Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

When my daughter was seriously ill a few years ago the NHS couldn't do anything wrong. From start to finish everyone was great. When Sophie was ready to leave some of the nurses that looked after her when she was in ICU came to see her off.
Whoever came up with the quick response paramedics idea needs to be knighted. I am convinced that saved her life. Every time I see one stationary in a lay-by it gives me a warm feeling inside.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Old Tankie on 29 April, 2011, 04:58:01 PM
but, hey, leave the Wedding alone.  Me and the missus have had a lovely day, watching all the pomp and ceremony, sharing a nice glass of Pimms, and hanging the bunting out, lovely jubbly!!  But then we are a pair of old Tories!!

As long as you enjoyed yourselves then thats the main thing  :D

I received my complimentary Fortnum and Mason hamper on the big day so i was able to enjoy a selection of fine cheeses and preserves and biscuits and a whole side of wild smoked salmon plus assorted champagnes and liqueors while celebrating so i am not really complaining  ;)
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

I, Cosh

So, this alternative vote referendum. Yes, no or spoilt ballot?

It's not remotely proportional but if you can change the electoral system once you can change it again.
We never really die.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

It's a bit ironic for me, in Northern ireland we're voting for the local assembly using AV, and then voting on whether we want AV or not.

No one ever asked us if we wanted it in the first place. If the tories seem to think its a horrible idea, then why's it ok to implement it here?
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

Votes don't matter in a plutocracy, no matter how they are cast.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

We need more meritocracy. I reckon it would prevent P.R gimps becoming prime minister and (in N.I) stop people who left school at 15 becoming education ministers
You may quote me on that.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 04 May, 2011, 09:22:12 PM

I bet you voted in the last election.

The Legendary Shark

I did. I voted for "None of the Above" in a special box I added in crayon.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 04 May, 2011, 09:51:19 PM
I did. I voted for "None of the Above" in a special box I added in crayon.

Doesn't that contradict your last statement and why you bothered to vote?

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 04 May, 2011, 09:22:12 PM

The Legendary Shark

Absolutely. It's a choice between apathy or rebellion, I suppose.

I never claimed to be consistent.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JOE SOAP

I'd say the apathy could be more effective. Rebellion through systemic support doesn't really work. The system relies on citizen reflexivity.

QuoteI never claimed to be consistent.

Ae you a Mark Millar character?

The Legendary Shark

Apathy is seen as acquiescence. Maybe one day they'll get more spoiled votes than "good" votes - then what will they do? probably nothing, but there's always a chance, however slim.

And I thought I'd already made this clear, but I actually have no character at all. Not a shred.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 04 May, 2011, 10:14:08 PM
Apathy is seen as acquiescence. Maybe one day they'll get more spoiled votes than "good" votes - then what will they do?  probably nothing

Nothing is right, it'll just show democracy is bollocks whereas not voting all ready knows that. The more important question is what will we do to organise our own 'alternatives' now the politicos are irrelevant?

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 04 May, 2011, 10:14:08 PM
And I thought I'd already made this clear, but I actually have no character at all. Not a shred.

What's with the shark then? Tax dodge?

HOO-HAA

So, it's voting day tomorrow. And I've just thought of this year's spoil. Now, can any boarder name this quote:

'It's bullshit, all of it. The Cabinet minister. The whole business. You got us in here to do your dirty work...'

:D

The Legendary Shark

I don't think that democracy is bollocks - the way we use it at the moment is bollocks. As for how to fix it? Jeez, if I knew that do you think I'd have the time to be posting on a comic forum? All I know is that there must be a better way. I can see elements of that better way (socializing the money supply, breaking the stranglehold of corporations, switching our resources from war to peace), but I'm the first to admit that these are just broad-stroke ideals and the reality is much more complex. It's something we should all be working on, I think.

There is a better way, and we will find it. It's just a matter of how long it's going to take us to wake up and how many of us are going to be gunned down before we do, that's all.

Nah, the Shark thing's just an erotic diversion...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]