Main Menu

Prog 2189 - Hunger Strike

Started by Colin YNWA, 06 July, 2020, 08:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: broodblik on 08 July, 2020, 08:02:01 PM
I am not sure if anyone noticed that the art of Diaboliks is done by Antionio Fuso and not Dom Reardon since last week. His art is very similar to Dom's art.  Do anyone know if he did anything else in the prog or is he a prog rookie ?

He followed on from Dom for some episodes of Ichabod Azrael, too.

broodblik

Thanks for that I will check it out  :thumbsup:
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jacqusie

Quote from: judgeurko on 08 July, 2020, 03:45:17 PM
I'm finding this new Dredd...  ...all feels rather rushed

The villains seem rather bland & faceless

This is what I was thinking, it's a bit strange as Rob Williams usually spends a while building back stories to his Characters before they dissappear (Think Judge Sam)

I was waiting for some big reveal in this weeks story for the baddie... but there wasn't anything really. It's a great concept that maybe we could have had a few prologue tales to build up the narrative.

Speaking of big reveals, that's not Dredd on the cover, it's a set of stage curtains... that or the old boy has put a bit of timber on!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 08 July, 2020, 08:04:13 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 08 July, 2020, 08:02:01 PM
I am not sure if anyone noticed that the art of Diaboliks is done by Antionio Fuso and not Dom Reardon since last week. His art is very similar to Dom's art.  Do anyone know if he did anything else in the prog or is he a prog rookie ?

He followed on from Dom for some episodes of Ichabod Azrael, too.

Also a Dredd in Meg 331. In both of them he traced various panels from Jock's artwork - hopefully he's realised he doesn't need to!
@jamesfeistdraws

judgeurko

Quote from: Jacqusie on 08 July, 2020, 08:27:26 PM
Quote from: judgeurko on 08 July, 2020, 03:45:17 PM
I'm finding this new Dredd...  ...all feels rather rushed

The villains seem rather bland & faceless

This is what I was thinking, it's a bit strange as Rob Williams usually spends a while building back stories to his Characters before they dissappear (Think Judge Sam)

I was waiting for some big reveal in this weeks story for the baddie... but there wasn't anything really. It's a great concept that maybe we could have had a few prologue tales to build up the narrative.

Speaking of big reveals, that's not Dredd on the cover, it's a set of stage curtains... that or the old boy has put a bit of timber on!
Yes I know Williams has said he wanted to make an old school epic like The Cursed Earth or The Judge Child stories but, & I don't mean to be patronising, there's something unsophisticated about End of Days. It feels like a first draft script with the outline of an idea but lacking substance. Maybe a prologue story would have helped like Block Mania leading into The Apocalypse War.  We could have had an Ichabod Azrael story that we only realise at the end is a prologue to End of Days.

TordelBack

Quote from: judgeurko on 09 July, 2020, 10:01:47 AM
Maybe a prologue story would have helped like Block Mania leading into The Apocalypse War.  We could have had an Ichabod Azrael story that we only realise at the end is a prologue to End of Days.

Now that could have been fun. A story about Ichabod and the angel, then an episode or two of looming crisis in Dredd and up they pop. I know it's an overdone concept in the prog now, but four supernatural beings killing the world in thematic ways is hardly unprecedented either...

Richard

Nah, that would just have been "let's do Trifecta again." It's been done. I'm happy to just plunge into a new story and get straight into the action with no messing about.

broodblik

The problem with all these build-up story-lines it can take years in the making sometime getting into epic without any other prologue, prequel type story is fine
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Quote from: Richard on 09 July, 2020, 01:11:40 PM
Nah, that would just have been "let's do Trifecta again." .

As opposed to 'let's do the Dark Judges again, but with less personality'? It's not the twist I'm after, I'm just casting about for something to give this story substance, beyond the art.  Maybe integrating Ichabod properly could have been it.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

The cover is bugging me. "He is the jaw". Now I suppose technically that is a mouth, and mouths have jaws. But it being a circular orifice with no feasible bone structure, surely "he is the maw" would have been more appropriate?

It's that "a lot of blood has flown/ flowed under the judge" all over again.

Other than that, good proggage. Not really keen on this Dredd story so far- it feels too much like a 'Dredd epic by numbers' that's been sitting in a drawer for an emergency. And The Order baffles me.
But The Out, Diaboliks and Full Tilt Boogie are excellent. I'll take three out of five for a result.

And letters! Letters should be every week. With no exceptions.

SBT

AlexF

So if Titan/Enceladus was Rob Williams doing Dredd: Inferno, but better, I wonder if End of Days is his attempt to do 'City of the Damned' - but for whatevere reason it's also mired in the same problems that epic. Lush art, crazy high stakes, but somehow just not quite engaging.

I did like the Prog overall but I confess the moment that most caught my eye was when the young lad on the letters page quite openly listed Dry Run as one of his faves. Heartening to hear that new readers can fall in love with the Prog thanks to a long box full of early 90s wonders, the time when my own squaxx brain was ignited.

dweezil2

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 09 July, 2020, 04:07:23 PM
The cover is bugging me. "He is the jaw". Now I suppose technically that is a mouth, and mouths have jaws. But it being a circular orifice with no feasible bone structure, surely "he is the maw" would have been more appropriate?

It's that "a lot of blood has flown/ flowed under the judge" all over again.

Other than that, good proggage. Not really keen on this Dredd story so far- it feels too much like a 'Dredd epic by numbers' that's been sitting in a drawer for an emergency. And The Order baffles me.
But The Out, Diaboliks and Full Tilt Boogie are excellent. I'll take three out of five for a result.

And letters! Letters should be every week. With no exceptions.

SBT

I still think they missed a trick by not going with Teeth Thousand AD!!!  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

judgeurko

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 July, 2020, 01:27:33 PM

As opposed to 'let's do the Dark Judges again, but with less personality'? It's not the twist I'm after, I'm just casting about for something to give this story substance, beyond the art.  Maybe integrating Ichabod properly could have been it.
Yeah it needs something especially as we are on part 6 already. Still wondering why Ichabod is even in the story. Unless he will end up being one of the four?

broodblik

Quote from: judgeurko on 09 July, 2020, 06:11:00 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 09 July, 2020, 01:27:33 PM

Yeah it needs something especially as we are on part 6 already. Still wondering why Ichabod is even in the story. Unless he will end up being one of the four?

We else was going to bring the head of the Angel ?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Can't help but wonder if this was rushed into the prog at the expense of build up, in order to meet production deadlines in lockdown. Tharg probably has a drawer full of mega epics in case a page is late.
Lock up your spoons!