend, JFK, he embarks on a quest to save the residents of the retirement home and their souls.  This film is great.  Bruce Campbell is in his element and this might be my favourite performance of his next to Evil Dead 2.

Just a shame the 'Bubba Nosferatu' sequel never happened! (Though apparently it's reference in the end credits was just a joke anyway)

Mardroid

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 07 June, 2020, 12:21:54 PM
Quote from: pictsy on 07 June, 2020, 11:27:27 AM

Bubba Ho-Tep

Just a shame the 'Bubba Nosferatu' sequel never happened! (Though apparently it's reference in the end credits was just a joke anyway)

Agreed. They did do a comic (it's a prequel, not a sequel) but I didn't think it was that good.

Trooper McFad

After being recommended ages ago I've jumped in and started the John Wick films. Got through Chapters 1 & 2 and I've enjoyed the romp so far. I'll try and get 3 watched in the next day or so to finish the trilogy.
One drawback is the repetitive way & number of kills he does during the fight scenes.
Hopefully he'll get a conclusion to his quest for a quite life.
Overall enjoyable switch off action films
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

pictsy

I felt personally insulted by John Wick 3.  Never has a film gone to such great efforts to waste my time.  I would recommend avoiding it because it is utterly pointless.  It reeks of a cash grab, a cynical sequel in service of prospective future sequels.  I wouldn't necessarily mind that, but [spoiler]it finishes the way it starts and nothing in between seemed to count for anything[/spoiler].  If you find the action repetitive then stay away from 3.  It's pretty much all it has going for it.  There is no conclusion, there is no continuation, there is nothing but fights and stupidity.  I don't know whether it is coming across, but I despised the film.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 June, 2020, 02:45:22 PM
Quote from: Daveycandlish on 05 June, 2020, 08:42:25 AM
Sat down and watched Solo - a Star Wars story yesterday.
Honestly think it's the best Star Wars film for 35 years. Don't know why it didn't do better business.

Because customer reaction was swayed by relentless aggressive negativity from the same kind of overly vocal edgelord pricks that helped us into Comicsgate, Brexit, Trump and #AllLivesMatter, who were angry this time because some other Star Wars film now had ladies and worse, asian ladies (but not the f**kable kind).

It was only two years ago - has everybody forgotten that half of the negative comments online were shown to be from Russian bots and trolls?

sheridan

Quote from: Professor Bear on 06 June, 2020, 05:23:32 PM
The Invisible Man - I liked it when he was a metaphor for trauma, but less so when he was an actual man that was invisible.  I had seen absolutely nothing of this before watching it and that was for the best, as I got to feel like my mate must have done that time he finally watched the Terminator movies and was surprised that Arnie was the good guy in T2 and Robert Patrick was the baddie, which I had never noticed as a bait-and-switch the first time I watched the movie because everyone knew Arnie played the good guy months ahead of the movie's release.  Anyway, The Invisible Man is actually quite good, but do yourself a favor and try to see it cold.

As with Phantom Menace (and I think I've gone in to this on this forum before) the pre-publicity ruined one of the best bits of both films.

Phantom Menace - it's a real surprise when Darth Maul extends his lightsabre in both directions, showing that he's prepared to fight both jedi.  Except it isn't a surprise because we'd all seen the toys beforehand.

In T2 there's some nice foreshadowing as Patrick looks at a shiny silver shop mannequin, which shouldn't have meant anything to the viewer if we hadn't already seen it all in the trailers and Guns 'n' Roses music video already.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: pictsy on 07 June, 2020, 01:12:38 PM
I felt personally insulted by John Wick 3.  Never has a film gone to such great efforts to waste my time.  I would recommend avoiding it because it is utterly pointless.  It reeks of a cash grab, a cynical sequel in service of prospective future sequels.  I wouldn't necessarily mind that, but [spoiler]it finishes the way it starts and nothing in between seemed to count for anything[/spoiler].  If you find the action repetitive then stay away from 3.  It's pretty much all it has going for it.  There is no conclusion, there is no continuation, there is nothing but fights and stupidity.  I don't know whether it is coming across, but I despised the film.

Thanks for the heads up I might just put this on the back burner until I've exhausted all my other options
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC

Mail's double ender was in the trailer.

Colin YNWA

Well the boy child and I are working our way through 'The Skywalker Saga' as I believe it is now called and over the last couple of weekends have watched Star Wars (A New Hope - if you must) and well its still got it hasn't it.

There's probably nothing left to say about this classic - well its more than a classic isn't by now this legned of cinema... but as ever that won't stop me will it.

The thing that surprises me each time I view it is how well its aged. Now fair to say that view is through the lens of someone whose mind has been shaped since the age of 5 (or more likely 6 by the time I actually saw this) by adoring this movie. Its shaped - along with 2000ad what I think of as good entertainment - but it looks so good. In fact a few graphics aside and bits and bobs the things that have dated the worst are the 'new edition' CGI add ons.

I asked the boy about this to try to get past my filters and he shrugged and said it looked fine - except it was a bit dark at times so you couldn't see all the detail in the backgrounds. Other than that he liked that everything looked old and used and the ship and costumes were cool.

I've long said, either by luck or design the key elements of Star Wars help this immensely. Barren sand worn hick planet that looks timeless. Stiff classic military uniforms likewise timeless. And a design of ships and vehicles that was so original that it defied its time and in many ways defined what followed so hae avoided aging so well.

It all looks so authentic... well as authentic as a story about space wizards and rocket battles can!