Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 28 November, 2013, 08:21:25 PM
Haven't seen the BBC today and RT hasn't mentioned Nigella. RT's been on about earthquakes in Texas caused by fraccing, a terrorist attack on the Russian embassy in Damascus, the fifth day of pro-EU trade protests in the Ukraine, the Thai prime minister surviving a vote of no confidence, the increase of child labour throughout Europe (including Russia, Bulgaria and the UK), the world's first working computer 3d printed gun and why it's been banned in Philadelphia, Putin condemning drone strikes, Cameron and a few other European leaders complaining about freedom of migration and the possibility of growing crops on the Moon - but of Nigella, not a word.

They need to get their priorities straight!

The Legendary Shark

Heh - latest report on RT is the most tragic stories of the day: 240,000 bottles of beer have been confiscated and destroyed in Nigeria: www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/world/2013/11/28/nigeria-sharia-police-smash-240000-bottles-of-beer

Oh! The humanity!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 28 November, 2013, 08:38:48 PM
Heh - latest report on RT is the most tragic stories of the day: 240,000 bottles of beer have been confiscated and destroyed in Nigeria: www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/world/2013/11/28/nigeria-sharia-police-smash-240000-bottles-of-beer

Oh! The humanity!

240,000 bottles of beer on the wall...

Richmond Clements

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 28 November, 2013, 08:21:25 PM
Haven't seen the BBC today and RT hasn't mentioned Nigella. RT's been on about earthquakes in Texas caused by fraccing, a terrorist attack on the Russian embassy in Damascus, the fifth day of pro-EU trade protests in the Ukraine, the Thai prime minister surviving a vote of no confidence, the increase of child labour throughout Europe (including Russia, Bulgaria and the UK), the world's first working computer 3d printed gun and why it's been banned in Philadelphia, Putin condemning drone strikes, Cameron and a few other European leaders complaining about freedom of migration and the possibility of growing crops on the Moon - but of Nigella, not a word.

Did they mention their brutal oppression of homosexuals and Pussy Riot at all..?

The Legendary Shark

Not today, no - but Pussy Riot have had a lot of airtime in the past, as have the apparently unpopular and widely opposed (according to the RT reports I remember) anti-gay laws.

rt.com/news/tolokonnikova-move-pussy-riot-144/

rt.com/tags/pussy-riot/

Of course, just like the BBC or CNN, RT must be cautious when reporting certain things. For CNN it's stuff like Guantanamo Bay, for the BBC it's the City of London and for RT gay laws. That doesn't mean they don't try, though:  rt.com/op-edge/meet-true-journalists-kirchick-924/

It's an ache in the fundament to trawl the RT website with this 'phone so I can't really comment any further. Maybe someone with a PC could have a quick trawl to ascertain the level and quality of the reporting on this issue as it's not something I've really been following.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

All the way through, yes.

Didn't understand a word of it and didn't follow any of the links, either.  Rich merely asked if the subject had been mentioned - he didn't specify the parameters of that mention. Well, there's a mention - I don't know how many more there are.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Eric Plumrose

I suspect you may have taken Rich's post a little too literally.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 28 November, 2013, 10:38:58 PM
Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 28 November, 2013, 10:28:30 PM
Shark, did you actually read the article you linked to?

All the way through, yes.

Didn't understand a word of it and didn't follow any of the links, either.  Rich merely asked if the subject had been mentioned - he didn't specify the parameters of that mention. Well, there's a mention - I don't know how many more there are.

Rich didn't provide any parameters, true. He didn't need to, though, because you provided one anyway when you said:

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 28 November, 2013, 09:34:48 PM
That doesn't mean they don't try, though

which, in your own context of RT being "cautious", infers that RT does at least report on the Kremlin's homophobia, even with the restrictions imposed on it by the channel's sponsor, the Kremlin.

Thing is, the article you linked to is over three months old and full of snark. And actually a reaction to someone saying stuff RT didn't like rather than, y'know. Just reporting the news. Which might explain why you didn't understand a word of it, because it's merely a "mention".

And which I suspect is kind of what Rich was getting at.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

SuperSurfer

Side note on the theme of money: I find US artist Boggs fascinating. He creates pieces of art based on dollar bills. Collectors pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for his work. Boggs goes to stores and rather than use dollar bills he offers to swap his art for goods. He's not using his art as counterfeit dollar bills but is swapping it. If people accept they can make a heck of a lot of profit if they sell on to a collector. I saw a programme once in which he swapped some of his art for a Harley Davidson bike. As expected, he is viewed with suspicion by the authorities and has been arrested a number of times in various countries – including the UK where Bank of England notes were apparently redesigned because of his antics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._S._G._Boggs

Boggs' Bills: Money as Art | Secret Life of Money
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ5x2-VUGXI

The Legendary Shark

There's a half hour documentary on RT right now, that will probably be repeated all day, about the struggle of a Russian transsexual trying to get a sex change operation and day to day life.

Not exactly what was asked about (again) but there it is.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

If I paid tax, I'd feel I was finally getting some value for my money:  Miracle on Kildare Street.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 November, 2013, 11:46:36 AM
There's a half hour documentary on RT right now, that will probably be repeated all day, about the struggle of a Russian transsexual trying to get a sex change operation and day to day life.

Not exactly what was asked about (again) but there it is.

So your point is . . . what?
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

The Legendary Shark

My point is whatever you need it to be.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

The Legendary Shark

And just before the blank.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]